Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ah-oh, evidence of alternate universe found

Professor T

An ‘alternative universe’ will eventually destroy ours, says Higgs researcher.

Scientists say they may be able to determine the eventual fate of the cosmos as they probe the properties of the Higgs boson. A concept known as vacuum instability could result, billions of years from now, in a new universe opening up in the present one and replacing it. It all depends on some precise numbers related to the Higgs that researchers are currently trying to pin down.

The theory states that in billions of years a "bubble" made of an alternative universe will pop into existence after a quantum fluctuation, at a lower energy state than the rest of the universe. That bubble will then start to expand at the speed of light and eventually "sweep everything before it", enveloping the universe itself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21499765

http://news.yahoo.co...-152236961.html

http://www.huffingto..._n_2716830.html

On the Bright side... :) They have also expressed the usual ("It wont happen for Millions of Years") responce, so everything is groovy here, you can stop clentching.. :D:tu:

Edited by Professor T

An ‘alternative universe’ will eventually destroy ours, says Higgs researcher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21499765

http://news.yahoo.co...-152236961.html

http://www.huffingto..._n_2716830.html

On the Bright side... :) They have also expressed the usual ("It wont happen for Millions of Years") responce, so everything is groovy here, you can stop clentching.. :D:tu:

Isnt it great we cannot even put man on another planet,yet we are so certain all these things will take millions of years to happen?

• Like 5

Isnt it great we cannot even put man on another planet,yet we are so certain all these things will take millions of years to happen?

I know.. Isn't it mind boggling how quickly the calculator is whipped out and a millions or billions of years are added to the lifespan of the universe this universe once it's discovered that it has a lifespan..

• Like 3

And this is why they've spent billions on this Higgs-Boson thing? What is the actual point of any of this?

• Like 1

its just to kick the consumer spending numbers, Dec 21 2012 posted massive records of retail profits to the global economy

Actually, jokes aside, this could turn out to be quite significant.. No way am I a scientist, but from what I know, if when the rest of the data is anylised it turns out that matter is as unstable as they say it is, there's all sorts of new technologies that could be dreamed up by these smart folk.. Also, the fact that the Higgs Boson is showing evidence of Alternate Universes...... how cool is that!!! Can we harnes this? Can we create these quantum fluctuation thingies and go visit an alternate universe? This could be the birth of a whole new Era in science fact and fiction! :D

• Like 4

As you said this could be very significant i am just tired of hearing the whole "millions or billions" argument they have no clue lol

• Like 1

I have been very interested in the higgs and dark matter.I think both will have a lot to do with our future technology.

Billions spent on research, yet all they needed was to ask a few of the people on this forum if we actually live in a multiverse. Answer, yes, and that will be 50 million $, thank you :)

• Like 3

Billions spent on research, yet all they needed was to ask a few of the people on this forum if we actually live in a multiverse. Answer, yes, and that will be 50 million $, thank you :)

I want my payment in gold bars!Thanks :lol:

• Like 2

And this is why they've spent billions on this Higgs-Boson thing? What is the actual point of any of this?

Well, maybe the point of it is to feed our insatiable need to -know-. If we do not -know- something then perhaps we will go out of our way to find something even remotely to satisfy us to some degree. As things stand now we are 'alone'. We don't have any 'neighbours'. We really have no idea how things outside our own perspectives work. So, we perhaps compensate for that by coming up with numbers and formulas to which makes really -no sense- but it does provide us with something tangible.. maybe.

I am sitting here right now, trying to answer Mr. Lord Vetinari's question and I have just realised that perhaps this could be taken as I am trying to prove my point as stated above; however, this was not intentional... this is just human nature or at least my human nature. Maybe.

There are some 'facts' that we do know, but as technology/science progresses, those very same 'facts' start to lose it's 'factualness'. I mean, look at poor Pluto for example.

It's a very common thing to say nowadays: 'This is an exciting time to be alive!'

Is it? I mean... other than technological and modern advances, things pretty much are the same because: We actually do not -know- anything.

I would not be surprised if in five years from now, some scientist will -declare- that our beautiful planet, Earth is actually not round at all and it's only an optical illusion and it really is flat, due to some mutli-universal time and space continuum infraction that will cause our present time line to degrade in such a manner that time itself will not exist for us... though don't worry... this won't happen for at least for a googleplex.

Bah. Sorry.. I got on a tangent. My point:

We must not rely on other's 'knowing', because as far as I am concerned, we -all- do not actually -know- anything. So, until something... somewhere actually happens that produces a result of which can drastically change our Human perspective as a whole, then we are all stuck in the same boat floating around on this tiny pale blue dot hoping for no major tidal waves.

(This post was intended to be in agreement with Mr. Lord Vetinari; however, something happened during the process and I hope my words has not come across as terse, because they weren't! )

Kind Regards.

• Like 2

Well, maybe the point of it is to feed our insatiable need to -know-. If we do not -know- something then perhaps we will go out of our way to find something even remotely to satisfy us to some degree. As things stand now we are 'alone'. We don't have any 'neighbours'. We really have no idea how things outside our own perspectives work. So, we perhaps compensate for that by coming up with numbers and formulas to which makes really -no sense- but it does provide us with something tangible.. maybe.

