Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we have nightmares?

sgroclkc

The reasons for the dreams are very simple, viz. they are the reactions of the objective things in the minds. As Germany's well-known psychologist William Wundt’s view of “the most common causes of the dream are indigestion, heart pulsation (palpitation or flustered), difficulty in breathing, as well as such symptoms." Psychologist A Moree after a rigorous study also pointed out that: "The dream is the organism having a misunderstanding of the emotional perception, for example, the noisy at night when sleep will cause a dream of sound of thunder. For instance, students dreaming the examination before the pre-examination, is caused by the things about examination, and dreams about urgency of urine are caused by the sense of urgency of urine after sleep. By the same token, nightmares are caused by three most common of symptoms of tachycardia cause a feeling of seeming to be chasing. bradycardia or premature or premature beat cause the feeling of heart suspension or heart sinking. and the most awful transient reductions in brain blood flow or oxygen cause very terrible dizziness, palpitations, feelings of chest pressure, dim vision, tinnitus and a variety of neurological symptoms, which are also common in healthy people during the day.

Therefore, people in sleep accordingly will have the three most common nightmares : one is dream of being chased and attacked(occasionally hunting other people) ;one is dream of flying in the air or dream of falling down ; the other is all the people who are prone to the most awful transient reductions in brain blood flow or oxygen frail corporeity, excessive fear, taking the quinidine which may lead to low blood pressure, as well as a excessive high pillow ors, error in sleeping style which may lead to the aggrieved neck, pressed blood stream. when they sleep in deep night, they will have the extraordinary corresponding horrible dreams, in the dreams, they do some kind of terrible Belial pressuring them or being hunted down, but they can not cry out or escape, which are called nightmare in iatrology. Vague terrors in light sleep, which is known as the most awful sleep paralysis. Sometimes people was just woken up with the transient reductions in brain blood flow or oxygen, be cause the vision continuing for a few minutes and dyskinesia have not yet concluded, which will cause psychological illusion that people struggle to wake up but fail to do it.

Scientific theories can be confirmed. introducing several causes of a disease, a scientific researcher will further explain different consequences resulting from each cause to prove his opinion.For example, nightmares are caused by the symptoms of tachycardia. bradycardia or premature beat.and the most awful transient reductions in brain blood flow or oxygen cardiovascular diseases, which are also common in healthy people during the day. Correspondingly, dream of being chased or dream of attacked;dream of flying in the air or dream of falling down and the most awful sleep paralysis these three kinds of nightmares with different clinical manifestations will be caused. On the contrary, pseudoscience is confined to introducing the causes of nightmares and motion sickness, without further explaining each causes different clinical manifestations. Otherwise, the lie will be self-defeating.

Scientific theories can also be testable and make falsifiable predictions.For instance, a view holds,sleep paralysis is caused by transient reductions in brain blood flow or oxygen,It causes a feeling of dizziness and sometimes even altered awareness or loss of consciousness.The patient may also complain of chest pain, dyspnoea, blurred vision, paraesthesias, muscle cramps and fatigue, This feeling is accompanied by such physical symptoms as palpitations, dyspnoea, sweating, trembling and abdominal discomfort.However, symptoms can vary from person to person.In our sleep or dream,Sometimes even altered awareness or loss of consciousness is producing completely paralyzed, can't more, can't speak, breathing is controlled and troubled.The frightful dizziness is producing the frightful devil.Palpitations of tachycardia is producing being attacked of frightful devil.When we deep sleep,Transient reductions in brain blood flow or oxygen is producing the colorful dream.When we shallow sleep or awake,Transient reductions in brain blood flow or oxygen give we a fright.When we awake,we stand up too fast from a sitting that we are likely to suffer from frightful transient reductions in brain blood flow 

Most important,the experiment confirmed the idea.For example,when the everyone had sleep paralysis ,because transient reductions in brain blood flow is caused by The pillow too high.This explains people who not have a feeling of palpitations and suffered fright had sleep paralysis but people who not have a feeling of palpitations and suffered fright did not have nightmare of only feeling of palpitations.

dyspnea,chest pain,Palpitations and transient reductions in brain blood flow all are symptom of cardiovascular disease aspect.As psychologist or dream researchers was ignorant at cardiovascular disease,they cannot explain symptom of palpitations and transient reductions in brain blood flow the person's sleeping.So they offered all kinds of absurd idea of nightmare.Palpitations and transient reductions in brain blood flow all are symptom of cardiovascular disease aspect.As psychologist or dream researchers was ignorant at cardiovascular disease,they cannot explain symptom of palpitations and transient reductions in brain blood flow the person's sleeping.So they offered all kinds of absurd idea of nightmare.

• Like 1

Why do we have nightmares?

I think it from everything we worry about ,I`ve always have dreams I`m lost, even I feel that way in real life:)  do you ever have dreams of falling down struggling to get up and can`nt move out of the way of something in different dreams?

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Factors like anxiety, pressure, illness, medications, watch horror movies what experts commonly referred to are not causes for nightmares, but several pathways result in nightmares. This is completely wrong just like saying transfusion and maternal and child are ways to transmit hepatitis B, or several pathways such as too much water before sleeping or taking diuretics are causes for dreams about looking for toilet because of urgent urination. There are various pathways resulted in a result but only with one cause. Only one cause for hepatitis B, and likewise, full urine in bladder is the only reason for dream of looking for toilet. Similarly, scary heartbeat throbbing is the primary cause for terrible nightmare. Pathways like anxiety, pressure, illness, medications, watch horror movies are not the causes. As long as people have palpitation during sleep, they will still have nightmare (people still have nightmare even if factors such as anxiety, pressure, illness, medications, watch horror movies don’t exist, which is enough to prove these factors are not the causes for nightmares, and also the reason why these experts are self-contradictory and have no choice but to admit they still remain unknown the causes for nightmares). On the contrary, even if anxiety, pressure, illness, medications, watch horror movies exist, people won’t have nightmare as long as palpitation doesn’t appear in their sleep. The reason why anxiety, pressure, illness, medications, watch horror movies can easily give rise to nightmare is that these factors easily result in palpitations, and all factors that can easily cause palpitations will easily cause nightmares. If a certain palpitation frequently occurs, or one feels anxious the whole day, he surely will have frequent nightmare through the whole night and have such phenomenon as insomnia and dreamful sleep in cold night without thick quilt. For instance, people who have instant strenuous exercise in daytime, or being terrified and watch horror movies will easily lead to palpitation and nightmares in few days. I fully understand this kind of feeling for every time when I suddenly have strenuous exercise in daytime, I surely will have nightmare in the evening.

• Like 1

I should post on the Dreams and Consciousness forum,I haven't posted on the Dreams and Consciousness forum, pointing out that the reason for the dream is very simple and has no value of in-depth research, because I feel sorry, and the post will be deleted. I previously posted a reply in this forum, which has also been deleted.

On 2/25/2013 at 9:38 AM, ReaperS_ParadoX said:

When I was younger and use to have sleepovers with my cousins at my grandmas house, they all use to say what they were gonna dream about, like they could control it. I never said what I was going to dream about because I dont think you can control the dream world....especially at that young of an age.

You can. 

When I was little, I would dream of being chased by a monster.

I remember that I ran down stairs in the dream and found myself at a dead end.

I realized then that I was in a dream and that it was my dream. I even said this out loud in the dream. "Wait a minute...this is my dream!"

So I made a door and just walked out. Then I woke up and never had that dream again.

• Like 1

I searched for "Why do we have nightmares?" on Google. The pseudoscientific theory about nightmare with special significance actually appeared on the first web page!

A source of confusion or anxiety for most, nightmares may serve a very beneficial purpose, according to researchers.

Advertisement

Nightmares are helpful to our survival or else they probably would have been done away with by evolution, said Deirdre Barrett, a psychologist at Harvard University. Barrett theorizes that nightmares act as the brain's way of focusing a person's attention on issues they need to address.

"Nightmares probably evolved to help make us anxious about potential dangers," Barrett said. "Even post-traumatic nightmares, which just re-traumatize us, may have been useful in ancestral times when a wild animal that had attacked you, or a rival tribe that had invaded might well be likely to come back."

But this evolutionary alarm bell may not be so useful in today's world.

Moreover, all Google searches for are such absurd pseudoscientific theories about nightmares or dreams. The scientific theories about nightmares I put forward in 1992 are difficult to find in Google.

• 2 weeks later...

Scientific theories can be confirmed. introducing several causes of a disease, a scientific researcher will further explain different consequences resulting from each cause to prove his opinion.For example, There are over 3 different types of arthritis(osteoarthritis,inflammatory arthritis ,and rheumatoid arthritis), each with their own causes, symptoms, and treatments.There are over 3 different types of hepatitis(hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.), each with their own causes, symptoms, and treatments.There are over 3 different types of nightmares(being chased dream or being attacked dream,flying dream or falling dream and the most awful sleep paralysis ), each with their own causes, symptoms, and treatments.There are over 3 different types of motion sickness(axis rotation motion sickness,visually induced motion sickness and low-frequency noise motion sickness) , each with their own causes, symptoms, and treatments.For example:This type of terrestrial motion sickness is particularly prevalent when susceptible people are watching films presented on very large screens such as IMAX, but may also occur in regular format theaters or even when watching TV or playing games. For the sake of novelty, IMAX and other panoramic type theaters often show dramatic motions such as flying over a landscape or riding a roller coaster. This type of motion sickness can be prevented by closing one's eyes during such scenes.However, this method is not effective for spinning motion sickness and low frequency noise motion sickness.For the same reason, the spinning motion method is not effective for visually induced motion sickness and low frequency noise motion sickness.Another example, sleeping pills are the treatment of nightmare of being chased of neurasthenia, due to the nightmare of being chased of such patients is caused by tachycardia, and sleeping pills can lead to slower heartbeat, moreover slower heartbeat sometimes leads to sleep paralysis or fainting for people of low blood pressure. Therefore, treating a nightmare with sleeping pills at times is not only invalid, but also it will instead increase the patient’s state of the disease. 
 On the contrary, pseudoscience is confined to introducing the causes of nightmares(For example, Six Reasons We Have Bad Dreams .Another example,
Nightmares can arise for a number of reasons—stress, anxiety, irregular sleep, medications, mental health disorders)and motion sickness(There are several types of motion sickness, depending on the underlying cause. These include seasickness, carsickness, airsickness, space sickness axis rotation motion sickness,visually induced motion sickness and simulation sickness. ), without further explaining each causes different clinical manifestations ,symptoms, and treatments. Otherwise, the lie will be self-defeating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2013 at 11:00 PM, sgroclkc said:

Similarly, the nightmares are mainly caused by several palpitation feelings . When palpitations occurs, people will have two most common feelings: one is tachycardia cause a feeling of seeming to be chasing ; the other is bradycardia or premature beat cause the feeling of heart suspension or heart sinking. Therefore, people in sleep accordingly will have the two most common nightmares : one is dream of being chased (occasionally hunting other people) ; the other is dream of flying in the air or dream of falling down.

Where does lucid dreaming come into this?

Also after reading this thread again I only wonder why anyone would think a flying dream counts as a nightmare.

Edited by Kazahel
To keep it simple and avoid argument.

54 minutes ago, Kazahel said:

I only wonder why anyone would think a flying dream counts as a nightmare.

I guess it would count if you're afraid of heights.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I guess it would count if you're afraid of heights.

Maybe but has anyone ever honestly heard of someone telling a flying dream they've had as a nightmare. Like anyone? People tend to describe them as wonderful and freeing. While the op is claiming the study says a flying dream is a "common nightmare". A falling dream may scare people(though I don't know how common an actual falling dream is), a quick falling sensation on the verge of sleep seems to be. So maybe they just mean that and not an actual dream. Maybe some is lost in translation.

I can only remember one dream at the moment I've had that could maybe be classed as a nightmare in which I flew. I dreamt I came home from war(like WW1 or something)and my partner was leaving me. So broken hearted I jumped off the boat and into the ocean to kill myself. I breathed in water quickly to die but didn't. So I knew I was dreaming. I then flew up out of the ocean and proceeded to cut my face on the jagged metal boat as I kept deliberately flying through it. Aiming for the sharpest pieces, over and over. So it started as a nightmare I guess and ended with lucid self harm lol.

But I doubt that was caused by heart palpitations, though I was.. broken hearted! So who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Kazahel said:

Maybe but has anyone ever honestly heard of someone telling a flying dream they've had as a nightmare. Like anyone? People tend to describe them as wonderful and freeing. While the op is claiming the study says a flying dream is a "common nightmare". A falling dream may scare people(though I don't know how common an actual falling dream is), a quick falling sensation on the verge of sleep seems to be. So maybe they just mean that and not an actual dream. Maybe some is lost in translation.

I can only remember one dream at the moment I've had that could maybe be classed as a nightmare in which I flew. I dreamt I came home from war(like WW1 or something)and my partner was leaving me. So broken hearted I jumped off the boat and into the ocean to kill myself. I breathed in water quickly to die but didn't. So I knew I was dreaming. I then flew up out of the ocean and proceeded to cut my face on the jagged metal boat as I kept deliberately flying through it. Aiming for the sharpest pieces, over and over. So it started as a nightmare I guess and ended with lucid self harm lol.

But I doubt that was caused by heart palpitations, though I was.. broken hearted! So who knows. 

I'm just voicing an idea. I'm not invested in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm just voicing an idea. I'm not invested in this thread.

I thought it was your humor a light way to see it. :D

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kazahel said:

Yes, I have had dreams I was flying off a cliff into the abyss below more than once and at the time it was frightening.  Or I was Thelma and Louise ing myself off a steep cliff and woke up a bit rattled. 

Not to make light of your dream because from a psychoanalytic perspective it offers an interesting opportunity for exploration. I did chuckle at your “I guess I ended with lucid self harm.”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Yes, I have had dreams I was flying off a cliff into the abyss below more than once and at the time it was frightening.  Or I was Thelma and Louise ing myself off a steep cliff and woke up a bit rattled. 

Not to make light of your dream because from a psychoanalytic perspective it offers an interesting opportunity for exploration. I did chuckle at your “I guess I ended with lucid self harm.”

Base jumping. Nice! Does that count as actually flying or falling though.

I'm glad it gave you a chuckle.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I thought it was your humor a light way to see it. :D

If I was afraid of heights I'd guess that both flying and falling dreams would be nightmarish.

• Haha 1

Dreams are flashes of the mind's journey across it's subconscious ocean when the body is at rest. It's a sort of psychological pareidolia, as the subconscious tries to make sense of thought fragments churning about in a sea of disjunct memories, ideas, emotions and fantasies. From this material the mind weaves the fabric of dreams.,

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 4:01 PM, sgroclkc said:

sychologist A Moree after a rigorous study also pointed out that: "The dream is the organism having a misunderstanding of the emotional perception, for example, the noisy at night when sleep will cause a dream of sound of thunder. For instance, students dreaming the examination before the pre-examination, is caused by the things about examination, and dreams about urgency of urine are caused by the sense of urgency of urine after sleep.

Psychologist A Moree is on the ball there... I wonder how long this rigorous study took to come up with the bleeding obvious!?

That's got to be the funniest thing I've read in a while- & that's up against some pretty stiff opposition in this place! :blink:

• 4 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 6:28 AM, Hammerclaw said:

Dreams are flashes of the mind's journey across it's subconscious ocean when the body is at rest. It's a sort of psychological pareidolia, as the subconscious tries to make sense of thought fragments churning about in a sea of disjunct memories, ideas, emotions and fantasies. From this material the mind weaves the fabric of dreams.,

Subconscious theory cannot be falsified, It is a typical pseudoscience.

The big difference Popper identifies between science and pseudo-science is a difference in attitude. While a pseudo-science is set up to look for evidence that supports its claims(For example,pseudoscience theory of tectonic earthquakes 、 pseudoscience theory of nightmare , gastric disease theory before Helicobacter pylori was found,pseudoscience theory of motion sickness 

), Popper says, a science is set up to challenge its claims and look for evidence that might prove it false(For example, my nightmare theory, earthquake gas explosion theory and motion sickness theory.). In other words, pseudo-science seeks confirmations and science seeks falsifications.

There is a corresponding difference that Popper sees in the form of the claims made by sciences and pseudo-sciences: Scientific claims are falsifiable -- that is, they are claims where you could set out what observable outcomes would be impossible if the claim were true -- while pseudo-scientific claims fit with any imaginable set of observable outcomes. What this means is that you could do a test that shows a scientific claim to be false, but no conceivable test could show a pseudo-scientific claim to be false. Sciences are testable, pseudo-sciences are not.

• Like 1

My previous view that sleep paralysis is caused by syncope is incorrect.

The cause of sleep paralysis is very simple. It is caused by a very terrible the reduced blood supply to the brain, common symptoms include very terrible dizziness, palpitations, tinnitus, visual impairment that can't see, and auditory impairment that can't hear,blurred vision,weakness, fatigue, nausea and headache. Less common symptoms include syncope, dyspnea, chest pain, and neck and shoulder pain. When symptoms occur they can vary greatly in expression from one individual to another. 

(Refer to lEvaluation and Management of Orthostatic Hypotension).

Hypotension, anemia, improper sleeping position or poor blood flow in the neck caused by too high pillow are several common causes of the reduced blood supply to the brain during sleep at night. In particular, anyone with too high pillow during sleep is bound to have sleep paralysis repeatedly all night. This terrible the reduced blood supply to the brain is more likely to occur during waking up during the day than during sleep at night. For example, almost everyone suddenly stands up when their blood pressure is low in summer, and has experienced the terrible symptoms of the reduced blood supply to the brain caused by orthostatic hypotension.

Accordingly, the terrible dizziness during cerebral ischemia will lead to the illusion of seeing the terrible demon, the palpitation with too fast heartbeat will lead to the illusion of being attacked by the terrible demon, and tinnitus will lead to the illusion of hearing a certain sound. Because people's instinctive reaction is that your dare not move your body when your can't see the surrounding environment clearly after waking up, therefore, the visual obstacle that your eyes can't see will lead to the illusion of being unable to move your body or can't open your eyes.

• 1 month later...

I remember this post on Reddit about it. I liked the explanation

• 2 months later...