Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did twin asteroids wipe out the dinosaurs ?

Saru

Researchers now believe the killer space rock could have been two asteroids orbiting one another.

The dino-killing asteroid is usually thought of as a single rock with a diameter of 7 to 10 kilometres, but it may really have been two widely separated rocks with that combined diameter.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

One more nice theory but as we know we can never prove these theories completely.

Haha we may need to update some textbooks considering all these theories like asteroid impact or oxygen depletion come up to explain the extinction of dinosaurs.

This makes me realize that someday someone will be commenting about us humans that same way I am commenting about dinosaurs.

Very much plausible.

What did in the dinosaurs is pretty well understood; there are a few dissenters left but most of the so-called "new" theories are only refinements of the basic idea -- the filling in of details, as it were.

Before many days i read a similar news like this and that was the another asteroid hitting some other place..I think probably it was India.

Every week there seems to be a new theory.

Haha...that's right

Edited by SameerPrehistorica

Here's the latest theory. Based on the new rock samples from Mars, the Martians sent the asteroids to Earth to kill the dinos. That way the Earth would be ready for the Martians to move here when Mars resources were exhausted. We need to bombard Venus NOW!

:yes:

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 1

QUOTE-from new scientist-

''Just 1 in 50 of

craters on Earth come in such pairs.''

i'd say the odds of the meteor that killed the dinosaurs being a binary meteor were around.., oh.., maybe fifty to one...?

• Like 2

I think volcanos did in the dinosaurs and other things besides a huge asteroid.

this is quite true. the deccan traps in india were being laid down at the same time as the meteor landed, and it's thought that that contributed more to the deaths of the dinosaurs than the meteor, as the dinosaurs died out gradually, over several thousand years, rather than overnight.

I don't think scientist are going to know with 100% certainty

what wiped out the dinos, unless they build a time machine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the evidence, most of theories revolve around the meteor. The volcano theory is also a good candidate, but its not enough. It was a joint effort from both space and earth, meteor and volcano. Thats what the evidence says.

Before many days i read a similar news like this and that was the another asteroid hitting some other place..I think probably it was India."

There is also a meteor crater found in India. Its not unseen that a meteor split up in air or a smaller follow the big one. So that's plausible.

Haha...that's right

No all the theories, I have seen, revolve around either the volcano or the meteorite or both. In reality, since there were volcanic eruptions before the meteor strike. And since the meteor/s did hit earth. Its plausible both are right.

I actually have proof that it was the Nazis. They managed to create an atomic bomb and a time machine, went back to 65 million years ago and let rip. The blast caused a supervolcano to erupt and the rest is history.

Why are people determined that the scientists are always wrong.