Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan will never stop whaling, minister says

Render

Whales, Dolphins, Elephants, Porpoises, Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Bonobos, Parrots, and possibly quite a few other species are sentient, and/or "conscious", and hunting and killing them is very similar to hunting and killing humans as far as I'm concerned.

They should be given "personhood" status; not that it would stop the Japanese and other cultures from killing and eating them. They hunt and kill and eat gorillas and chimpanzees in Africa which makes me sad.

Art

• Like 3

Are you also against deer hunting? Turkey? Fishing?

If populations of turkey or deer were counted in the tens of thousands instead of the tens of millions, you better believe that, like whales, I'd be against hunting those species.

Fishing is the most ecologically destructive industry on the face of the earth. The exception would be farm-raised fish, and the determining factor is whether or not a species can be farmed so we're not unwitting dupes participating in the economics of extinction. Some kinds of fish can be, like salmon. Other kinds cannot, like tuna. The oceans affect the entire planet, they require the planet's attention. We're absolutely raping our oceans so yeah I'm against "fishing" when we're fishing out the oceans and destroying entire ecosystems for little to no good reason. .

• Like 3

Yes, "heartless" for giving a sht about the poor wildlife on this planet that is slaughtered each and every day just so you can have yourself a chicken burger at McDonalds ;)

I care about 9/11 :) go ahead on your tirade to now demonise me further than you've already tried. You give a sht about those who died on 9/11 but don't give a damn for the innocent animals who die every day, unless they're endangered? Am I following this right? YOUR logic is it's okay to kill if there is a lot of population, not mine. I'm anti killing, period :tu: Take a look in the mirror my friend :)

I bow hunted for over 20 years. I bird hunted also. I know a lot about sustaining populations of wildlife. I have not hunted in over 10 years, do not care to anymore. I love my steak though.

I do not care if you do not eat meat, if you do not wear clothes, if you love God, or if you are gay or heterosexual. What you do is your business, what I do is mine..

I do hate the fact that people are killing Whales and Dolphins. ( Japanese )

No one should ever us 9/11 victims as a example when it comes to animals. That is just sick. And there is no excuse for that.

So you're saying human life is more important than animal life, that's fine - like I said, people have differing belief systems :) nothing "sick" about begging to differ. Life is life to me and nothing is more important than anything else.

As I said in the PM.....9/11 is very personal to me, and many others. If you had said humans, that would have been different. My sister feels the same as you.

I also feel Dogs are better then humans by far. Unconditional love, something we do not have. ( very rare )

Chickens cows and pigs, yes, we will have to disagree.

• Like 1

One odd coincidence i have noticed from this and a few other threads

Most Americans who are for gun rights are against hunting certain species.

Most Europeans who are anti-gun are all for hunting all species equally.

Then we have the odd few like coffey (no offense meant btw) who are against guns and against hunting certain species.

Just a observation back to topic for any discussing haha

I don't think there is any connection, though. Two completely different topics.

Didnt mean it in a bad way,just how our cultures differ has a few common factors that are shared.Might be a way of seeing some reasoning between our debates sometimes.

• Like 1

Most people you'd ask in Germany would tell you they are strictly against whaling. My position is the minority. And I am also not really pro whaling, as I am not really anti gun. I'm somewhere in the middle.

That said I think minke whaling might be alright, if set limits won't be exceeded and the population is kept under observation but blue whales, for example, should not be hunted.

If populations of turkey or deer were counted in the tens of thousands instead of the tens of millions, you better believe that, like whales, I'd be against hunting those species.

Fishing is the most ecologically destructive industry on the face of the earth. The exception would be farm-raised fish, and the determining factor is whether or not a species can be farmed so we're not unwitting dupes participating in the economics of extinction. Some kinds of fish can be, like salmon. Other kinds cannot, like tuna. The oceans affect the entire planet, they require the planet's attention. We're absolutely raping our oceans so yeah I'm against "fishing" when we're fishing out the oceans and destroying entire ecosystems for little to no good reason. .

Fair enough. So for you it's not about the cruelty, it is about preserving the animals with lower populations.

Animals that show evidence of advanced intelligence should not be killed if at all possible. That just makes sense.

The question then is where do we draw the line. Are human beings the only ones protected by that rule? I would rather err on the side of caution and not kill primates or cetacians.

• Like 1

How about ...

