Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we have nightmares?

sgroclkc

Interesting: I have neither palpitations nor nightmares. I guess that proves exactly nothing. The worst that happens to me is that I routinely fall out of bed (several times a week) so that I have had to put my mattress right on the floor). It happened last time while I was dreaming I was having fun on a trapeze. The doctor tells me that sleep paralysis doesn't always work with everybody, but I don't sleepwalk or anything like that.

Usually my dreams are just being in a pleasant place with friendly people around, generally strangers, and I just look around the place. If anyone has any observations I would appreciate them, although I'm not worried or anything.

You have nightmares frank, you just don't remember them. Luckily for you, you have embraced the pleasant parts of life so your mind simply focuses on that. Your Buddhist philosophy has served you well.

Falling out of bed.... hahahahaha. I once through a heel kick while sleeping. Problem was that I just had surgery on that knee..., ouch!!!

It seems like I get nightmares every time I sleep. It's not like the usual monster nightmare, but more like a very intense dream, where I think and feel like I am awake. Usually when I wake up the first time I have the visuals of me being close to sleep and then something bad happens. Sometimes someone tries to kill me, but that's seldom. When I wake up the second time I dream about my past and I feel sick, when I wake up. Then I have to do something, turn on the lights, turn on audiobooks or TV. After that I wake up, suffering from real nightmares, the nightmare without a nightmare, the real life. It tends to last hours until I realise I am awake. All the time, I just want to wake up.. even now, I just want to wake up.

Nightmares come from the powers of darkness.

• 1 month later...

Although German scientists Wilhelm Wundt thought that dreams were caused by stimulation of palpitations, abdominal distensions, urgent urinations and other objective things, he did not clearly indicate nightmares were caused by palpitations, and even did not give a satisfactory and convincing explanation to the reasons for nightmares. In addition, he did not have any mysterious insights, unlike the Freud's mysterious theory of dream without scientific basis as well as Freud's popularity due to capturing people's curiosities, his correct opinions failed to receive wide attention. A paper published in Chinese Scientists 1996 proposed that nightmares were caused by palpitations, and the two most common nightmares were caused by the two most common reasons of palpitations. After giving satisfactory explanations to nightmares, someone from another country also published papers online in 2002, and proposed that nightmares were caused by palpitations( http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-145666.html). However, he also did not give any further satisfactory explanation, so his correct opinions also failed to receive wide attention.

Why do we have nightmares? Because we reject things which makes us scared and so it reveals itself in dreams. We are ignoring problems or feeling powerless or scared.

• Like 1

All dreams are the objective things in human brain reflection. For example, the sound of the radio may be incorporated into the content of a dream; The noisy at night when sleep will cause a dream of sound of thunder; The dreams of searching toilet is caused by a full bladder. Similarly, the nightmares are mainly caused by several palpitation feelings.

Rubbish. Liquids are emotions in dreams, and just like the physical body needs to get rid of toxic liquids, the mind needs to get rid of toxic (bad) emotions. This is a problem for many people, for everyone in our society. Toilet dreams are about the need to get rid of these toxic emotions. sometimes one cannot find a toilet; sometimes one can find toilets but they are blocked and overflowing; sometimes one cannot find a toilet that is private --- all these dreams and others concerning toilets are portraying the person's problems trying to get rid of bad feelings.

• Like 2

Why do we have nightmares? Because we reject things which makes us scared and so it reveals itself in dreams. We are ignoring problems or feeling powerless or scared.

A nightmare is showing you what you are afraid of. That is the point: to show you WHAT IT IS that you are afraid of. But the images are not literal. I used to have recurring nightmares about dinosaurs. They represented a fear of authority. Among the reasons dinosaurs were used to represent that fear was because my view of authority figures was to see them larger than life, to experience them as "weighty" (the full weight of authority) and to feel threatened by authority figures as though they would actively hunt me to harm me. I have dealt with this fear. I no longer fear authority. I no longer have nightmares. During the process of developing a better attitude, my dreams reflected my development by featuring ever smaller, ever less harmful, dinosaurs. In fact the process has gone so far that the last dinosaur dream I had, far from being a nightmare, depicted a small, baby dinosaur being walked on a lead like a pet dog.

