Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vatican will have two Popes

Still Waters

Benedict XVI will continue to wear a white cassock and will be known as Pope Emeritus after he resigns the papacy on Thursday, the Vatican said.

The honorific title added further confusion to Benedict’s exact status after his historic resignation, muddying the lines between his papacy and that of his successor.

http://www.telegraph...-two-Popes.html

Oh no, not rival Popes again. They had enough trouble last time they tried that, didn't they. Will they be doing up the old palace at Avignon?

• Like 5

Any "confusion" seems imaginary.

Manufactured. Gotta sell those newspapers.

• Like 2

I guess I can understand a little confusion, this hasn't happened in a few hundred years. But it sounds like they are sorting it out.

• Like 1

So, if the anti-Christ, er, Pope, is infalible, then what happens if the new Pope says something is X and the old Pope says it is Y? Do their heads explode? do our heads explode? or does everbody say "Oh, well we all knew it was 2,000 years of lies and nonsense so lets throw it and get back to reality".

I also read that the old Pope will still wear white cassock, is this that if he wore the normal black, then it could be seen dark against light, anti Pope against Pope. Should a boiled egg be put in cup with broad end up, or narrow end up :)

• Like 1

That's not so hard; the "new pope" will be Pope. The other one is retired and has an honorary title.

It would cause a scandal if there were to be a public difference, but it ain't gonna happen.

• Like 3

Dueling popes or dual popes?

• Like 2

there can only be one, lets have them fight. I heard pope #uno has a nice lead hook to the body.

• Like 2

Double trouble for other religeons.

Dueling popes or dual popes?

After I read this I got a mental image of two old guys dressed up in Papal finery on a old rickety wooden porch playing banjo's...

:cry:

• Like 3

Oh no they are taking his ruby slippers. How will he ever get home?

• Like 2

I can't help feeling sorry for the new chap. You just know that ol' Benedict is going to be sitting in the corner, peering over his shoulder all the time, sucking his teeth and going "I wouldn't have done that", "Canonise who? You're having a laugh!", "You're thinking of painting the ceiling what colour?!" There's nothing worse than a back seat driver, is there.

• Like 4

Oh no they are taking his ruby slippers. How will he ever get home?

No problem, he still has his jackboots so I imagine he'll march home via Poland etc. (Am sure he'll leave out Russia this time)

• Like 2

Since there will be two living Popes, will they have the traditional 'Trading of the Holy Underwear' ceremony. Pope-stains and all? :whistle:

I wonder if they thought that two popes is also better than one ?

So, if the anti-Christ, er, Pope, is infalible, then what happens if the new Pope says something is X and the old Pope says it is Y? Do their heads explode? do our heads explode? or does everbody say "Oh, well we all knew it was 2,000 years of lies and nonsense so lets throw it and get back to reality".

I also read that the old Pope will still wear white cassock, is this that if he wore the normal black, then it could be seen dark against light, anti Pope against Pope. Should a boiled egg be put in cup with broad end up, or narrow end up :)

Based on history they would spend the next few years excommunicating each other until everyone got sick of it and put in a third Pope...and which point we'd have three Popes excommunicating each other. :P

Anyone who gets 'confused' about who the 'real' Pope is, is either pretending to be dense, or is so dense they should be a black hole.

After I read this I got a mental image of two old guys dressed up in Papal finery on a old rickety wooden porch playing banjo's...

:cry:

me too!

but the mental image of ol' benedict saying, 'you got a purty mouth boy' made me upchuck a little bit of sick....

:-P

Anyone who gets 'confused' about who the 'real' Pope is, is either pretending to be dense, or is so dense they should be a black hole.

What the hell is a real Pope. They are all fake so the word real is mute. There a figurehead and a joke that the people in the seats like to clap too.

What the hell is a real Pope. They are all fake so the word real is mute. There a figurehead and a joke that the people in the seats like to clap too.

Note the quotation marks around the word 'real'.

• Like 1

Note the quotation marks around the word 'real'.

I did ;) but now I have to ask what is a real Pope hmmm I have no idea.

• Like 1