Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inequality in schools threatens US prosperity

Render

Decades of reform have failed to create a strong and fair school system in the United States, with poor and minority students at an increasing disadvantage, a new report says. The report, which outlines ways to close the achievement gap, was issued Tuesday by the Equity and Excellence Commission, a 27-member panel that included three Stanford scholars: Law Professor Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar, Graduate School of Education Professor Linda Darling-Hammond and Hoover Institution Senior Fellow Eric Hanushek. The nonpartisan commission, which also included union leaders, school officials and civil rights activists, was created by Congress to provide advice to the Department of Education on how to remove inequality in education. "For all of our initiatives and good intentions, our nation has been unable to ensure that each and every American child can attend a quality public school," the report said. The report said 10 million students in America's poorest communities are "having their lives unjustly and irredeemably blighted" by an education system that assigns them low-performing teachers, run-down facilities and low academic expectations and opportunities.

http://phys.org/news...y-scholars.html

how's this - schools tht prform poorly on standardised tests get MORE money i order to improve standards.

This has been going on for 30+ years in America that there ready to announce its ineffectiveness means they accomplished the agenda of an uneducated America. What will be replacing standardized testing. I predict indoctrination.

• Like 4

Scrap the tests. Teach the kids how to read first, then teach math...no matter how long it takes. Only then should they be passed to upper grades. I'm tired of having 13-year-olds who can't write a grammatically correct sentence or do multiplication.

• Like 7

lol, the autor has no friggin idea what is going on in schools taday. he is pbly old fart that went to schools decades ago.

minority and poors are not treated any differently than richer majority.

they underperform, becouse they are lazy, dumb f..ks, and have no interest in stdying, teachers have their hands tied behind the back, they can't do anyting to students, for missbehaving. detention, lol, they laugh at detention, and if you say something to minority student, they wil scream racist, and teacher gets in trobble.

anyone that thinks i'm wrong, feel free to talk to teachers that work in such schools today.

• Like 4

lol, the autor has no friggin idea what is going on in schools taday. he is pbly old fart that went to schools decades ago.

minority and poors are not treated any differently than richer majority.

they underperform, becouse they are lazy, dumb f..ks, and have no interest in stdying, teachers have their hands tied behind the back, they can't do anyting to students, for missbehaving. detention, lol, they laugh at detention, and if you say something to minority student, they wil scream racist, and teacher gets in trobble.

anyone that thinks i'm wrong, feel free to talk to teachers that work in such schools today.

Yeah, seems like ever since they did away with School corporal punishment, the level of education for some students went downhill over the years. I think a lot of Teachers just sort of gave up after that.

Scrap the tests. Teach the kids how to read first, then teach math...no matter how long it takes. Only then should they be passed to upper grades. I'm tired of having 13-year-olds who can't write a grammatically correct sentence or do multiplication.

Shame of not being seen to be able to keep up with your fellow age group and be left behind is a good motivator to not be lazy and ignore schoolwork.

Edited by Wickian
  • Like 2

Shame of not being seen to be able to keep up with your fellow age group and be left behind is a good motivator to not be lazy and ignore schoolwork.

I do think that students should be held back. I do not know why they stopped doing that.

• Like 2

Simple, raise taxes on the richer districts and funnel the funds to the poorer districts.

That's what Obama and the liberals want anyway. So just do it.

But here's the secret, pour in all of that money and guess what - we'll still have crap schools in those districts.

Money isn't the answer.

• Like 2

If you believe educational equality to be the biggest threat to a prosperous America. Youve been fooled. A symptom of a much bigger problem. Sure.

• Like 1

ever since they did away with School corporal punishment, the level of education for some students went downhill

we had the same problem over here in the UK, kids who could get away with doing what they wanted, which was usually nothing at all, without punishment.

lack of discipline certainly plays a part.

that, and gangsta rap....

:-D

• Like 3

i always find these studies troubling because i don't think it paints an accurate picture of education in other countries. has the author traveled to these countries and seen how the poor people there are educated? In my experience it tends to be opposite of america. the schools out away from the cities are not as well funded in other countries and seem to struggle while the city schools are taken care of. while here in america city schools are underfunded and overpopulated and the country schools are doing okay. I find it hard to believe the guy whose kids are doing their business in the rice patties in the middle of korea or india have same educational oppurtunity as say a kansas wheat farmers.