"animals that shows evidence of great stupidity should be killed when possible .... Makes better sense to me ... no ?"

but then some will try to smart up and claim that humans are not 'animals'

I suggest we shoot them first .... seems the only animal capable of stupidity is humans

Edited by third_eye

How about ...

"animals that shows evidence of great stupidity should be killed when possible .... Makes better sense to me ... no ?"

but then some will try to smart up and claim that humans are not 'animals'

I suggest we shoot them first .... seems the only animal capable of stupidity is humans

We are the ones destroying the Earth with our greed, and ignorance.

That is why I all ways say ....

" we need a plague "

I apologise, as I did in the PM, if it was a little unsensitive of me. I do value animal life and human with the same weight, so we will indeed have to agree to disagree.

Again, sorry if my comment was hurtful.

Accepted.... :tu:

• Like 1

Nobody ever sat down with the Japanese and asked them to stop killing whales like grown ups, and you think that's the problem? If only the world wasn't so immature, your mature question asking Japan to stop would work? You've got to be kidding!

:lol:

Yes it is the problem, and the 1986 moratorium is outright proof of it. Not one Whale taken by the Japanese in 1987. What year has the Sea Shepherd enjoyed such success in it's 36 years of terrorist actions?

If you know so much better than pirates and politicians, why don't you do something? It's not enough to snip at others when we don't agree with what they're doing. If you're so right, why don't you go say something mature and effective to the Japanese and change their minds? What are you waiting for? Do you need some email addresses and other contact information to help you out? Or are you going to come back with more excuses for inaction and more complaints about action that are surely just signs of maturity and knowing what you're doing?

Because I am not in parliament, so I will not be taken into account. That's the rules. and we all have to play by them. I am doing something, I am voting against those idiots who do not even know where the fence is in their backyard. If you have some email addresses then present them, I would be more than happy to ask the Japanese to sepal out on this issue. They probably have the same misconceptions we in Australia do, in the we think every Japanese person is strongly pro whaling, and we are not all stupid enough to not know our own recognised borders or support the Sea Shepherd.

A little maturity would go a long way, it's a page from a book you might want to take note of. Your ranting is not going to convert anyone who has a working brain in their head.

Conservationists don't complain that the river is dirty. Conservationists clean up the river. DO something besides complain about people while acting like you have a monopoly on maturity and common sense the rest of the world lacks. Your pattern is just dumping blame at everyone doing something to fight back and forgetting to dump the blame on the Japanese government where it belongs. Japan should be asked out of Australian waters that Australia recognizes via warship, and your ill-formed opinion that can't even recognize your own country's sovereign waters isn't going to affect the debate, much less end Japan's goons from doing their barbaric business.

Yes, conservations DO something, they do not get a TV show happening and capitalise upon the situation. As the Sea Shepherd does. How much money from Whale Wars goes to support programs to help injured whales back into the water?

I keep telling you that you cannot make up boundaries and expect people to live by your rules, Australia's waters are not breached, that sovereignty is not recognised. This is the sort of BS that Paul Watson spouts that people, even some pollies it would seem believe Show me a map where Whaling has occurred in Australian Waters please. The made up claim that stretches to the Antarctica is in globally recognised. Norway has a claim on the Antarctic, do you think all water between Norway and the Antarctic are Norway's Sovereign waters?

You don't even respect your own country's position. The best country in the world for affecting this issue and you want to sit in the corner and cower. You don't understand boundaries at all, nor can you understand facts like Australia (not a few "idiot" politicians) officially recognizes its own sovereign territory.

I know my countries position, I bet your not even an Aussie, ands you are paying terrorists to invade out waters!! Keep your good intentions to yourself please, they are not wanted down under. The only person benefiting form your contributions in the Southern Hemisphere is Paul Watson and the TV show who capitalises on this grim situation. And I'd be more than happy to publicly debate that so and so Watson any day. But he is still on the run from warrants, so I doubt I

You do not even understand politics. Thos morons probably know they do not have a leg to stand on with regards to sovereign waters, but it gets them not only in the papers, but in the middle of a big debate, and they are portrayed as benevolent, and you feel for it. You cannot buy publicity like that, so they get people like the Sea Shepherd and capitalise on that publicity. If anything, you are giving the worst Government this country has ever had a leg up in the next election. As you do not have to put up with these idiots in power who bought the election through facebook, and then stabbed their way to the top, but you are helping their public profile, so your contribution hurts Australia in two ways. That's enough reason to get rid of the Sea Shepherd alone.

