Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What music do you listen to?

White Crane Feather

Cold November Rain, Stairway to Heaven, Skateaway, and anything at all by Regina Spektor or Grace Potter. :tu:

that's cheating ! definitely more than 3 or 4 in that list ... go'on give it another go ... Do it again !...

When when we were young there there were certain teachers who would hurt the children in any they can .....

• Like 1

as much music ( over 200 CDs) as i have here i could not pick 3 or 4 songs as my most favorite songs. it depends day by day and mood by mood. the same could be said about favorite artists

• Like 1

Cold November Rain, Stairway to Heaven, Skateaway, and anything at all by Regina Spektor or Grace Potter. :tu:

2 of those are some of my favorites also.

• Like 2

Since I never responded to the original query: I like beautiful music--that is, anything in which I can find a pleasing melody. This includes metal, folk, post-industrial, early, classical, romantic, rock, trance, chiptunes, and even pop.

I didn't expect anything else from you , lol.

I know what other site you post on.

But I can tell you: I don't like most if not all rap either.

It's poetry, ok, but not music.

Heh, I wondered if you would notice that after I saw you posting links there.

I may be biased, but there is data to back up that idea:

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/music-makes-you-dumb-intelligent/

Even ignoring the dimwitted lyrics of most rap, I think there's just a basic theme that less intelligent people prefer music that is rhythmic and without melody, whereas more intelligent people prefer music with melody.

Since I never responded to the original query: I like beautiful music--that is, anything in which I can find a pleasing melody. This includes metal, folk, post-industrial, early, classical, romantic, rock, trance, chiptunes, and even pop.

Heh, I wondered if you would notice that after I saw you posting links there.

I may be biased, but there is data to back up that idea:

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/music-makes-you-dumb-intelligent/

Even ignoring the dimwitted lyrics of most rap, I think there's just a basic theme that less intelligent people prefer music that is rhythmic and without melody, whereas more intelligent people prefer music with melody.

Be careful with studies like that. Musical Preferences ( if you can call rap music) can be culturally influenced as well. You might be poor kid raised in a not so good environment that would struggle on sats but but also be very naturally intelligent and like rap. I suspect this happens very often.

Edited by Seeker79

Be careful with studies like that. Musical Preferences ( if you can call rap music) can be culturally influenced as well. You might be poor kid raised in a not so good environment that would struggle on sats but but also be very naturally intelligent and like rap. I suspect this happens very often.

Intelligent kids in crappy environments still do well academically and thus would get good scores on the SATs. And they'll probably be exposed mostly to rap, but will seek out other forms of music unlike their less intelligent peers.

Thats funny 2 of those are in my top 20 songs ever :tu:

• Like 2

Thanks for the headache .....

Agreed third! :lol: This is going to take me a minute to really think about.I usually make the cutoff at top 20.To many good ones to leave off haha

I like all sorts of stuff. Classical, folk, rock, metal, pop, hip-hop, some rap, R&B, jazz, alternative, disco, big band, all sorts of anything danceable, classic electronica, opera.. Musicals, marching band, A Capella, choir, reggae, ska.. er I guess what you would call light or adult contemporary? Bluegrass, country and western, gospel, tribal, street performing... Probably a whole bunch of other genres I'm not thinking of right now.

I like a whole bunch of music from other places that I have no idea what the genre is called. Like bellydancing music, gypsy music, the beautiful simple instrumental pieces out of the east, robust bar songs from all over, rhythmic chants that have subtle background accompaniments...

And the music of nature. At some times of year, I won't play music for days or weeks because the music of nature is just... better.

Why? Good music can be found everywhere. Just like good food, or people, or experiences. I like sounds that go well together, regardless of format. Music gives a great many shards of views into the windows of many souls, including my own.

I don't like plenty of music too all across the spectrum. But I'm keeping this positive :tu:

• Like 1

Intelligent kids in crappy environments still do well academically and thus would get good scores on the SATs. And they'll probably be exposed mostly to rap, but will seek out other forms of music unlike their less intelligent peers.

In afraid not... Sure some of them rise out if their environments but they are the exceptions. Sats are a reflection of knowledge not intelligence. There are plenty of smart kids that learn how to get out of school and don't give a rats ass about education when their buddies are running around the streets. There are to many socioeconomic factors to base intelligence off of Sats. A not so bright kid that is a hard worker can do well on the SAts while the genius kid is a genius at skipping school and barely makes it out of high school. Some of the smartest kids are actually in bands, skip school, and are difficult to contain. Why do Asians and indians do so well on Sats? It's because they are second generation kids that have operating values in their homes about work ethic. Not because they are inherintly smarter. There are plenty of intelligent people listening to rap music. I can't stand it myself, but rap songs are highly complicated and quit witty actually. Poor kids just don't get as much of an opertunity to learn music. Spending hours poring over notes when your drunk dad might show up and kick the snot out of you doesn't seem like a good use of time to a smart inner city kid. And it probably isn't. Learning instruments makes you appreciate music more. If you study a violin, you will appreciate it more, piano, chelo, whatever. I play the guitar and ukellele I can hear and appreciate what the instrument and musician are doing. If you have never had the ooertunity to learn in most cases people will stick with what they know intelligent of not.