• Like 2

I'm going to agree. If the student is not meeting requirements, hold them back. If they decide to just live 8 or 10 years in high school, let them. They are probably less of a hazzard in school then as an unemployed, welfare claiming, food stamp collecting, gangster, drain on society, or.... prison inmate.

Cuéllar, who co-chaired the commission, said the government, at every level, must implement a multiyear strategy for advancing national equity using a combination of incentives and enforcement.

It strikes me that those schools that are excelling, are now going to have to plan how to excel less and move more toward equitibility. The best need to do worse, so the worst will not feel so bad. Bring down those that succeed so those who are failing can fail a little less.

So, once schools are funded equitably, how do they plan to get average, or better then average teachers to teach at total Crap schools? Pay them more? But, is that then equitable? Bad schools will remain bad schools till something is done to fix the Student's culture. If you have a school full of uncaring gangsters, they are not going to be educated by throwing twice as much money at the teachers and handing out computers.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

How's this? No schools receive any money and we abolish the Department of Education.

are you for stupid adults then? I DARE you to tell me what you think the Dept of Ed does.

• Like 1

It strikes me that those schools that are excelling, are now going to have to plan how to excel less and move more toward equitibility. The best need to do worse, so the worst will not feel so bad. Bring down those that succeed so those who are failing can fail a little less.

This is what America has become.Notice now days in schools they give trophies to to everyone not just the winner,not just 1-3 place but to everyone.Sorry but if you finished outside of the top 3 in any event you are not equal to the people who finished before you hurt feelings or not.

are you for stupid adults then? I DARE you to tell me what you think the Dept of Ed does.

Federal Goverment controlled programs are a huge problem. I think the poster was expressing their opinion about this. But yeah we got the extra money to spare so lets keep pouring into something that yet again isnt working. States should be in control of there school systems not the Federal Government.

• Like 3

The federal government has no business in education. Common currency...common defense...those are really the only reasons to have a federal government.

• Like 3

The federal government has no business in education. Common currency...common defense...those are really the only reasons to have a federal government.

And an elected Judicial system.

• Like 2

And the judges would be realitivized... put on TV..... their very existence would be subject to public viewing 24/7. They are the last stand against tyranny and should be protected at all costs. We have the technology.. let's use it on OUR elected officials. This is how business should be done when using tax dollars to fund the operation for everybody.

• Like 2

Easiest fix would be to treat problem areas in to basically Job Corps. Where you get paid depending on an individuals success. Which is gasp a federal program and works very well for that problem demographic. I'd take money out of the defense budget to pay for it =D

You get fed housed and taught then rewarded for your success. If you screw up you are out. Most often prison because let's face it most of the students who went there were basically one step away from prison already. It could easily be reworked for a k - 12 program for lower income areas.

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

So, once schools are funded equitably, how do they plan to get average, or better then average teachers to teach at total Crap schools? Pay them more? But, is that then equitable? Bad schools will remain bad schools till something is done to fix the Student's culture. If you have a school full of uncaring gangsters, they are not going to be educated by throwing twice as much money at the teachers and handing out computers.

Exactly. We call the children who attend school "students" and "learners." What are the verbs in those words? Study and learn. If a student doesn't care about learning, they're not going to put forth any effort, regardless of how well-trained the teacher is. The girls are addicted to social media on their cell phones, and the boys are addicted to violent video games. Sure, those are generalizations, and not every student fits that description.

DieChecker is right: "till something is done to fix the Student's culture."

Parents: your daughter doesn't need to have a cell phone at school. If you need to get a message to her, call the school office. Try monitoring your son when he plays Call of Duty and listen to his excitement when he blows someone's head off.

Yes, I am passionate on this issue. I see these kids come through my classroom headed at full speed toward a brick wall. They have no understanding of the consequences of their actions. It breaks my heart to see them indulge in self-destructive behavior.

Some of the parents are no better. One year one girl's mother withdrew her daughter from school at noon, just to have her hair fixed for her birthday party that night! What did that tell the girl about school?

Edited by J. K.
  • Like 3

Simple, raise taxes on the richer districts and funnel the funds to the poorer districts.

That's what Obama and the liberals want anyway. So just do it.

But here's the secret, pour in all of that money and guess what - we'll still have crap schools in those districts.

Money isn't the answer.

My husband is a liberal and that is the last thing he would want, so you can keep that inflammatory nonsense out of the dicussion. Though I do agree that money is not the answer and what do you know, so does he.