Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'X-Men' superhumans could become a reality

Still Waters

A generation of genetically-modified 'X-Men' superhumans could be among us by 2045, a Ministry of Defence think tank has said.

Advancements in gene technology could help humans gain mutant powers such as the likes of Wolverine, Cyclops and Storm in the popular comic book and movie series, it has been reported.

The MoD's Development Concepts and Doctrine Centre warn however that 'genetic inequality' could result from advancements in biology being unequally shared across society.

http://www.dailymail...oD-experts.html

• Like 1

knowing my luck, i'd end up with a really lame superpower, like the ability to smell of cabbage, or be able to tell the size of someone's feet by looking inside their shoes.

probably better than my current superpower of 'psychotic woman magnet' though....

*sob*

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 6

How can gene technology help us to become like Storm? Weather control, seriously?

Well ok, we can play X-Men, but only if I can be Gambit! ^_^

• Like 1

probably better than my current superpower of 'psychotic woman magnet' though....

*sob*

Heh, man...that sounds very familiar, I think I have that power too.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 3

Heh, man...that sounds very familiar, I think I have that power too.

I think EVERY man attracts psychotic women!

(skedaddles off sharpish before the handbags start getting wanged about and the mace starts getting sprayed everywhere.....)

• Like 3

deus ex featured cybernetic augmentation, not genetic manipulation, but on the other hand, who wants to look like something the umbrella corporation made....?

:o

• Like 1

No, thank you. I prefer keeping my junk.

well, if I'm gonna become a killing machine freak, then may as well go all the way. i mean, who the heck would wanna get down with a monster?

Edited by Skeptic Chicken

knowing my luck, i'd end up with a really lame superpower, like the ability to smell of cabbage, or be able to tell the size of someone's feet by looking inside their shoes.

*sob*

If you get the ability to smell of cabbage power,dont think you will have to worry about being the psychotic woman magnet anymore :lol: Thanks for the laugh couldnt stop for about 5 min hahaha.

well, if I'm gonna become a killing machine freak, then may as well go all the way. i mean, who the heck would wanna get down with a monster?

I'm pretty sure there are enough who'd be up for it. Wouldn't surprise me the least.

• Like 1

Similar article, but more along the lines of Deus Ex (and probably a bit more realistic than 'X-Men powers').

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Only one problem with the article. The X-Men aren't man made they are naterlly accuring mutations. Spiderman is a made mutant, which is why he isn't an X-Man.

Only one problem with the article. The X-Men aren't man made they are naterlly accuring mutations. Spiderman is a made mutant, which is why he isn't an X-Man.

Both are the result of altered genes caused by radiation.

While this sounds neat in a sci-fi sort of way, tinkering with the human genome on that level could have very undesirable side effects. Cancer perhaps, or a diminished life span. And sorry to burst any bubbles, but really,most of the "super powers" of comic fame are more fantasy than science.

Besides, would you want to share you apartment with say, the Hulk? (yes, not an X-men character, I know). You would be calling roto-rooter every time you turned around! Ewwww!

I can't even imagine how much it would cost to feed the hulk. To maintain a weight of what...800lbs of muscle? That's got to be expensive.

How can gene technology help us to become like Storm? Weather control, seriously?

Well ok, we can play X-Men, but only if I can be Gambit! ^_^

Wrong accent, you have to be nightcrawler *bamft*

While this sounds neat in a sci-fi sort of way, tinkering with the human genome on that level could have very undesirable side effects. Cancer perhaps, or a diminished life span. And sorry to burst any bubbles, but really,most of the "super powers" of comic fame are more fantasy than science.

Besides, would you want to share you apartment with say, the Hulk? (yes, not an X-men character, I know). You would be calling roto-rooter every time you turned around! Ewwww!

On the other hand, it might also be able to prevent cancer.

I can't even imagine how much it would cost to feed the hulk. To maintain a weight of what...800lbs of muscle? That's got to be expensive.

Not really. He only has to feed Bruce aroungd 180lbs.

Wouldn't want to be the Wolverine. Imagine, someone torturing him, they could starve him and he wuld never die.

• Like 1

I love the X-Men and all, but really........??????

Spider Man I might buy. His powers are physical mostly... wall crawling, strength, agility, webbing. The X-Men are mainly energy manipulators and generators. I've yet to see a good way to duplicate that without extensive technology involved.

Does the author of this article realize Wolverine was physically modified with his Adamantium. He didn't just grow it naturally. But really we'll all need to be Mutants or have a "Meta Gene" to combat the A-I's the brains in Swwitzerland want to build! Or we can become Cybermen, Borg, "Six Million Dollar" people. The list goes one forever. Considering mucking with the Human Genome is suppsoed ILLEGAL, all of this will ahve to be done is secret labs hidden deep underground or inside mountain ranges of under the oceans in specially built fortresses or on the Moon, Mars. Somewhere really, really hidden.