Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Light

Helen of Annoy

Group of mountaineers saw strange light in a hole in the ground some 50 metres from the path to the mountain shelter Rupe, on 1363 m altitude, where they planned to spend the night.

At first they thought there must be another group of mountaineers camping there, but as they came closer they saw no one and nothing that would explain strange light that was illuminating the hole.

Ivan Zebić said he had only rather bad camera so the photos he captured are not showing the true intensity of the scene, but you can see them on the link:

http://www.index.hr/...ari/663632.aspx

Edit: and here too:

http://www.crometeo....o/#!prettyPhoto

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 1

How am i going to understand all that?

No, I am not going to google translate it. :no:

can`t even read the comments at the bottom, which can be interesting sometimes.

Edited by freetoroam

The photo looks ominous but maybe a translation would help in the text, Hvala Vam mnogo

I gave you the essential info, but since you're interested, I'll translate it all... it can't be worse than Google translation, I hope :D

The article from the first link:

Mountaineers photographed mysterious light on Dinara

During their visiting Dinara last weekend two mountaineers, Ivan Zebić – Klepton and Jozo Vitić, have noticed something unusual.

In the afternoon they went towards the mountain shelter “Rupe” that is situated at 1363 metres above the sea level. Night caught them on their way, and suddenly they saw something they didn’t expect. Some 50 metres away from the trail, from the depression in the ground with approximate diameter 5 m and approx. depth 3 m, light was coming out.

Two of them were convinced someone set camp in the hole and the light they see is from the fire or torch, but when they came closer they saw nothing but the snow.

“We were not able to explain what that was that we saw. The most logical answer would be that this hole for some reason can retain light of the day. As the time was passing the light was not fading. I captured this phenomenon with my camera but it has bad resolution and didn’t caught the real situation which was much more intense ‘in live’. And couple days after we captured it, we still talk about it.” said Zebić for Crometeo. (Crometeo is Croatian meteorological portal.)

The comments are hilarious to me but have nothing to do with the phenomenon, it’s mostly criminally incorrect political humour and usual exchange of creative rudeness.

Edited by Helen of Annoy

The article from the second link:

Phenomenon: What kind of light mountaineers have stumbled upon on Dinara?

Last weekend numerous mountaineers have visited Dalmatian mountains covered with thick snow layer. Among them were Ivan Zebić – Klepton from Mountaineering Society Dinarids from Split, and Jozo Vitić from Mountaineer Society Svilaja from Sinj.

In the afternoon two mountaineers went towards the mountain shelter “Rupe” on Dinara, at 1363 metres above the sea level. Night caught them on their way, and what should have been an usual winter climbing experience was disrupted by an extraordinary sight.

Some 50 metres away from the trail, the depression in the ground was visible, with approximate diameter 5 m and approx. depth 3 m. Such holes are normal part of Dalmatian mountain karts terrain, but this hole was special because the light was coming out of it.

Two mountaineers were convinced at first that someone set camp right in that hole and the light they see is from the fire or torch. But when they came closer they saw nothing but the snow.

Mountaineers had observed this phenomenon from 18:15 to 18:30.

“We were not able to explain what that was that we saw. The most logical answer would be that this hole for some reason can retain light of the day. As the time was passing the light was not fading. I captured this phenomenon with my camera but it has bad resolution and didn’t caught the real situation which was much more intense ‘in live’. And couple days after we captured it, we still talk about it.” said Ivan Zebić – Klepton, the eyewitness and the author of photographs.

We bring you the photos of this phenomenon, one of which was processed to enhance the contrast, and also more photos of the ascend on top of Dinara, on the snow higher than 3 metres.

Edited by Helen of Annoy

Not sure about this. We all know that a torch shown at night where no other lighting is around, can be seen for miles away.

Here any lighting had the help of the snow to reflect off.

I have seen car lights in the distance who could be mistaken for UFO headlamps.

It does not say if they had actually gone right up to the hole and shown their own torch inside? this would have been the logical thing to do. It is more likely they developed their film and then came up with this idea after. There is no way they thought this light was strange at the time without going right up to it to investigate??/ surely???

Edited by freetoroam

They were close enough to make sure no one was there, that there was no device of any kind that would emit the light, whole area was covered with snow so it’s very obvious if there was any recent movement.

There was nothing, only them, snow and the strange light illuminating the hole in the ground.

Dinara mountain is typical Dalmatian karst, meaning that under that snow there’s rocky terrain with all kinds of holes, sinkholes, crevices, precipices and stuff.

The hole in question is 5 metres in diameter, 3 metres deep, so it’s about 16 feet diameter and 10 feet depth.

Not a shaft, more like mini-hollow with steep sides. Any device or person would be very visible from the edge of the hole, especially in all that virgin snow.

So the mountaineers saw, took better look, took some photos and went on according to their plan.

Strange lights on our mountains are very common part of our folk tales, so I guess they were not too surprised with seeing one unexplained light, they probably were more surprised with the fact that grandma wasn’t exaggerating when telling them about such lights. My guess only, no one of the mountaineers stated that in any article.

Maybe someone put a light in a hole.

But why? Why would someone do that? They're a common part of folk tales, and just look at these stories get passed around online. Having fun is reason enough.

There are rare microscopic ice worms that bioluminesce. Or was it the bacteria in them that did it? I forget and I cant quickly find anything online at the moment.

Maybe someone put a light in a hole.

But why? Why would someone do that? They're a common part of folk tales, and just look at these stories get passed around online. Having fun is reason enough.

"Why" is not an issue :D as you said, fun is reason enough, definitely.