I used to dream about atomic bombs when I was a kid. I still do once in a while. My brain on loose running wild I guess. Seems to do that lot.

• Like 1

What about dreams that comes true ? What about those who s dreaming about little monsters biting them and wake up with bite mark all over their bodies? So i dont think dreams are brains reflections of the things we do ! But some other world that somehow we all are connected . I often hear stories about ppl dreaming the same dream and they see eachother in the same dream talk to eachother ! So why do we have dreams ? I think it is beyond our understanding ! I had some horrible dreams that also came true ! Dreams are unlogic untill it comes true!

I hardly have night mares anymore...

I guess because I know demons and monsters are not as crazy as they show them in the movie...

The question is like in Batman Begins..

what do you fear Mr. Wayne ?

Rubbish. Liquids are emotions in dreams, and just like the physical body needs to get rid of toxic liquids, the mind needs to get rid of toxic (bad) emotions. This is a problem for many people, for everyone in our society. Toilet dreams are about the need to get rid of these toxic emotions. sometimes one cannot find a toilet; sometimes one can find toilets but they are blocked and overflowing; sometimes one cannot find a toilet that is private --- all these dreams and others concerning toilets are portraying the person's problems trying to get rid of bad feelings.

That's an interesting thought?

I've had numerous toilet dreams.. Mostly they're about toilets in unusual places, toilets that are blocked, toilets that are out of order, hard to find, or err, removed during the day time to safe of costs??? I Have never really analyzed this aspect of the toilet theme.. This makes perfect sense... Thanks.. Light-bulb moment!

Edited to add.. As for the OP, sorry, but I disagree.. All Dreams are just as,if not more important than real life.. They are imo a bridge to understanding things greater than ourselves if one chooses to develop the one and only thing we take from us when we are gone... our consciousness.

Edited by Professor T

I've had numerous toilet dreams.. Mostly they're about toilets in unusual places, toilets that are blocked, toilets that are out of order, hard to find, or err, removed during the day time to safe of costs??? I Have never really analyzed this aspect of the toilet theme.. This makes perfect sense... Thanks.. Light-bulb moment!

Interesting response which reminds me of a response I had a few years ago. I had interpreted 3 or 4 dreams for a friend. The next dream she walked into a shop and switched on a light switch near the door, and then watched as lights came on one after another down all the aisles and in other rooms. Interpretation here is simple: the dream was portraying the expressionj "lights are coming on all over the shop".

• 8 months later...

There are two main types of scary phenomenons in sleep(nightmare and sleep paralysis) that are caused by two main scary symptoms of cardiovascular disease {palpitation and fainting (syncope)}.

• 7 years later...
On 2/27/2013 at 12:54 PM, White Crane Feather said:

Haha are nightmares caused by palpitations or do nightmares cause palatations. Show me the design of the experiment please, my guess is there is no control for this ;)

You are in china...,right?

Yes, I am a Chinese.

On 2/26/2013 at 5:54 PM, sgroclkc said:
On 2/26/2013 at 10:09 AM, Moon Gazer said:

I don't know any of the science behind it, I just know some of the worst nightmares I have had happened when pregnant and they were always involving the loss of my unborn baby in some horrible shocking way :( I guess when you are pregnant that is the worst fears just coming out??

All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare, drugs can cause  nightmare because drugs can cause palpitation. Females are easier to have nightmare than males, because palpitation is easier occur to females than to males. Women have a huge amount of nightmares during pregnancy because women experience more palpitations in pregnancy. Physical factors that contribute to bad dreams include fever as also sleep because fever causes an increase in the heart rate,

In regards to "drugs cause palpitations" I'm no MD however many people take certain drugs to decrease palpitations (ex: panic attacks). I definitely agree health issues/problems could effect (control?) our dreams (I've brought this up more than once). Being the primary cause of nightmares? I'm skeptical. Its probably a mixed bag.

