Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

German nuns 'face headscarf ban'

Talon

German nuns 'face headscarf ban'

A German court has ruled that a regional ban on Muslim teachers wearing headscarves in state schools must also apply to Christian nuns, reports say.

The south-western state of Baden-Wuerttemberg passed a law in April, preventing teachers from wearing Islamic-style headscarves.

But Germany's highest administrative court says the law must apply to all faiths, Der Spiegel magazine reports.

Last year, the Constitutional Court said states could ban headscarves.

No exceptions

"Exceptions for certain forms of religiously motivated clothing in certain regions are out of the question," the federal judges of the Federal Administrative Court wrote in their ruling as quoted by Der Spiegel, in an advance copy of its Monday issue.

A copy of the ruling was not available.

The court's decision means that nuns, who often work in state schools in the predominantly Roman Catholic Black Forest region of Baden-Wuerttemberg, will have to remove their habits before going into classrooms.

But the author of the legislation in Baden-Wuerttemberg, law professor Ferdinand Kirchhof, said the nuns' habits were "professional uniforms" and so not subject to the ban.

Baden-Wuerttemberg's parliament - dominated by a coalition of the opposition Christian Democratic Union and liberal Free Democrats - backed the legislation almost unanimously.

Another five out of 16 states are in the process of passing similar legislation.

The issue has been fiercely debated in Germany since Fereshta Ludin, who was denied a job in Baden-Wuerttemberg in 1998 because she wore a headscarf in school, went to court.

She argued that the German constitution guaranteed her religious freedom.

Last September, the federal Constitutional Court ruled by five votes to three that, under current laws, she could wear the scarf.

But it also said new laws could be passed by individual states banning them if they were deemed to unduly influence pupils.

In France, there is similar controversy about a ban on the wearing of religious symbols by pupils in state schools.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...ope/3731368.stm

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• bathory

• DC09

• Stellar

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be kinda weird. But I guess if it applies to one it should apply to all.

A lot of nuns in the US wear regular clothes, though.

Do nuns teach in public schools? dontgetit.gif

That would be kinda weird. But I guess if it applies to one it should apply to all.

A lot of nuns in the US wear regular clothes, though.

Do nuns teach in public schools?  dontgetit.gif

300492[/snapback]

I dont think I've heard of any school in canada where nuns teach at all. (I've heard that they could be pretty brutal though!)

Do nuns teach in public schools?

Yes Nuns teach at schools. I went to a Covent school for girls. The worst days of my life...horrific... being force fed something I did not believe in , hence I did not do so well in that school. w00t.gif

Religion should be seperated from school.... completely. If they want religious teachers then fine, but the children should not be exposed to the teachers religious beleifs - ever.... I feel for you Lottie sad.gif

Thanks honey but I am fine! grin2.gif Its made me a better person, having to defend myself against forced religious beliefs and having detention every month because I wouldn't go to mass. I remember telling a tutor once that I was not going to sit and pretend to pray to a plastic staue that I did not believe in and this was at 12 years old.

As you can see I have always been fairly logical about everything. grin2.gif