I wish you do gooders would actually do some good.

Here is a map of Australian Territorial Waters, as requested before, please place marks on it where you believe Japan has whaled in our waters. Because they have not, you just making that up based on the uninformed opinion of a politician.

154606-australian-territorial-waters.jpg

As an Aussie, I'd like to say that it'd be nice if you stopped trying to help.

Even if that does mean your favourite show is cancelled.

Edited by psyche101

Leatherback Sea Turtles are critically endangered, removal of Shark Nets and Drift nets (line caught Tuna ONLY would also be a help here) would be a major first step toward helping them. Does the Sea Shepherd know they exist, or ask Australia's politicians to remove the nets, and replace them with more effective acoustic devices? Would they make such a request from politicians who are making up territorial boundaries and spilling this misconception to the media ad who also offer safe harbour to the Sea Shepherd? It would have NOTHING to do with the HUGE amount of free publicity, would it now?

That is what a conservationist would do is it not? Help ALL marine life in ALL countries? Why does Australia get such a free ride when our cetacean management is in the toilet? LINK - Removing Walls of Death.

lp,375x360,b,s,V2FrZSB1cCBhbmQgc21lbGwgdGhlIGNvZmZlZQ%3D%3D.jpg

Edited by psyche101

Fair enough. So for you it's not about the cruelty, it is about preserving the animals with lower populations.

It's about preserving natural habitats, ecosystems and species foremost.

Why shouldn't it also be about cruelty? Tell me, what is the crueler? Nearly beheading a cow at a slaughterhouse and killing it almost immediately, or shooting a whale in the back of the head with a harpoon and watching it suffer, panic and struggle until it drowns on its own blood more than 20 minutes later? If cruelty is the reason to further agree with me, I will accept that application also.

• Like 1

Leatherback Sea Turtles are critically endangered, removal of Shark Nets and Drift nets (line caught Tuna ONLY would also be a help here) would be a major first step toward helping them. Does the Sea Shepherd know they exist, or ask Australia's politicians to remove the nets, and replace them with more effective acoustic devices? Would they make such a request from politicians who are making up territorial boundaries and spilling this misconception to the media ad who also offer safe harbour to the Sea Shepherd? It would have NOTHING to do with the HUGE amount of free publicity, would it now?

That is what a conservationist would do is it not? Help ALL marine life in ALL countries? Why does Australia get such a free ride when our cetacean management is in the toilet? LINK - Removing Walls of Death.

What is your problem with Sea Shepherd getting publicity? They need all the publicity they can get, and a lot more than they currently do.

What is your problem with Australia and who's giving it a free ride? If you're an Aussie like you say you are, stand up and DO something. Again, you're consummately at odds with your own country. If you don't like the best country in the world for its position on whaling, you're hardly credible when claiming you want whaling to end. We don't need perfection or the Lord Jesus Christ to find allies in our battle with illegal Japanese whale poachers. What we need is some courage to stand up and do something about it, not sit around and complain about the people who are.

If Sea Shepherd waited for any country to live up to its own standards, it would never do anything. Sea Shepherd has operations all over the world, sharks and Bluefin to mention a few more, and that's remarkable granted the annual budget that they operate with. I doubt you can appreciate anything that the organization that's actually doing something, is doing. But I appreciate your questions, because it's an opportunity to answer.

http://www.seashephe...longlining.html

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Yamato
  • Like 1

"The second angel poured out his bowl into the sea, and it became blood like that of a dead man; and every living thing in the sea died." That'll curtail the whaling problem just a little bit.

Our oceans are already dieing at an incredible rate due to pollution and disasters such as the oil spill and fukushima.The dead zones are growing more every year,i just think we should take care of what we have before it is all gone.

• Like 1

What is your problem with Sea Shepherd getting publicity? They need all the publicity they can get, and a lot more than they currently do.

That is ALL the Sea Shepherd does. Garner publicity. You have convinced yourself that they do more than that, but you are wrong. The token gestures for the TV shows only ensure the TV show will have another season of Whale Wars.

