Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What music do you listen to?

White Crane Feather

I listen to everything. Including classical and rap. I don't particularly like anything after the year 2007. Not sure why. It just doesn't feel real anymore. There is no emotion in the garbage "musicians" spew out these days.

Anyway here is my story; As a young boy, I listened to whatever my mother listened to. Which included rock, modern pop, rap, alternative (all of this on the same radio station.) Then we would listen to country or sometimes classic rock from the 70s or 80s. When she married my stepdad, we were basically forced to listen to exclusively country, because it was the only station we could pick up. So I obtained a CD player and some CDs. Then I purchased a better radio and was able to hear a rock station. Then I got heavily into hard rock music and 80s metal. Eventually, I wanted more so I got into heavy metal new and old. I began to despise newer country songs so I altogether stopped listening to it. I lost taste for pop and rap during this time as well. At some point I started listening to 50s and 60s rock, blues and pop. I even like disco when the mood strikes me. I'm not sure how I got into classical. I guess it was subconsciously through movies and video games. I also enjoy music from other countries such as Rammstein from Germany and I listen to a lot of Japanese rock and pop (because of anime.)

I like listening to metal when I am angry. Classical or something calm when I want to relax. When I want to feel nostalgic, I might play some Fuel or Matchbox Twenty. But other than that I just listen to whatever my iPod plays next.

CCR, Three Dog Night, John Denver, Helen Reddy, Neal Diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, Peter Paul and Mary, ONJ, Frank Sinatra and the other original rat pack members, Midnight Syndicate, Fleetwood mac, Jefferson Airplane, Johnny Cash, C.W.McCall, Red Sovine, The Carpenters, Alabama, and especially almost anything that is instrumental only. ( including Muzac ).

i forgot to mention jim croce and the piano guys

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

I listen to all kinds of music. Rock is my favorite. I like the genre, and it incorporates other genres and styles of music. That keeps things interesting. I preferred hard rock and heavy metal when I was a kid. I added alternative rock to the mix when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of a lot of new acts. Part of that is generational, and part of that is marketing (grist for another thread).

I didn't expect anything else from you , lol.

I know what other site you post on.

But I can tell you: I don't like most if not all rap either.

It's poetry, ok, but not music.

If rap is poetry then the meaning of the word poetry has taken a serious nosedive since the creation of the word.

• Like 3

Depends on my mood and what I need the music for. I prefer dance/trance beats free from 'emotional imprints' for meditation over mellow and slow. I'm a fan of the 80's 90's because i think music was just better then and more feel good. When I'm relaxing i like enya, chillout, Celtic folk music. I go through times where i don't like to listen to anything at all because it imprints too much. Rather than making me feel centred i start to feel /read everything the creator experienced and felt, and its not always nice.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy

I didn't expect anything else from you , lol.

I know what other site you post on.

But I can tell you: I don't like most if not all rap either.

It's poetry, ok, but not music.

Frankly ol'boy I'm a more than a little offended if not insulted, :mad:

• Like 1

I like all kinds that I'm aware of except heavy metal and rap. Both of those are too angry. My Ipod has about 15 or so genres and I usually just keep it on shuffle. I'll use music to either reflect my mood or change it. At work I would use music to set a rhythm. I think people are always fond of the music of their teens. Some folks stop there and some keep growing. I learned to love classical when I realized I couldn't dislike it because I'd never heard it. So I ordered something like "the hundred greatest classical pieces". Some I liked, some I didn't, the same as with rock. But I absolutely fell in love with Mozart. I like blues and bluegrass. Dean Martin and Pink. Country and Showtunes. I love Prince and Patsy Cline. Jimi and Janis. Elton and Elvis. The Scissor Sisters and Madonna. Old cowboy tunes and disco. Someone at work once commented on the varied sounds coming out of my boom box. I tapped at my temple and said "there's lots of people in here and I have to keep them all entertained." It works for me.

• Like 3

Good music.

Every type of music has quite a few spots on my playlists. Even Cd's like Wacky Weirdos gets some play time.

Listening to the same thing gets old.

