Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Argo:Hollywood as extension of CIA propaganda

Big Bad Voodoo

heres a few quotes from this link

http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/wide-screen/argo-producers-screenwriter-thank-canadians-oscar-wins-055604845.html

"Based on true events, "Argo" depicts a very Hollywood version of the "Canadian Caper," a 1979 rescue of six American diplomats from Iran. However, many -- including the real-life former Canadian ambassador to Iran and former U.S. president Jimmy Carter -- have taken issue with the Best Picture winner because it did not properly reflect the integral role in that Canada played in the rescue."

and another quote

"In general ['Argo'] makes it seem like the Canadians were just along for the ride. The Canadians were brave. Period," Taylor told the Associated Press this week."

and another quote

"Argo" may be the Hollywood version of the story, omitting historical facts for the sake of drama, but at least the filmmakers took time out of their very brief acceptance speeches to acknowledge all those who took part in one of the greatest escapes in history."

Lets not overlook how so much of the Canadian involvement in the hostage rescue has been marginalized by the story told in Argo as well...

Globe And Mail - History must reflect 'Argo' was mainly a Canadian mission: former ambassador

http://www.theglobea...article9011859/

Moviefone.com - "Ninety per cent of the contributions to the ideas and consummation of the plan was Canadian, and the movie gives almost full credit to the American CIA," - President Jimmy Carter

http://news.moviefon..._n_2744219.html

President Jimmy Carter discusses Argo on CNN

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVV2c7k36n0[/media]

Slate.com - Argo: True story?: The facts and fiction behind the Ben Affleck movie.

http://www.slate.com...leck_movie.html

CTV News W5: - Argo: Iran hostage crisis fiddles with the facts

http://www.ctvnews.c...facts-1.1167994

• Like 3

Interesting... I'm kind of wondering why post this topic now? The movie came out in the theaters months ago and is already available on DVD. Is it because it won the Oscar last night?

• Like 2

ITs because the Movie was Good,and Also All involved did Credit where credit was due ! My hats off the Ben Aflec and all the producers,this was a really nasty time in our past !

I fir one Liked th eMovie and To this day remember the Great Escape . THank you Du-Canada for All you Do ! :tu:

Cz, thanks for that interview with Carter!

I loved the movie, but never realized how deeply involved the Canadians were. I think it deserved the Oscar, and consider it one of the best movies I've ever seen.

As far as the thread title, I don't see the movie as CIA propaganda (except possibly in light of Carter's statements that Canada was more involved than we were) as much as a well deserved pat on the back to itself, which considering the historical context is fine by me. The essentially accurate portrayal of historical events, even being a declassified CIA operation, does not qualify as propaganda in my book.

The propaganda movie was Zero Dark Thirty, because it was fiction based upon fiction and fraud and political spin. Its sole purpose was to legitimize the fraud of the GWOT.

Argo was a movie based upon true and accurate historical facts.

The only problem I've heard of with Argo is that it didn't mention those left behind.

Oh ! So Babe Ruth ! We didnt Kill Bin Ladden ? You have proof of this I assume?

In defense of the movie, I thought the opening 5 or 10 minutes was pretty straightforward in exposing how the CIA had interfered in domestic Iranian politics. It portrayed how we installed the Shah, and how criminal the Shah was. I found that little prequel to the action to be very even handed and accurate. It explained WHY the Iranians hate the US.

• Like 1

I didnt watch movie. But I think I can be close to expert when we talk about Iranian revolution and Iraq Iran war. Cant wait to see movie.

I'm looking forward to your review! :tu:

An interesting bit of trivia is that the only country to ever import the F-14, an awesome airplane, was Iran under the Shah. :gun:

It is impossible to ignore Argo’s treatment of Iranians and how they have been visibly Talibanized in the film.

Considering that the Iranian Islamic Revolutionaries murdered many thousands of (perceived) political opponents (as usual the revolution ate many of its own children) they didn't need any help from Hollywood.

They pretty much demonstrated to the world they are reli-fascists.

Considering that the Iranian Islamic Revolutionaries murdered many thousands of (perceived) political opponents (as usual the revolution ate many of its own children) they didn't need any help from Hollywood.

They pretty much demonstrated to the world they are reli-fascists.

It seems to me that there are few religions whose adherents are NOT reli-fascists.

Buddhism and the religions of the Native Americans are about the only 2 I can think of off hand that are not zealots and extremists.

Judeo Christian and Muslim are fanatic zealots engaging in all manner of superstition and cruel behavior.

Buddhism has its extremists: the recent wave of self-immolations in Tibet sure strikes me as extreme. The difference perhaps is that Buddhism turns inward and doesn't as much lash out at the world.

• Like 1