Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sony announces PlayStation 4

ExpandMyMind

Sony has officially announced the launch of the PlayStation 4 (PS4) -- the next generation console from the Japanese company.

Sony's Andrew House revealed the console at a launch event in New York and it marks the next major step for PlayStation gaming.

Hardware

The new console features an eight-core CPU, eight gigabytes of RAM, a graphics processor capable of nearly two teraflops of processing power, and storage will be hard disk based.

It will feature a redesigned controller, called the DualShock 4. This controller includes a front-facing touch panel and an integrated headphone port, but still features the classic dual analogue sticks and digital controls.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-02/20/ps4

:sleepy:

as with the other play stations day 1 buy for me. had every version of the play station system and never been disappointed.

• Like 3

as with the other play stations day 1 buy for me. had every version of the play station system and never been disappointed.

Same here, except in the end I prefered the Xbox 360. Just overall the Xbox 360 was better than the PS3 in my opinion. It depends what you wanted from the console. I'm looking forward to seeing these next gen side by side though. The fact the 2 last consoles where kinda close with their tech and peripherals is a good thing, as hopefully they will try their best to out do each other, which is better for us gamers. lol

• Like 1

I like Playstation but I dont think Sony should be releasing number 4 yet.

Technology hasnt moved on enough to warrent a new console. Number 3 is still better than most PCs out there.

Oh yeah, we should forget updating technology, to be honest it is a bit disappointing we are not all using 386s and Ataris still.

/off

Oh yeah, we should forget updating technology, to be honest it is a bit disappointing we are not all using 386s and Ataris still.

/off

I will only upgrade if the graphics are significantly better.

• Like 1

with unreal engine 4 debuting and frostbite 2 being tweaked were going to see some impressive things coming out of both the xbox and ps4 will it be a dramatic step up from what we saw with the ps2 to ps3? No but theres going to be far more attention to detail, lighting, and the cinematic experience in gaming, not to say we wont see anything groundbreaking but i wouldn't expect developers to push a console to the limit till a few years in. Check out the watchdogs demo its still being worked on but the level of detail in the buildings, the draw distance and skybox, it looks very nice. lets face it when the ps3 and xbox 360 came out they were given a ten year life span by the time the next consoles release it will be about 8 years which isnt really that bad, and still to this day developers hate working on the ps3 architecture. sony seems to have learned from their mistakes and made the ps4 much more pc friendly.

also i have no idea what you meant by the ps3 is better than most pcs out there. thats just... crazy. any half decent gaming pc can outperform the ps3 and xbox with ease.

my biggest gripe is they better have corrected the problem with install times, patch download/intall times and transfer rates because the ps3 was atrocious for that.

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 1

I was wondering when it was coming out. Were I work, we are selling the PS3 package really low priced. That is always a sign in retail that a new version is coming out, gotta make way for the new product!

• Like 1

I heard the PS 4 is not going to be backwards compatible? Any confirmation? This will be a big determing factor for many and if this is true, will probably put the ball in Microsoft's court.

I prolly wont buy this console, it is sure to be too expensive.

Not to move offtopic, any word when the XBOX 720 is going to be released?

I heard the PS 4 is not going to be backwards compatible? Any confirmation? This will be a big determing factor for many and if this is true, will probably put the ball in Microsoft's court.

I prolly wont buy this console, it is sure to be too expensive.

Not to move offtopic, any word when the XBOX 720 is going to be released?

they have said it will be able to stream both ps1 and ps2 games on a type of cloud service so yes you can play your entire back catalog of games on the ps4... now keep in mind this is just now they also said the ps3 would be backwards compatable and that ended up being on one model that only lasted for 5 months lol.

it will be 500$ and under pretty much gauranteed to be a similar pricing point to the ps3 althouuuugh there are rumours of it being 400$ and under, tough to say although its quite possible as the parts produced and used in the ps4 seem to be less expensive than what they put into the ps3

i imagine both consoles will be available by the end of the year for christmas barring any delays.

nothings final just yet though, theres still plenty of speculation however infamous just dropped a new trailer for its next game on the ps4 unreal just announced it has ue4 ready for developers its moving along much faster than expected it seems.

edit: http://www.digitalspy.ca/gaming/news/a460439/ps4-has-no-native-ps3-backwards-compatibility-gaikai-to-take-place.html

because of the different architecture of the cpu it will nto be able to play ps3 dics however the plan is to have a cloud service for playstation 1 2 and 3 games to be streamed to your console... however this makes me worry what does that mean about the hard copies i already own, do i now have to repurchase the game again... i do enjoy when new consoles release its exciting so many questions :)

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 1

My little brother is all over this. I wonder what it would look like. This is so cool!

I also heard they would be making it impossible to buy used PS4 games. Either the disc will come with a one-time activation code or the games will all be purchased through the PSN.

can't wait for it, the dualshock 4 controller also has made it's appearance, it's kind of mainstream though

I also heard they would be making it impossible to buy used PS4 games. Either the disc will come with a one-time activation code or the games will all be purchased through the PSN.

neither will be happening, the console with have a retail release system same as previous play stations but they will be making pretty much every game available digitally also. Sony did file the paten to block used game technology but stated it has nothing to do with PlayStation 4

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/02/21/dont-worry-ps4-will-play-used-games/

Great article on forbes about it.

• Like 4

My man would totally want this, He will get it if he behave's hehe.

I am happy with our PS3 though, I'm not much of a gamer but when I do play I have fun...so I'm looking forward to what PS4 brings in store for us :)

• Like 1

You cant use a PS4 as a bribe for good behavior!! don't corrupt the reason for his ps4 owning-ness ( i made up a word)

saying that a PS4 would be a damn good carrot to dangle before him hehe

That was a rumor that has since been debunked. MS may or may not block used games but Sony said they won't.

I'll be getting a PS4 as soon as possible, along with Watch Dogs. Hopefully Destiny will release pretty soon after that. Killzone is a decent and nice looking series but it's a pretty typical shooter in most ways so I'll wait on that one to get cheaper.

Edited by MysticStrummer

I know I'm probably old fashioned, but if I never had another console except the old PS1, and had all the games originally available for that, I wouldn't be unsatisfied. I still think some of the games for it (especially FF1 - FF9) were amazing.

I know I'm probably old fashioned, but if I never had another console except the old PS1, and had all the games originally available for that, I wouldn't be unsatisfied. I still think some of the games for it (especially FF1 - FF9) were amazing.

If the PS4 and 720 will be restricting used games, many will seek out their old consoles and games.

PS2 is the all-time highest selling console ever with an 154 million units sold.

Nintendo DS is the second highest with 151 million units sold.

Comparitively speaking, Nintendo sold 95 million Wiis, Microsoft sold 67 million 360s, and Sony sold 62 million PS3s.

If this trend continues, it would seem Microsoft and Sony are shooting themselves in the foot, if they restrict used games and arent backwards compatible.

New Systems Won’t Sell as Well as Current

Bу Anthony John Agnello frοm Digitaltrends.com

Thе nехt gеnеrаtіοn οf gаmіng consoles wіll fail tο reach thе same audience сυrrеnt machines hаνе according tο two market analysts, bυt game makers аrе already migrating tο alternative platforms ensuring a brіght future fοr thе medium.

Over thе last twelve уеаrѕ, Sony hаѕ sold around 154 million PlayStation 2 consoles, mаkіng іt thе best-selling devoted gаmіng machine іn history. Nintendo іѕ thе οnlу сοmраnу thаt’s come close tο toppling thе PS2, selling јυѕt over 151 million Nintendo DSs іn thе past eight уеаrѕ. Thе сυrrеnt crop οf home consoles, аll οf thеm growing long іn thе tooth аt between seven аnd six уеаrѕ οld, doesn’t even come close. Nintendo hаѕ sold around 95 million Wiis, Mісrοѕοft around 67 million Xbox 360s, аnd Sony around 62 million PlayStation 3s. Thе age οf thе devoted gаmіng сοnѕοlе mау nοt bе over, bυt іtѕ zenith іѕ past аnd thе nехt round οf machines wіll continue thе trend according tο one analyst.

Wii U, Sony’s Orbis, аnd Mісrοѕοft’s Xbox Durango wіll nοt match even thеіr predecessors іn total sales.

Speaking wіth Gamasutra οn Monday, Piper Jaffray analysts Michael Olson аnd Andrew Connor ѕаіd thаt thеу expect thе nехt round οf consoles tο underperform bу a wide margin compared tο existing boxes. Hοw much? Over іtѕ first fourteen months οn shelves, thе “disappoiting” hardware specifications οf Wii U wіll cause thаt dеνісе tο sell јυѕt 35% οf thе volume οf thе Wii over thе same period іn 2006-’07. Sony’s PlayStation 4, οr Orbis аѕ ѕοmе rυmοrѕ suggest, expected іn 2013 wіll sell јυѕt 50% over thе same comparative period. Thе Xbox 720, sometimes called Durango, wіll sell јυѕt 55% οf thе Xbox 360’s volume over thе first fourteen months whеn іt releases thеу project іn 2014.

Whу? Thе same things leeching сοnѕοlе software sales already: Mobile games аnd social games. “Wе believer сοnѕοlе gаmіng wіll continue tο bе a time-share donor tο social networks, mobile games, аnd tablets. Wе therefore favor companies wіth increasing exposure tο social/mobile gаmіng, including Zynga аnd EA.”

Whether bіg publishers lіkе EA аnd Zynga retain thеіr financial power іn thе coming уеаrѕ remains tο bе seen, bυt considering thе downward trend іn physical game аnd game machine sales ѕіnсе 2008, іt’s hard tο argue thе analysts’ point. Cοnѕοlе аnd retail game sales hаνе shrunk dramatically еνеr year ѕіnсе thе recession, аnd nеw machines won’t reignite thе market. It’s nοt thаt реοрlе aren’t spending οn games οr playing thеm, іt’s thаt thеу аrе increasingly paying fοr thеm іn small doses οn handheld devices аnd PCs.

Wii U, Orbis, аnd Durango won’t sell аѕ well аѕ Wii, PlayStation 3, οr Xbox 360. It’s аlmοѕt impossible. Whether thеу wіll οr nοt isn’t thе qυеѕtіοn thаt players, game makers, аnd businesses need tο аѕk аt thіѕ point though. Thе rеаl qυеѕtіοn: Whаt wіll bе thе universal dеνісе thаt реοрlе play аnd bυу games οn? Wіll іt bе smart TVs thаt аrе cross compatible wіth tablets аnd smart phones? Wіll Apple become thе dominant manufacturer οf gаmіng platforms? Wіll Valve mаkе іtѕ rumored аnd thеn denies Steam Box?

Onlу time wіll tеll. Luckily players аrе patient реοрlе.

http://xbox720x.com/new-systems-wont-sell-as-well-as-current.html