I wouldn't say I listen to music, I would say I feel it. There are two general situations. The most common is when I am doing other things and I have music on in the background -- too much silence is spooky, and sometimes something will come on and I take a break from what I'm doing.

For a couple of hours every evening before I fall asleep I have my quieter playlist on (the same classical music but without operas and marches and polkas and stuff like that) which is set to turn off in two hours. I am generally still awake listening when it goes off, but fall right off.

I have never liked popular music, nor Vietnamese music (with a few instrumental exceptions), and Vietnamese opera does not qualify as serious music. I grew up without any music except propaganda marches (which I never minded much as long as I didn't have to listen to the words), but was fully in love with it on first hearing -- so I don't buy this nonsense that you like what you grow up with. It certainly doesn't apply to me. There is some classical music I don't care for as much as others, but I pretty much like it all, including twentieth century things.

I don't judge people by their musical taste -- certainly for where I live mine is peculiar enough. I must say though that I have a difficult time sitting through most of the popular music one gets in coffee shops and so on -- it is usually crude and over the top in its use of musical devices or it is "bubble-gum" stuff.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I listen to music, I would say I feel it. There are two general situations. The most common is when I am doing other things and I have music on in the background -- too much silence is spooky, and sometimes something will come on and I take a break from what I'm doing.

For a couple of hours every evening before I fall asleep I have my quieter playlist on (the same classical music but without operas and marches and polkas and stuff like that) which is set to turn off in two hours. I am generally still awake listening when it goes off, but fall right off.

I have never liked popular music, nor Vietnamese music (with a few instrumental exceptions), and Vietnamese opera does not qualify as serious music. I grew up without any music except propaganda marches (which I never minded much as long as I didn't have to listen to the words), but was fully in love with it on first hearing -- so I don't buy this nonsense that you like what you grow up with. It certainly doesn't apply to me. There is some classical music I don't care for as much as others, but I pretty much like it all, including twentieth century things.

I don't judge people by their musical taste -- certainly for where I live mine is peculiar enough. I must say though that I have a difficult time sitting through most of the popular music one gets in coffee shops and so on -- it is usually crude and over the top in its use of musical devices or it is "bubble-gum" stuff.

I have to agree with your statement on you like what you grew up with.Almost anything i listen to pre-dates me being alive although i do have a few exceptions.

Frankly ol'boy I'm a more than a little offended if not insulted, :mad:

There's good and bad poetry, right?

I more like to MAKE music than just listen to it, but my favourites are found in 6o's garage, Surf or Punk. The Monks, the Damned, Electric Prunes, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry......GAAAAAAAAAAAWD, that list could be endless! They "why" is the difficult thing though. I mostly blame it on my dad's well assorted record collection i could dig in as a kid.

Funny thread, you can really get a picture of how people are according to what they post here! :)

• Like 1

Growing up the only music in our house was Country Western (old school), classical and the Chieftains... As I grew my two older sisters started listening to the Beatles and Pop (it wasn't called Pop back then) groups like Herman's Hermits, Freddie and the Dreamers, etc... Which led me to discover groups like The Animals, The Rolling Stones, the Bee Gees (well before their Disco days), the Mama's and The Papa's, Kingston Trio, etc... This led me to Bob Dylan and nothing was the same after that...

My musical tastes haven't really changed in the past 40 years or so... To me the lyrics are the most important thing - though a good tune is important as well... I like songs that make images in my mind...

My play list includes:

The Moody Blues, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Marty Robbins, The Who, The Animals, Al Stewart, Gordon Lightfoot, The Chieftains, Clannad, Moya Brennan (Enya's older sister - absolutely love her voice), Uriah Heep, Horslips, Battlefield Band, The Beatles, Crosby Stills Nash and (sometimes) Young, Simon and Garfunkle, Santana, Fleetwood Mac, Harry Nilsson ('cause I like being silly occasionally), Altan, Scotland Rising (bagpipe band), John Denver, Neil Diamond, Procal Harum, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Thin Lizzie, Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's, Cast in Bronze, The Monkees, America, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, among others...