In afraid not... Sure some of them rise out if their environments but they are the exceptions. Sats are a reflection of knowledge not intelligence. There are plenty of smart kids that learn how to get out of school and don't give a rats ass about education when their buddies are running around the streets. There are to many socioeconomic factors to base intelligence off of Sats. A not so bright kid that is a hard worker can do well on the SAts while the genius kid is a genius at skipping school and barely makes it out of high school. Some of the smartest kids are actually in bands, skip school, and are difficult to contain. Why do Asians and indians do so well on Sats? It's because they are second generation kids that have operating values in their homes about work ethic. Not because they are inherintly smarter. There are plenty of intelligent people listening to rap music. I can't stand it myself, but rap songs are highly complicated and quit witty actually. Poor kids just don't get as much of an opertunity to learn music. Spending hours poring over notes when your drunk dad might show up and kick the snot out of you doesn't seem like a good use of time to a smart inner city kid. And it probably isn't. Learning instruments makes you appreciate music more. If you study a violin, you will appreciate it more, piano, chelo, whatever. I play the guitar and ukellele I can hear and appreciate what the instrument and musician are doing. If you have never had the ooertunity to learn in most cases people will stick with what they know intelligent of not.

Correct!I do not like rap,i do not think it is music or poetry.There are a few exceptions Tupac was a extremely intelligent person,i have read a lot about him in the past.He had a very realistic look on life through his eyes and from everything he had seen and experienced.Most of it is just a bunch of synthesized noise with someone just bragging about stuff that has no true meaning.

I think you're playing extremely loose with the concept of intelligence. Kids who skip school and the like are showing poor forethought, which indicates poor development of the prefrontal cortex--a clear sign of low intelligence. Also intelligent kids soak up knowledge like a sponge, and you can bet that a lot of kids scoring in the "Beethoven range" on the chart didn't study all that much. And I'm sure poor kids get the same music programs as other kids. Their families might be poor, but schools in poor areas get absolutely flooded with government money.

Haveing read everyone's responses I'd like to refine the op. what are your top 3 or 4 songs ?

Doh! Mind-changer.. :lol:

Sure hope there's a mind-blowing carrot at the end of this stick..

ok.........

Time (Pink Floyd)

The rain song.. (Led Zep)

Your Wildest Dreams (Moody Blues)

The Air that I beathe (Hollies)

• Like 1

Agreed third! :lol: This is going to take me a minute to really think about.I usually make the cutoff at top 20.To many good ones to leave off haha

When you get to my age ... you kind faint under trying to reach a top 100 cut off ... in my part of the world we listen to Hindi, Thai, Philippines (anyone remembers Aguilar's "Child" ? ) Indonesia, Hong Kong. Taiwan, Japan, Korea quite often, my personal quirk is I love African recordings (Nigeria, Mali, Ethiopia ) thanks to Ry Cooder and Ali Farka Toure ... Latin America ..... I doubt I can even get under a top 150 cut off :lol:

~ edit : Not to mention the local Malaysian music scene ... Latest fav listen is " Yuna " and "Zee Avi"

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

When you get to my age ... you kind faint under trying to reach a top 100 cut off ... in my part of the world we listen to Hindi, Thai, Philippines (anyone remembers Aguilar's "Child" ? ) Indonesia, Hong Kong. Taiwan, Japan, Korea quite often, my personal quirk is I love African recordings (Nigeria, Mali, Ethiopia ) thanks to Ry Cooder and Ali Farka Toure ... Latin America ..... I doubt I can even get under a top 150 cut off :lol:

~ edit : Not to mention the local Malaysian music scene ... Latest fav listen is " Yuna " and "Zee Avi"

I am 29 and already have the problem of a top 100 cut off list haha,i can only imagine if i live to 60 and still have my brains i will probably be sitting around telling stories to my grandkids about a list of my top 5,000 favorite songs :lol:

I used to like pop music like backstreet boys and 98 Degrees. Now I listen to classical and rock music. Classical mellows me out and rock pumps me up.

• Like 1

I used to like pop music like backstreet boys and 98 Degrees. Now I listen to classical and rock music. Classical mellows me out and rock pumps me up.

bet you love 'QuarterFlash'

gangster rap duhhh :gun:

But really i used to listen to a lot of rap and hip hop, my neighbor hood used to blast songs like:

and my uncle squirrel ( yes that is really what they called him) would rap for me, so a lot of the old songs have nostalgia for me. but lately since i have moved and grown up, i cant really relate to the rap "culture" anymore and have moved on to slow and hard rock songs.

edit: i tried to embed the videos but its not working for me now.

Edited by notoverrated

Haydn mellows me up and Sousa pumps me up. :yes: Edited by Frank Merton

I think you're playing extremely loose with the concept of intelligence. Kids who skip school and the like are showing poor forethought, which indicates poor development of the prefrontal cortex--a clear sign of low intelligence. Also intelligent kids soak up knowledge like a sponge, and you can bet that a lot of kids scoring in the "Beethoven range" on the chart didn't study all that much. And I'm sure poor kids get the same music programs as other kids. Their families might be poor, but schools in poor areas get absolutely flooded with government money.

I doubt all of that very much. Most Gifted kids are bored with school, their minds wonder and they just want out of it. Mostly boys, girls tend to react a bit different. Poor forthought? I would argue that case. The smart kid is the one asking what is all this going to do for me? And if the answer isn't apparent, they may rebel. The kids that follow unquestionably an education system built on industrial age thinking because they are told its good for them, are the ones not demonstrating forethought.

• Like 1

Top 4 songs?

Twiztid - Afraid of Me

Tech N9ne - Happy Ending

Incubus = Make Yourself

Cherry Popping Daddies - Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Hands down the ones that affect me the most. Well at least right now. Could easily list another 1000 or so songs that I think are simply amazing.

I must be stupid since two of them are rap though :) Must be an even bigger idiot because one of them is horrorcore. Or maybe it is idiotic to decide the intelligence level of somebody simply because of what they like?