Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we have nightmares?

sgroclkc

I don't know why we have nightmares. What I do know is that I have some pretty bad nightmares sometimes. The things I end up dreaming about could be my worst fears I don't know, I just know that I don't like them. When I'm not having nightmares I end up having cool, far out dreams about being on other planets.Those good dreams are my kind of dreams.

• Like 1

bull**** site your source and I'll shred it to unremarkable peices. Your researches probably never considered that nightmares cause palpatations.............. Statistical corolation people.... Please!!!!!!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palpitation

You know... The old adage that your heart skipped a beat. :shrug

Dreams are the reactions of the objective things in the minds. For instance, flying dreams or falling dreams are caused by premature heart beat. You have the same flying dream over and over because you have the same premature heart beat over and over.

But how do you define if one dream is a nightmare or not...? I've dreamed about being chase, attacked or even killed alot; but then again, I have the capability to question whether the current event is a dream or reality. So I can beat the crap out of demons, ghosts, attacker I encounter.

I didn't feel fear for a long long time. Even if I wake up in the middle of the so called "nightmare" there is none palpitation.

ps: flying is peaceful and relaxing, it's a learnable ability, once you know a trigger to it, you can use it freely in any dream or AP or OBE

Edited by FlyingAngel
  • Like 1

Sleeping pills are the treatment of nightmare of being chased of neurasthenia, due to the nightmare of being chased of such patients is caused by tachycardia, and sleeping pills can lead to slower heartbeat, moreover slower heartbeat sometimes leads to sleep paralysis or fainting for people of low blood pressure. Therefore, treating a nightmare with sleeping pills at times is not only invalid, but also it will instead increase the patient's state of the disease.

Sleeping pills are the treatment of nightmare of being chased of neurasthenia, due to the nightmare of being chased of such patients is caused by tachycardia, and sleeping pills can lead to slower heartbeat, moreover slower heartbeat sometimes leads to sleep paralysis or fainting for people of low blood pressure. Therefore, treating a nightmare with sleeping pills at times is not only invalid, but also it will instead increase the patient's state of the disease.

Well, anyone who knows the Chinese as only a human being i.e. not a scientist, can know them, would be able to predict their attitude to dreams. As to science, the understanding of dreams is way beyond its capabilities. I will not repeat my reasons here, for I have just posted them in "What is the reality of science?".

Dreams are meaningful, but that is beyond the scope of this comment. Nightmares are frightening because they highlight things that frighten you and are causing you problems in reality -- you have to be able to understand metaphors, however, if you are to make sense of them. But nightmares recur because of the emotionalism. If you want to get rid of recurrent nightmares, get the emotions under control --- just laugh at them, call them nonsense, and keep doing that and the fear will subside, and so will the nightmares.

• Like 2

Dreams are the reactions of the objective things in the minds. For instance, flying dreams or falling dreams are caused by premature heart beat. You have the same flying dream over and over because you have the same premature heart beat over and over.

Show us your study.... From china was it? You are makeing statements that have a ton of other research behind it. Just a simple known experiment regarding moods shows us that rem sleep is more negative than non rem sleep. niggtmares occurre in rem and positive dreams occur in non rem. it's really not that hard to study. Also brain mapping can partially reveal what people are thinking about or doing in dreams. If we map someone's brain while walking or talking or in fearful scenarios, then we monitor then while dreaming we can see what they are doing. This palpitation theory seems like nonsense to me. A skilled lucid dreamer can have flying dreams at any time. Does this mean that palpitations are causing it. I think not. If will can cause it, then Palpations, why not a fart or any other thing. If you have no control you have no experiment. If some some "scientists" in china found some corolation with a bodily function and nightmares how on earth are they determining cause and effect? people say there is proof for lots of things, but when scrutinized most things don't hold up... Even things one might think common sense.