About the only music I don't really enjoy are Rap and Jazz... Rap mainly because I'm not in the target audience - I get no 'images' in my mind and it's too angry/aggressive... Jazz just annoys me - I don't know why - it just does...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

I listen to all sorts of music, from classical to country, but mostly rock. I love musicals, and the recent Les Miserables was terrific! :tu:

it all started when i was very very small.. lol , in the womb, listening to my mother's heart beat and her enthusiastic singing .. my early years were full of listening to her SING as she did housework ... and play piano .. and listen to the radio... and records. Music was just part of the world.

I LOVE all sorts of music... but i guess my favorite genres are... 50's (doo wop), 60's rock&roll, selected rock, and other pop genres, from 70's onward, Mountain Music ( the high lonesome stuff that sounds like it's echoing through the mountains lol) and the lower altitude bluegrass), Classical, Blues. I like some rap..and hip hop, i can get into anything that makes me tap my feet or smile .

I seem to SEE music as much as i hear it? I see it's structure as if it were architecture... sometimes it seems like a form of math.

I play drums and guitar and have written hundreds of songs.. most of which i forget as they are replaced with a current batch of favorites.

• Like 1

i love music! when i was a wee puerto rican tree, my parents would listen to spanish music. i like the music but i cant speak spanish. dad liked motown type music. mom liked beatles and michael jackson. my older sister liked new wave/alternative music like depeche mode, erasure and inxs. so she listened to a radio station with that stuff. one day i heard living colour and i fell in love with heavy metal. its expressing the anger i feel inside through music and words. it allows me to sing and dance with my own anger and frustration. it frees me to be even more happy. only then did i start buying music collection. i will only buy metal.

my friends like rap and hiphop so i like certain songs if its got a good beat and/or rythym. i like notorious b.i.g. songs better than tupac songs. i like busta ryhmes, ludicris, missy elliot. those type of rap songs. they appeal to my chaotic nature.

i do have a special place in my heart for club / dance music. i spent to much time in the clubs with my best friend and now its got more than one radio station to hear it on. this type of music is not angry and can sometimes free me even more than metal. but im going with metal for the win. pantera and mudvayne rule!!

for the record, i graduated with a g.e.d. from public school 10th grade in 1992 because i was on a downward school spiral since 5th grade. i took one trimester of community college and only got an "a" in philosophy. i still suck at math and typing is a chore. but i love music!

There's good and bad poetry, right?

At best I'll say bad rhyming, as it is, at the very least, bad poetry is at least poetry ...

All I can say is: "Als het niet rijmt, dan dicht het wel."

Sorry, that was in Dutch, and there is no good translation for it (no, don't try Google Translator, lol).

The first part of the phrase means: "If it doesn't rhyme,"

The second part has the word "dicht" in it, and it can mean two things: "to close" or "seal up" or... "write poetry"

But poetry is much (but not all) about rhyming.

We all have made crazy and stupid Santa rhymes (poems??), Well , that is what we do here in the Netherlands when adults give eachother gifts for "Sinterklaas", the precursor of "Santa(claus)".

Most of the times these poems suck major, but it's just about having fun at the expense of someone you give your gift to.

Everything from Diana Krall to Edie Brickell to AC/DC to Waylon Jennings. Rap, grunge and death metal are horrid.

• Like 1

Old style progrock and metal from 70s like Black Sabbath, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Floyd. These groups showed us the way and I still think nobody does metal like Sabbath, they are the true masters. Otherwise, Russian and Skandinavian metal of all types, indie music, punk, music that has lyrics that have something to say, not just meaningless foamheaded phrases that fit the tune. Music that is dark, modern or classical, for instance, Orthodox and Latin plainchant that is deep in the music and the soul. And though not dark, this -

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri
  • Like 1

Haveing read everyone's responses I'd like to refine the op. what are your top 3 or 4 songs ?

Haveing read everyone's responses I'd like to refine the op. what are your top 3 or 4 songs ?

Thanks for the headache .....

• Like 2

Cold November Rain, Stairway to Heaven, Skateaway, and anything at all by Regina Spektor or Grace Potter. :tu: