Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parts of ancient continent found

Waspie_Dwarf

Fragments of ancient continent buried under Indian Ocean

Fragments of an ancient continent are buried beneath the floor of the Indian Ocean, a study suggests.

Researchers have found evidence for a landmass that would have existed between 2,000 and 85 million years ago.

The strip of land, which scientists have called Mauritia, eventually fragmented and vanished beneath the waves as the modern world started to take shape.

arrow3.gifRead more...

That's cool. I can't wait for more news.

Poor creationists.

Note - There is a good discussion (kind of) in the comments section of article page. Must see.

Edited by Twinkle Arora is back

I'm not sure what all the excitement's about. The sea level's been rising for a long time and covering more land. Unknown ancient cities under water is exciting, ancient "land", so what?

Where are the Atlantis and Lemuria folks?

and it took us this long to figure this out? so they analysed grains of sand and that told them there had been a super continent. so why did we wait until now to start analysing sand if we could've done it earlier? And why do we have to wait another 100 years before they foreheadpalm themselves and come up with the genius idea that they could actually analyse sand from beaches all around the world? good to know we're in good hands thanks to all these experts. and they can analyse sand but no one seems to be able to analyse stuff like star jelly so they could tell us what it is. instead they make guesses, like frog spawn. you don't need a phd to make guesses like that, imho

wait a minute... aren't we all living on ancient land fragments that were once joined together in Pangea? I guess I missunderstand..

• Like 1

Just looking at a world map you can see evidence that everything fit together in the past. The world is a living thing. What with the tectonic plates shifting, etc., the continents are bound to move about. I would love to see the mountains on the bottom of the ocean and all that has disappeared beneath the waves, but where would we put all the water so that we could do so?

Thats cool its not enough to make me say wow of course but I do love a good discovery not sure what good it does though right now for us.still a love a good to amazing discovery

wait a minute... aren't we all living on ancient land fragments that were once joined together in Pangea? I guess I missunderstand..

:tu: And they said its well explained....Well this news show its not.

Edited by the L

Come on people, don't poke at the scientist. Most of them worked hard at getting their phds. So they would be able to tell there land beneath the seas or cities that the locals already knew about.

I suspect this will represent another outpost of the Ice age civilization which spawned legends of Eden and Atlantic. The Tamils also have legends of a pre-deluge civilization off their coast.

Eventually they will admit that human history is a lot more complex than "it all began in Mesopotamia".

Br Cornelius