I am sitting here right now, trying to answer Mr. Lord Vetinari's question and I have just realised that perhaps this could be taken as I am trying to prove my point as stated above; however, this was not intentional... this is just human nature or at least my human nature. Maybe.

There are some 'facts' that we do know, but as technology/science progresses, those very same 'facts' start to lose it's 'factualness'. I mean, look at poor Pluto for example.

It's a very common thing to say nowadays: 'This is an exciting time to be alive!'

Is it? I mean... other than technological and modern advances, things pretty much are the same because: We actually do not -know- anything.

I would not be surprised if in five years from now, some scientist will -declare- that our beautiful planet, Earth is actually not round at all and it's only an optical illusion and it really is flat, due to some mutli-universal time and space continuum infraction that will cause our present time line to degrade in such a manner that time itself will not exist for us... though don't worry... this won't happen for at least for a googleplex.

Bah. Sorry.. I got on a tangent. My point:

We must not rely on other's 'knowing', because as far as I am concerned, we -all- do not actually -know- anything. So, until something... somewhere actually happens that produces a result of which can drastically change our Human perspective as a whole, then we are all stuck in the same boat floating around on this tiny pale blue dot hoping for no major tidal waves.

(This post was intended to be in agreement with Mr. Lord Vetinari; however, something happened during the process and I hope my words has not come across as terse, because they weren't! )

Kind Regards.

Exactly asadora!How many times have we heard "Well this is how it is"then a few months later "Well we are not so sure anymore"things change constantly.About the only absolute we know at the current time is that our carbon based shells will die off eventually.

• Like 1

Mr. CrimsonKing,

Yes that is true: The only absolute we know is that we will eventually cast our mortal shells to the side through death. We also know absolutely that we are born. We are born. We die. Now, all we need is to know exactly what really happens in between. It is hard to be logically positive in a world full of impractical thinking! ;)

• Like 1

Mr. CrimsonKing,

Yes that is true: The only absolute we know is that we will eventually cast our mortal shells to the side through death. We also know absolutely that we are born. We are born. We die. Now, all we need is to know exactly what really happens in between. It is hard to be logically positive in a world full of impractical thinking! ;)

Agreed but when i was born i did not know with good reasoning that i was being born,though i have very good knowledge that i will one day die :P Sorry had to point that out :lol: You are correct though.Think i have went a bit off topic so......

• Like 1

a quantum fluctuation of this type can happen at ANY time, not just billions of years into the future.

one could be happening right now.

one could've happened thousands of years ago, millions of light years away, and our universe is being swallowed up as we speak.

there ARE no time restrictions on events like these, or, by definition, they wouldn't BE quantum events.

• Like 3

Next person who says this I am personally going to go to their house and rip their computer out of wall and toss it in the trash. There is no point owning one. It must be a total waste of science, electricity, time and money.

• Like 1

Next person who says this I am personally going to go to their house and rip their computer out of wall and toss it in the trash. There is no point owning one. It must be a total waste of science, electricity, time and money.

:lol:

The universe is a free lunch and this looks like when the bill comes.

I would observe that this will be a quantum event, and therefore random. That they've made estimates of the time frame involved tells me they have some idea of the odds, but I did not actually see any given.

Those making points that this work could lead to all sorts of amazing things for the future need only point to how electromagnetic research was so pointless in the nineteenth century.

Those making points that this work could lead to all sorts of amazing things for the future need only point to how electromagnetic research was so pointless in the nineteenth century.

was that sarcasm?

As with many other past discoveries we see that at that point in time, like when electricity was discovered did anyone think that one day things like smartphones and laptops and computers will ever exist?, it would have sounded bizarre at that time.

The thing is that I believe that it is very important for us to know the universe works and all its potentials that we can harness to sustain our species.

I may not be able to explain it now but I am sure all these discoveries will surely play an important and viral role in future that we cannot even think of and imagine, at least of now.

• Like 3

I've noticed this often seems to be the response from people who know all about Quantum of Solace Fluctuations, and look own their nose at the irrational science haters who don't punch the air in exultation at every new discovery. Perhaps one reason that people don't might be because it's often very difficult for anyone to have the faintest idea what it all means. If you could perhaps explain to irrational science haters (and I bet they're all Creationists as well) what this means exactly, I'm sure everyone will be all ears.

If you could perhaps explain to irrational science haters (and I bet they're all Creationists as well) what this means exactly, I'm sure everyone will be all ears.

Now from what you've posted I've got a good idea you understand much of this as well as the rest of us.

That said, let me just say that there are many reasons people have different views of the world, and ignorance and stupidity and religious dogmatism are among them. With regard to the specific thing here -- the spending of big bucks on big science by uncomprehending taxpayers, I think it makes some sense. Scientists are as interested in posh retirements as anyone else. It's kinda hard to support mass taxpayer support for things that private investors avoid. The reason of course is that private investors necessarily have a much shorter time horizon (they want a quick return), so the state or combinations of states must do this sort of work.

• Like 1

Sarcasm? I was merely making the same point that Twinkle Aurora just made.

better worded next time then maybe?

• Like 1