Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lightsabre classes for Star Wars fans

Still Waters

A group of San Francisco Star Wars fans have created a combat choreography class for Jedis-in-training with their weapon of choice - the lightsabre.

At a recent class, Alain Bloch, the self-proclaimed Jedi Master at Golden Gate Knights, demonstrated a slicing technique.

Donning a Luke Skywalker outfit and a green lightsabre, Mr Bloch, who has a background in martial arts and stage combat, said: "Always be mindful of the presence!"

http://news.sky.com/...-training-class

I already lost an arm to a lightsabre, I really don't think this is a good idea...

• Like 3

I love that the best picture this website could find is a bunch of squirrels fighting with light sabers, that should really help with selling he validity of this class!

Well, you shouldn't have pulled that blaster. You just had it coming, tough guy! :w00t:

Well I didn't like him... ;)

• Like 1

Pehaps, but that little one wasn't worth the effort.

In hindsight I think you are right...

The past really, a long time ago...

oh, bugger!!

why is it always the past? everything interesting ALWAYS happens in the past, rickets, pyramid-building aliens, laudanum, and I always miss it!

*sob*

• Like 1

First lesson:

It's just like sword fighting, except you have to make 'vroom' 'foosh' 'pzzkt' sound effects.

Well, being a bit of a Star Wars nerd, I've got a couple of MR (Master Replica) Lightsabers, and these make the vroom, foosh, pzzkt sounds already built in (the blade and handle sense movement and resistance). And being an ultra-uber Star Wars nerd, I've got a couple more MR Lightsabers that have been modified to use a tube of optic-fibers to light the blade rather than the normal LED lights found in the blade of the normal MR, which means I can (and have) been involved in several full-contact saber duels with full light and sound-effects (one time at a sci-fi convention, with too much energy and alcohol at the end of the day I got a poke in the eye and was dubbed the nickname "Patch" for having to wear an eye-patch, and since we weren't exactly medics at the hotel I was staying at, I used someone else's cosplay costume, and it had a skull-and-crossbones covering it).

:ph34r:

So yeah, sign me up for this class, it'd be fun :w00t:

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

You would be much better off just learning a proper martial art... The training is much tougher (better exercise), you lean proper balanced fighting techniques, you spar against people for real and they are practicle as a self defence.

Edited by Finity
  • Like 1

You would be much better off just learning a proper martial art... The training is much tougher (better exercise), you lean proper balanced fighting techniques, you spar against people for real and they are practicle as a self defence.

People who want to use a lightsaber aren't doing it to learn self defence. They just want to look the part of a Jedi. Stage choreography achieves that look.

Considering anyone in the movies who used one,studied kendo and fencing to prep for the fights ,its rather idiotic ,to just not study classical sword fighting ,and use a prop lightsaber instead of a samurai sword or epee .DDDUUUHHHHHH !

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow.... that's just silly... I mean I get jedi'ism as a philosophy to live by (jedi code and all that), it's much like buddhism if I've figured it right.

If you wanna learn swordplay, then start kung fu/wushu, much of the lightsaber fights in the movies (new ones) looks a lot like jian- (straightsword) or dao- (broadsword) forms. More traditional schools even include internal practises such as qigong, taiji and meditation (which is as close as you'll get to "use the force Luke")