Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan will never stop whaling, minister says

Render

But if it is legal, the hunters are not doing wrong. There are many who think that killing raccoons is wrong, but I have to because they are a menace to me. It's legal for me to kill them. If it was illegal, I probably would not kill them.

Commercial hunting has been banned. They get away with it in Japan by saying they are hunting for "science". No one needs that many wales for science.

• Like 2

Commercial hunting has been banned. They get away with it in Japan by saying they are hunting for "science". No one needs that many wales for science.

If this is true then they get what they deserve from whoever gives it to them.As you have said no one needs as many as they get for science,almost like how the chinese gather up a load of sharks cut off there fin then throw them back in the water.Pointless!

True,but are there limits on how many can be taken in a season?Do we have any statistics showing what kind of whales these fisherman go after?

I don't know about limits, but they hunt mostly minke whales, which are not endangered at all. They also go for whales classified as 'vulnerable' or 'endangered', but in significantly smaller numbers.

What I find odd is that everybody is attacking the Japanese, but the Norwegians, Icelandics(sic?), or Danes usually get away with it.

• Like 1

If this is true then they get what they deserve from whoever gives it to them.As you have said no one needs as many as they get for science,almost like how the chinese gather up a load of sharks cut off there fin then throw them back in the water.Pointless!

Apparently they are allowed to kill something like 950 wales a year for scientific research. What kind of research are they doing that needs 950 wales a year? And of course no one is actually keeping count.

I don't know about limits, but they hunt mostly minke whales, which are not endangered at all. They also go for whales classified as 'vulnerable' or 'endangered', but in significantly smaller numbers.

What I find odd is that everybody is attacking the Japanese, but the Norwegians, Icelandics(sic?), or Danes usually get away with it.

Yep they also do it. I just commented above.

I am not attacking any one group,just staying on topic "Japan will never stop whaling,minister says"

I didn't mean specifically you, but the media and all in general. I see a lot of Japanese bashing, while the Norwegians hunt just as many, and no one really seems to care.

I didn't mean specifically you, but the media and all in general. I see a lot of Japanese bashing, while the Norwegians hunt just as many, and no one really seems to care.

I know what you mean, you do see significantly more in the media about Japan. I think on a whole Japan kill many more than Iceland and Norway. I'm not sure on Norway but I think Iceland are limited to a couple of hundred a year (sorry I don't know too many facts but some of my friends know a lot about these kind of things so just things I have picked up from them)

All should be held accountable if doing it illegally,and absolute limits should be monitored.

*Illegal" is also pretty vague. Anything goes in international waters.

True my point being this should be monitored before we keep wiping species out.We have done it before and at the rate we are going it will keep happening again and again.

Well hopefully you are correct,but i know fishermen pretty well worked on several different fishing boats with my uncle in my teen years.Fishermen can be very greedy!

Indeed, humans are greedy. But Japan is a member of the International Whaling Commission, which sets the limits. If Japan wouldn't want to stay inside those limits, they could simply opt out. There are no penalties; it's a voluntary organization.

I don't see them catching enough for that, though.

I think as long as it can be kept "limited" then the Whale populations will do ok. It's the push to go back to commercial whaling that is the biggest threat (in my opinion) as this is the reason why certain whales are almost extinct.

These animals do not come with a bar code a lot of illegal things can go on without notice.

I think as long as it can be kept "limited" then the Whale populations will do ok. It's the push to go back to commercial whaling that is the biggest threat (in my opinion) as this is the reason why certain whales are almost extinct.

And thus are not being hunted anymore, including the Japanese. Nobody is hunting blue whales.

These animals do not come with a bar code a lot of illegal things can go on without notice.

Sure, but I cannot speculate about this. I don't have any reason to believe Japan is forging their numbers on whale hunting. The same goes for Canada,, the USA, Denmark, Norway or any other country that is allowing the hunting of whales.

And thus are not being hunted anymore, including the Japanese. Nobody is hunting blue whales.

Yep, agreed. A move back to commercial hunting though could push other Whale populations in the same direction as blue whales. *fingers crossed* that it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Sure, but I cannot speculate about this. I don't have any reason to believe Japan is forging their numbers on whale hunting. The same goes for Canada,, the USA, Denmark, Norway or any other country that is allowing the hunting of whales.

Agreed whales do not spawn like fish though,it is becoming more and more apparent we are overfishing our oceans as a whole.I will not speculate any further,but i would not put these creatures out of that realm of possibility.

I don't like excessive commercial fishing, and the world certainly needs to find ways to regulate it and enforce the regulations. That is one thing.

Cetaceans are something else -- an entirely different issue. These are intelligent animals, sensate in ways we don't even understand. It is not significantly different from if Australian aborigines were declared acceptable as a target for hunting.

• Like 1

Agreed whales do not spawn like fish though,it is becoming more and more apparent we are overfishing our oceans as a whole.I will not speculate any further,but i would not put these creatures out of that realm of possibility.

Indeed. There is nothing wrong with keeping an eye open. My only problems stands with the hypocrisy some people are showing, including groups like the Sea Shephard (which is also a very stupid name for them, in my opinion, since a shephard is herding animals for commercial reasons).

I don't like excessive commercial fishing, and the world certainly needs to find ways to regulate it and enforce the regulations. That is one thing.

Cetaceans are something else -- an entirely different issue. These are intelligent animals, sensate in ways we don't even understand. It is not significantly different from if Australian aborigines were declared acceptable as a target for hunting.

Pigs are extraordinary smart as well. But I do not value animals according to their intelligence . Only if they are highly endangered I do see an issue.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Well I don't eat pork, but two points:

First, two wrongs don't make a right. The issue here is cetaceans.

Second, I don't think pigs are as intelligent as are cetaceans. The more intelligent the worse the offense.

You might be wrong on that. Here is a nice read I have found after a very quick google search.

Like I said, I do not value an animal's worth on their intelligence. The same goes for humans. It's discrimination.

Edited by FLOMBIE