I think it's hard to categorize all nightmares into heart palpitations. I have PTSD and have had my share of nightmares some where I woke up with my heart pounding and some where I was not afraid but the images were frightening. I'm in school to learn acupuncture and in Traditional Chinese Medicine all of the organs are associated with emotions and when the organ is out of balance it can cause nightmares. When the heart is out of balance the nightmare is about fear of death. Kidney is being shamed or exposed. Lung, being smothered. Gall bladder being chased. Liver is being overwhelmed. The organs all have their time of day. Liver is from 1am to 3am and Lung is from 3am to 5am. I almost always have nightmares between 1am and 3am no matter how long I've been asleep. Usually the same day I'll have anger and anxiety come up from the PTSD. I've also had nightmares when taking a nap during the day. There were times I was in fight or flight for days at a time. I think most of the nightmares I had I woke up with my heart pounding and even during the day my body will go into fight or flight for no reason and my heart will start pounding. I think the palpitation theory probably fits my case. I've been taking Chinese herbs to help my PTSD and I have not had any nightmares while taking the herbs. If I stop for a few days the tension return to my body and they come right back. I think nightmares being caused by palpitations fits a lot of cases and I think the cause of the palpitations needs to be addressed to prevent the nightmares. Emotional stress, blood stagnation in the heart, liver qi stagnation causing heart fire, etc.

Edited by jsowersby

Just a simple known experiment regarding moods shows us that rem sleep is more negative than non rem sleep. niggtmares occurre in rem and positive dreams occur in non rem. it's really not that hard to study

That would be interesting to read. Have you got a link for that?

That would be interesting to read. Have you got a link for that?

No I don't It was a while ago. But at 3:60

Here it talks about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i539ynXmh-c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by Seeker79

No I don't It was a while ago. But at 3:60

Here it talks about it.

Yes that was interesting. From 19mins-21 it says about his mood after being woken up.

What I found really interesting was how at 21:20-21:35 he says about how people with depression can go into REM sleep straight away and stay in REM. So they dont have to go through the NREM stages first inorder to reach REM like whats considered normal. I think thats what he meant anyway which is interesting.

Edited by Kazahel

Under what evidence can you be certain that dreams are caused by heart palpitations? You are establishing a direct causal link, but I'm curious as to under what grounds.

The dream is the organism having a misunderstanding of the emotional perception, for example, the noisy at night when sleep will cause a dream of sound of thunder. For example, if0„2transient0„2cerebral0„2ischemia0„2or0„2fainting0„2occuring0„2during0„2the0„2day0„2may0„2result0„2in0„2some0„2very0„2terrible0„2dizziness,0„2palpitations,0„2feelings0„2of0„2chest0„2pressure,0„2dim0„2vision,0„2tinnitus0„2and0„2a0„2variety0„2of0„2neurological0„2symptoms.0„2As0„2a0„2result,0„2all0„2the0„2people0„2who0„2are0„2prone0„2to0„2cerebral0„2ischemia0„2or0„2fainting0„2frail0„2corporeity,0„2excessive0„2fear,0„2taking0„2the0„2quinidine0„2which0„2may0„2lead0„2to0„2low0„2blood0„2pressure,0„2as0„2well0„2as0„2a0„2excessive0„2high0„2pillow0„2ors,0„2error0„2in0„2sleeping0„2style0„2which0„2may0„2lead0„2to0„2the0„2aggrieved0„2neck,0„2pressed0„2blood0„2stream.0„2when0„2they0„2sleep0„2in0„2deep0„2night,0„2they0„2will0„2have0„2the0„2extraordinary0„2corresponding0„2horrible0„2dreams,0„2in0„2the0„2dreams,0„2they0„2will0„2have0„2the0„2extraordinary0„2corresponding0„2horrible0„2dreams,0„2in0„2the0„2dreams,0„2they0„2do0„2some0„2kind0„2of0„2terrible0„2Belial0„2pressuring0„2them0„2or0„2being0„2hunted0„2down,0„2but0„2they0„2can0„2not0„2cry0„2out0„2or0„2escape,0„2which0„2are0„2called0„2nightmare0„2in0„2iatrology.0„2Vague0„2terrors0„2in0„2light0„2sleep,0„2which0„2is0„2known0„2as0„2sleep0„2paralysis.0„2Sometimes0„2people0„2was0„2just0„2woken0„2up0„2with0„2the0„2cerebral0„2ischemia0„2or0„2fainting,0„2be0„2cause0„2the0„2vision0„2continuing0„2for0„2a0„2few0„2minutes0„2and0„2dyskinesia0„2have0„2not0„2yet0„2concluded,0„2which0„2will0„2cause0„2psychological0„2illusion0„2that0„2people0„2struggle0„2to0„2wake0„2up0„2but0„2fail0„2to0„2do0„2it.0„2

I think it's hard to categorize all nightmares into heart palpitations. I have PTSD and have had my share of nightmares some where I woke up with my heart pounding and some where I was not afraid but the images were frightening. I'm in school to learn acupuncture and in Traditional Chinese Medicine all of the organs are associated with emotions and when the organ is out of balance it can cause nightmares. ...................................................... Emotional stress, blood stagnation in the heart, liver qi stagnation causing heart fire, etc.

Forget all this nonsense. I know PTSD from personal experience. I had it about as bad as you can get and still survive. This symptoms you describe are probably quite a bit less than what I experienced. But I took care of it and have come out of it and returned to normal. All the palpatations and other symptoms come from the emotionalism. Fear causes you to be very tense and that will cause palpatations and all sorts of other symptoms. Of course, nightmares come as standard. The way out is simple: get the emotionalism down. This is all about learning to become detached, to not be afraid of anything you are experiencing. Whatever you experience, whether it be nightmares, palpatations, weak bladder, blacking out -- anything at all -- and no matter how dangerous it seems, you have to tell yourself "It isn't dangerous", "It isn't going to hrm me", "I don't care", and if you can manage to laugh, and say "This is all just nonsense" so much the better. If you practice this, and keep it up, you will eventually come out of PTSD and all the associated symptoms. It is not an overnight thing. It will, in fact, take years, but you will see a gradual improvement and you will evetually, if you keep it up, get back to normal.

• Like 2

The dream is the organism having a misunderstanding of the emotional perception, for example, the noisy at night when sleep will cause a dream of sound of thunder. For example, if transient cerebral ischemia or fainting occuring during the day may result in some very terrible dizziness, palpitations, feelings of chest pressure, dim vision, tinnitus and a variety of neurological symptoms. As a result, all the people who are prone to cerebral ischemia or fainting frail corporeity, excessive fear, taking the quinidine which may lead to low blood pressure, as well as a excessive high pillow ors, error in sleeping style which may lead to the aggrieved neck, pressed blood stream. when they sleep in deep night, they will have the extraordinary corresponding horrible dreams, in the dreams, they do some kind of terrible Belial pressuring them or being hunted down, but they can not cry out or escape, which are called nightmare in iatrology. Vague terrors in light sleep, which is known as sleep paralysis. Sometimes people was just woken up with the cerebral ischemia or fainting, be cause the0„2vision continuing for a few minutes and dyskinesia have not yet concluded, which will cause psychological illusion that people struggle to wake up but fail to do it.

I DO have palpitations. I have tachy brady syndrome and I do not have such nightmares. So much for that theory.

Palpitation may not cause sense of fear or nightmare, while sense of fear or nightmare is deemed to be caused by palpitation.

I DO have palpitations. I have tachy brady syndrome and I do not have such nightmares. So much for that theory.

I have palpatations too, caused by Jessica Alba Syndrome. Definitely NOT nightmares but I do waken up drenched in sweat quite often.

I have palpatations too, caused by Jessica Alba Syndrome. Definitely NOT nightmares but I do waken up drenched in sweat quite often.

Yes, palpitation may not cause nightmare.
  • Like 1

Yes, palpitation may not cause nightmare.

But some do? Hmmmm do you not see a corolation problem here. Again, if you have no control there is no experiment.

I suspect there is a little bit of propaganda behind this study, especially since no one is able to point it out.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 3

All dreams are the objective things in human brain reflection. For example, the sound of the radio may be incorporated into the content of a dream; The noisy at night when sleep will cause a dream of sound of thunder; The dreams of searching toilet is caused by a full bladder. Similarly, the nightmares are mainly caused by several palpitation feelings.

All dreams are the objective things in human brain reflection. For example, the sound of the radio may be incorporated into the content of a dream; The noisy at night when sleep will cause a dream of sound of thunder; The dreams of searching toilet is caused by a full bladder. Similarly, the nightmares are mainly caused by several palpitation feelings.

• 2 weeks later...