Edited by Bed of chaos

My bad nightmares are, for me, my mind "emotionally shocking me" into waking-up from a deep sleep, usually for the purpose of going to the bathroom.

Might be just me though.

I grew up reading H.P. Lovecraft; my nightmares are works of art, Brown Jenkin told me so.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:15 PM, Hammerclaw said:

I grew up reading H.P. Lovecraft; my nightmares are works of art, Brown Jenkin told me so.

Dreams have no special meaning,the reason for dreams was very simple and there was no scientific value to research dreams.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sgroclkc said:

Dreams have no special meaning,the reason for dreams was very simple and there was no scientific value to research dreams.

Dreams are an integral part of human psychology and are, consequently, worthy of scientific inquiry.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 10:28 PM, Professor T said:

Edited to add.. As for the OP, sorry, but I disagree.. All Dreams are just as,if not more important than real life.. They are imo a bridge to understanding things greater than ourselves if one chooses to develop the one and only thing we take from us when we are gone... our consciousness.

I've had numerous toilet dreams ?

dreams that want to clean your self out ) 

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Dreams are an integral part of human psychology and are, consequently, worthy of scientific inquiry.

I disagree.. IMO dreams are nothing more than the brain compiling data received randomly when asleep & not in control of one's thoughts- there is nothing science can look into

The current authoritative nightmare theory, motion sickness theory, and earthquake theory are typical pseudosciences that can neither be verified nor falsified. For decades, after authoritative Chinese scientists, popular science writers, and editors of publishing houses have seen the scientific theories that I put forward about nightmares, motion sickness, and earthquakes that can be verified or falsified, they all know that the nightmare theory, motion sickness theory, and earthquake theory are pseudosciences. However, only very few Chinese experts and editors have replied to me acknowledging their mistakes. So far, no authoritative Chinese scientist, publishing house, or popular science writer has publicly corrected their mistakes. These three pseudo-scientific theories are still published on various authoritative websites in China, but netizens are prohibited from commenting. Otherwise, only by comparing the two theories, they will immediately know that these three authoritative theories are pseudo-sciences.                              

In order not to change the status quo of benefit distribution, all science writers such as Fang Zhouzi in China have stopped popularizing science on the Internet (Fang Zhouzi still publishes articles on English Facebook), and various scientific forums and psychology forums on the Internet in China have been closed (a very small number of scientific forums in China have not been closed, but netizens are no longer allowed to comment on these three pseudo-scientific articles), The popular science book "One Hundred Thousand Whys", previously praised by the Chinese news media as affecting several generations of people published by Shanghai Children's Publishing House and is republished every few years, has not been republished for more than ten years.In order not to change the status quo of benefit distribution, all science writers such as Fang Zhouzi in China have stopped popularizing science on the Internet (Fang Zhouzi still publishes articles on English Facebook), and various scientific forums and psychology forums on the Internet in China have been closed (a very small number of scientific forums in China have not been closed, but netizens are no longer allowed to comment on these three pseudo-scientific articles), The popular science book "One Hundred Thousand Whys", previously praised by the Chinese news media as affecting several generations of people published by Shanghai Children's Publishing House and is republished every few years, has not been republished for more than ten years.

• 3 weeks later...

In 2009, my opinions above were strongly opposed by all on the website forum consistently when I first published them on the website of International Association for the Study of Dreams. After several years of impassioned debate people on the website forum, everyone consistently approved my opinion that these dreams are of no any special meaning and the causes of dreams are very simple. Since March 2009, nobody has published dream-related articles on the website forum. In the end of  year, the website forum had to be closed. After knowing the reasons of nightmares, sleep paralysis, flying dream and falling dream , nobody will believe the dream theories of Freud and other oneiromancy masters. The disclosure of scientific mysteries such as the nightmare , sleep paralysis, flying dream and falling dream is equivalent to sentencing the dream theories of Freud and other oneiromancy masters to death.