Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New scorpion species discovered in US desert

Still Waters

A new species of scorpion, Vaejovis brysoni, has been discovered in the Santa Catalina Mountains of southern Arizona in the US.

Rob Bryson Junior, biologist from the University of Washington, unearthed this new species accidentally while looking for a completely different animal.

http://www.phenomeni...-us-desert.html

Is it a new species as such or a mutated one?

And whats with the name? I see Rob has named part of it after him....its still a scorpion.

The thing about finding new species is, You really need to go looking for them to find them and by that I mean, you have to be an expert on the species you find.

Unless you know your scorpions, that looks like a regular one to anyone else but the expert, how many times have we all seen an animal, spider, bird, fish etc and not known what is is, we all assume it has been documented and catalogued. I have been in may jungles and seen plenty of monkeys or creatures that I didn’t recognise, how do I know I missed out on finding a new species.

• Like 1

pretty cool that there are still undiscovered animals out there...to be honest, i read the headline and hoped it would be something more like this:

bkscorpn.jpg

Imagine if all the insects of the world were the size of a dachshund or something. We would have a serious problem on our hand then.

I bet there is a planet out there in the universe where nightmares comes through. :w00t::gun: >>

[media=]

[/media]

New species are not "new" to the world, but only new to science. They have been around uncatalogued, generally for a lot longer than we've been here. All species of course evolve from other species mostly via mutations steered by natural selection, so in a sense any different species is a mutation.

New species are not "new" to the world, but only new to science.

sure thing, nobody just brings them in a box all of a sudden. when i wrote "new" i meant "previously undiscovered" ;)