In case of syncope, the loss of consciousness of a person can be classified into complete loss【1】 and partial loss【2】. For syncope of complete loss of consciousness, the patients do not know that they are fainted when they come to life and will ask others strangely: why do I lay on the ground? For partial loss of consciousness, then patients know that they are fainted, but cannot shout, move, see anything and cannot respond they hearing others calling them. They want to wake up but they cannot, sleep paralysis is caused by such syncope. Causes of sleep paralysis or ischemie cerebral are the same with those of sleep numbness. It is caused by lack of blood flow to the affected area. If your body remains in the same position for too long( The pillow is too high will reduce cerebral blood flow.) , your hand or foot will feel numb. 【3】. 【1】 http://www.medicinenet.com/fainting/discussion-239.htm 【2】 http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-people-faint.htm 【3】http://www.ehow.com/m/info_8098223_causes-numbness-cure.html

In case of syncope, the loss of consciousness of a person can be classified into complete loss【1】 and partial loss【2】. For syncope of complete loss of consciousness, the patients do not know that they are fainted when they come to life and will ask others strangely: why do I lay on the ground? For partial loss of consciousness, then patients know that they are fainted, but cannot shout, move, see anything and cannot respond they hearing others calling them. They want to wake up but they cannot, sleep paralysis is caused by such syncope. Causes of sleep paralysis or ischemie cerebral are the same with those of sleep numbness. It is caused by lack of blood flow to the affected area. If your body remains in the same position for too long( The pillow is too high will reduce cerebral blood flow.) , your hand or foot will feel numb. 【3】. 【1】 http://www.medicinenet.com/fainting/discussion-239.htm 【2】 http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-people-faint.htm 【3】http://www.ehow.com/m/info_8098223_causes-numbness-cure.html

• 2 weeks later...

You woke up from a dream of searching toilet with a full bladder because dreams of searching toilet are caused by a full bladder. Similarly, you woke up from a nightmare with heart racing because nightmares are caused by heart racing.

Funny if I need to take a leak I just wake up and go to the bathroom and then go back to bed. If it happens too often I would suggest seeing a proctologist.

I've never experienced my heart "racing," but if I did I would see a cardiologist.

• 1 month later...

For thousands of years, all people around the world have mistaken that palpitation is caused by nightmares, which can’t be explained within human’s intelligence. As the Prometheus for the whole human beings, Chinese scientists made bold breakthroughs after 6 years’ intensive studies. In 1992, finally, he found it is the symptoms of cardiovascular diseases as palpitation, fainting during sleep that caused human’s sense of fear (palpitation, fainting may not cause sense of fear, while sense of fear is deemed to be caused by palpitation, fainting ), and which causes nightmares further. This new significant scientific discovery found out by Chinese scientists not only recovered the long-time secret of nightmares, but also corrected the mistake deeply believed by all people around the world that nightmares cause sense of fear. The mistake placed scientists or therapist has repeatedly around the world in an embarrassing situation. For many years, some repeatedly deleted my articles, or some stopped to provide nightmare consultations on their blogs and even closed down their blogs when read my article on their blogs or other forums. Since 2009, there has been hardly any blog for dream consultation published by dream researchers or therapist has repeatedly around the world.

For thousands of years, all people around the world have mistaken that palpitation is caused by nightmares, which can’t be explained within human’s intelligence. As the Prometheus for the whole human beings, Chinese scientists made bold breakthroughs after 6 years’ intensive studies. In 1992, finally, he found it is the symptoms of cardiovascular diseases as palpitation, fainting during sleep that caused human’s sense of fear (palpitation, fainting may not cause sense of fear, while sense of fear is deemed to be caused by palpitation, fainting ), and which causes nightmares further. This new significant scientific discovery found out by Chinese scientists not only recovered the long-time secret of nightmares, but also corrected the mistake deeply believed by all people around the world that nightmares cause sense of fear. The mistake placed scientists or therapist has repeatedly around the world in an embarrassing situation. For many years, some repeatedly deleted my articles, or some stopped to provide nightmare consultations on their blogs and even closed down their blogs when read my article on their blogs or other forums. Since 2009, there has been hardly any blog for dream consultation published by dream researchers or therapist has repeatedly around the world.

Interesting: I have neither palpitations nor nightmares. I guess that proves exactly nothing. The worst that happens to me is that I routinely fall out of bed (several times a week) so that I have had to put my mattress right on the floor). It happened last time while I was dreaming I was having fun on a trapeze. The doctor tells me that sleep paralysis doesn't always work with everybody, but I don't sleepwalk or anything like that.

Usually my dreams are just being in a pleasant place with friendly people around, generally strangers, and I just look around the place. If anyone has any observations I would appreciate them, although I'm not worried or anything.