But while it’s possible that it was a prank, it's not probable at all.

That area is too far away from sight of everyone except few mountaineers, too hard to reach in winter, and even if there was another group of mountaineers in pranking mood, it would simply be too much trouble for too uncertain result – will anyone pass by, will anyone even notice etc.

There are rare microscopic ice worms that bioluminesce. Or was it the bacteria in them that did it? I forget and I cant quickly find anything online at the moment.

Yes, there are a number of bioluminescent thingies in this world. My husband’s first explanation was bioluminescent algae or something, but then we concluded Dinara is too dry in summer to allow algae of epic proportions and even if there were such organisms in the ground, the layer of snow was too thick for soft glow to shine through. Again, I’m only guessing here.

Ice worms, maybe, but when the harsh winter is over you have burning summer up there on Dinara, I doubt ice worms would survive scorching sun.

Could it be an underground alien bunker or something like that?

Could it be an underground alien bunker or something like that?

That’s what I wanted to hear! I mean read! :D

It’s not clear from the literal translation of what eyewitness Ivan said, but the mountaineers themselves thought the only remotely logical explanation could be some weird refraction of setting sun light that made that particular hole in the ground illuminated after everything else in the vicinity was dark, but that logical explanation lacks logic – holes in the ground are the last place where you can expect last sunrays.

So I hope it’s the aliens forgetting to turn off the bunker porch light because – hell – like there’s anyone around that could see it, right?

In the old tales and contemporary reports, strange lights in the mountains usually are accompanied with appearances of even stranger creatures, like werewolves, vile (fairies) and other.

It didn't happen this time, all the mountaineers talk about is strange light, which is good for credibility but somewhat disappointing for me personally.

Aha got it, Its a marker light for a U.F.O. like you would use to guide in Helicopters.Maybe there was more on neighbouring mountains which the guys didnt see,but which could be clearly seen from above.

Group of mountaineers saw strange light in a hole in the ground some 50 metres from the path to the mountain shelter Rupe, on 1363 m altitude, where they planned to spend the night.

At first they thought there must be another group of mountaineers camping there, but as they came closer they saw no one and nothing that would explain strange light that was illuminating the hole.

Ivan Zebić said he had only rather bad camera so the photos he captured are not showing the true intensity of the scene, but you can see them on the link:

http://www.index.hr/...ari/663632.aspx

Edit: and here too:

http://www.crometeo....o/#!prettyPhoto

Thanks for posting. It must be warmer down there if it's a flying beast which is creating bioluminescense, which is my guess.

Thanks for posting. It must be warmer down there if it's a flying beast which is creating bioluminescense, which is my guess.

Thanks for reading :)

Ground depressions, or simply holes, are giving some shelter from winds that can be very strong and very cold in that area.

Flying beasts? We had those too :D But, this particular hole is not becoming of a classical “zmaj” (dragon) from the old tales. Unless the hole hides an entrance to a cave – which wouldn’t be extraordinary, karst terrain is full of caves, shafts, sinkholes and similar.

So, “zmaj” lives in a cave and guards a treasure. If disturbed, it can spit fire but usually his huge, serpentine body was enough to scare curious or greedy people away.

Classic dragon wasn’t reported in centuries, lately only unnaturally large snakes were reported as dragons, though they produced no special effects, such as fire or unwrapping set of wings. Truth be told, there’s kravosas (Four-lined Rat Snake or Elaphe Quatuorlineata), non-agressive and non-venomous snake that can officially grow up to 2,5 metres (a little over 8 feet), so if you stumble upon it, frighten it and it starts running away, thus frightening you, it may appear gigantic. Kravosas prefers altitudes lower than 600 metres, but why am I ranting about kravosases? They can be mistaken for dragons, but they never had any bioluminescent abilities or ambitions.

Anyway, bioluminescence sounds like the most sane possible explanation for now, only, like I said before, Dinara has too extreme climate (hot summers and harsh winters) for a bioluminescent organism that thrives in the snow. The summer would kill it. I guess.

And a bioluminescent organism that wouldn’t live in the snow but in the ground would be able to deal with hot summers but it couldn’t emit its glow through the snow. Again, I’m guessing.

So, a dragon is not plausible in this century, bioluminescence doesn’t fit in the climate and there were no bioluminescent organisms discovered on Dinara – at least not yet... therefore...

I’m not saying it’s the aliens but... it must be the aliens :D

Wasting power when they think no one is looking.

Or vile (fairies).

I “explain” each and every local mystery with the vile. Because they are my personal favourite, but they are the same as aliens in my own belief, so there... it’s the aliens.

Aha got it, Its a marker light for a U.F.O. like you would use to guide in Helicopters.Maybe there was more on neighbouring mountains which the guys didnt see,but which could be clearly seen from above.

Right, marker light for UFOs that land on island Pag:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pag_Triangle

Pag Triangle (Croatian: Paški trokut) is a land formation in the shape of an isosceles triangle located near Novalja, a small town on the Croatian island Pag. The triangle has one side measuring approximately 32 metres (105 ft) and two sides both measuring 22 metres (72 ft).[1][2] It differs from the surrounding area in the fact that the rocksinside the triangle are of different structure than rocks outside the triangle. According to the research of Stjepan Zvonarić, a Croatian geologist, the triangle rocks exhibit red phosphorescence after being irradiated by UV light, suggesting they had been heated to extreme temperatures in the past. This property is unique to the Pag Triangle rocks, and is not found in rocks in the surrounding area.[1][3]

My connection snapped when I tried to post this reply so it must be it ;)