Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas Bans Shooting Immigrants from Helicop

OverSword

My.....how progressive of them!

From the article:

Officials in Texas announced on Thursday that State Troopers would no longer be allowed to open fire on suspects from helicopters after the recent killing of two immigrants.

While announcing the new policy, Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw insisted that the ban on aerial shootings had nothing to do with the October 2012 death of two Guatemalan immigrants, who were gunned down by troopers in helicopter while they were hiding in the back of a speeding pickup truck near La Joya.

“I’m convinced that now, from a helicopter platform, that we shouldn’t shoot unless being shot at, or unless someone is being shot at,” McCraw told the state House Committee on Appropriations. “Last Friday, after a review of the policy and looking at all of the different things, and this is not a reflection of what happened there, I’m a firm believer they did exactly what they thought they needed to do.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/22/texas-bans-shooting-immigrants-from-helicopters/

• Like 2

“I’m convinced that now, from a helicopter platform, that we shouldn’t shoot unless being shot at, or unless someone is being shot at,”

lmao yeah, no **** sherlock.

• Like 4

Simply WTF. They have drones to do the shooting now. Why risk a helicopter.

• Like 3

What a novel idea,not shooting at the unarmed people on the ground from high up on your perch in the sky!With **** like this happening and we are worried about ordinary citizens having guns.

• Like 1

It likely violates some International law TBH.

Can't anybody have a bit of fun, these days?

• Like 3

I agree that shooting people for illegally crossing a border is heinous. But it raises some questions to me. Does the US or any of it's states have a right to have a border at all? If that right exists then are we not allowed to decide by legal decree who can and who cannot cross it? If very large numbers of people decide to break that law and cross illegally then what response is considered ethical in the eyes of the world community? What does England do? How about Ireland, Australia or Canada? For that matter, how does Mexico react if a US citizen violates their border headed south? There seems to be no agreement on what is right any longer but one thing I feel is certain is that if unlimited numbers of poor and uneducated and even violent individuals are allowed to cross without consequence, then eventually the US will be no more desirable than the hell holes they escaped from.

• Like 3

One could look at the exodus from Syria and other conflicts to demonstrate how mass crossings are dealt with on a short term basis.

Does the US or any of it's states have a right to have a border at all? If that right exists then are we not allowed to decide by legal decree who can and who cannot cross it?

Not in this era. Y'know, 'cause:

eso_es_racista.gif?1294075992

• Like 5

I wonder how long it was before the Visigoths realized they could steal or destroy what the Romans had, but could not reproduce it once the Romans were gone? America is/was wealthy because of many ideas and a cohesion of beliefs. Once that is broken then the magic is lost. Who knows? Maybe these immigrants will take the existing resources and make a better America for themselves in future - but I think it unlikely. Too many have come like carrion. Not enough who want to build.

• Like 1

Holy, Hannah! This just sounds horrble. While I get that people should respect the laws, just opening fire on someone making a break for the border like this blows my mind. What I think about is even knowing that is a possibilty, what kinds of lives are they trying to escape?

Edited by glorybebe

The first question that popped into my mind when I read the original article was, "How could they tell it was illegal aliens from up in a helicopter?"

• Like 1

yep, and the first thing that popped into my head is... ya don't shoot SUSPECTS !?!?!?!?

From the article:

Officials in Texas announced on Thursday that State Troopers would no longer be allowed to open fire on suspects from helicopters after the recent killing of two immigrants.

second thing that popped into my head was.... what are they doing shooting IMMIGRANTS ? ( did they mean Illegal immigrants? and if so , when didi illegal immigration become a shoot and KILL on sight offense ? )

The first question that popped into my mind when I read the original article was, "How could they tell it was illegal aliens from up in a helicopter?"

Sombreros?

Edited by Stellar

'cause they're wet.

I wonder how long it was before the Visigoths realized they could steal or destroy what the Romans had, but could not reproduce it once the Romans were gone? America is/was wealthy because of many ideas and a cohesion of beliefs. Once that is broken then the magic is lost. Who knows? Maybe these immigrants will take the existing resources and make a better America for themselves in future - but I think it unlikely. Too many have come like carrion. Not enough who want to build.

Many ideas, yes. Not a cohesion of beliefs, a diversity of beliefs. We're never going to discover anything unless we avoid thinking like Br's where we refuse to speculate and just stick with what's already been figured out for us by someone else. That might be a good idea for the dumbed down masses but it's a terrible idea for staying ahead in the world. I believe there's more to life than meets the eye. I believe there's a solution to every problem. I believe that life has meaning. I believe in you. I believe. There's tremendous power in belief, and there's tremendous lethargy in the lack of it.

Maybe Texas will still shoot suspects from the beds of their rolling pickup trucks? Works well enough on 'The Walking Dead' and besides, I'd suspect injured people walking with a gimp in their leg for being zombies too.

Can't use a helicopter? OK - have it your own way..............

300px-A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight.jpg

• Like 1