What is your problem with Australia and who's giving it a free ride? If you're an Aussie like you say you are, stand up and DO something. Again, you're consummately at odds with your own country. If you don't like the best country in the world for its position on whaling, you're hardly credible when claiming you want whaling to end. We don't need perfection or the Lord Jesus Christ to find allies in our battle with illegal Japanese whale poachers. What we need is some courage to stand up and do something about it, not sit around and complain about the people who are.

What is my problem? I AM an Aussie, my taxpayer dollars assist, and clean up the messes these jerk offs leave behind. I am not happy that one brown cent that I work hard for goes to that terrorist organisation, and with their international pay TV "incentive" I will never get these filthy mongrels out of my pocket. I want REAL conservation, not an endless show pretending they care. If you are dim enough to give your money to these pirates, fine, but house them in your own backyard too. Not mine thanks. As an Aussie, I'd like to tell you and the Sea Shepherd to rack off. We do not want you or your so called BS help. Nor do we want your BS about Sovereign waters that nobody recognises. Go some other place and make your stupid show.

What does being the best country in the world have to do with anything?

Yeah, we do need courage not some jumped up upstart pirating his way across the seas we need someone with the fortitude to say "Hey Japan, we totally screwed up with the last moratorium, what would it take to get you to reconsider that position?"

Like in the year 19787 when Japan did not take even one whale. Thanks to negotiation.

Not some idiot throwing rancid butter at boats. What they hell do you think that is actually doing? Making them all stinky huh! That showed them Whalers!

What we need is for you do gooders to stay in your own country and shut the hell up. If you want the stupid TV show so bad, shoot it in your own backyard!

I feel exactly the same way about you. I do not think you give a rodents rectum about Whaling, just Whale Wars. You do not understand sovereign waters one little bit, and when I offered to ask Marine Biologists to come into the other thread and explain it in better than I have you insulted me in PM. You have issues Yam, anger issues. So does Watson, and that is your problem. You cannot even maintain yourself in a forum without having to resort to PM to insult!

If Sea Shepherd waited for any country to live up to its own standards, it would never do anything. Sea Shepherd has operations all over the world, sharks and Bluefin to mention a few more, and that's remarkable granted the annual budget that they operate with. I doubt you can appreciate anything that the organization that's actually doing something, is doing. But I appreciate your questions, because it's an opportunity to answer.

http://www.seashephe...longlining.html

And I am glad you did answer, I have asked you before to not bother with Youtube, as I do not hold it in very high regard as my signature says, but I did read the link, and it says exactly what I have been saying. There is collusion between the Sea Shepherd and some rotten mongrel in Australia's Labour/Green Government. Dirty politicians, who I would not mind betting get a cut from Whale Wars. From your link:

Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT): Since 1992, Australia, Japan, and New Zealand have ordered seabird mitigation measures to be used in their Southern bluefin tuna longline fishery and made the use of bird-scaring lines mandatory in their fisheries. In 1996, Australia required all vessels fishing below 30 degrees south latitude to use bird-scaring lines.

Notice how the Sea Shepherd turns a blind eye to Australia's long lines because of some BS excuse? What the hell is bird scaring going to do 30 degrees below south latitude? Save half the birds is better than none is it? How many Australian Ships do they mention confiscating lines from? Are they trying to say no fishing vessels from Australia use long lines? Get real man! It's a free pass, and why? Because of the mongrels taking the payoff from those bloody pirates Gee, hope you do not mind the idea of you donation being used for graft and corruption! Might have been a nice bottle of red for some moron pollie even. Appropriate that would be.

You are a perfect example of TV conservation. You think you are doing the right thing, yet in the end, all you are keeping alive is a TV show that capitalises on that which you think you are assisting. The Sea Shepherd are terrorist crooks. Nothing more, and there are warrants to prove it.

Even the International Whaling Commission revokes their observers status, and calls them terrorists, these are the people who you are trying to actually help by not helping, yet even when the highest whaling authority on the planet, who know more about whales than Paul Watson does about TV, are asking them to rack off. What does it take to get the message across? The Sea Shepherd is not welcomed by thinking Aussies, nor is the Whale Wars show helpful in any way. Go away pirates. And keep your money Yam. Spend it in whatever country you live in. Stop Bloody Helping! It's not wanted!

Are you American by any chance Yam? Is that your problem? You know it was a decision from your country that created this situation that we have today, and you want to shift the blame is it?

Edited by psyche101

Our oceans are already dieing at an incredible rate due to pollution and disasters such as the oil spill and fukushima.The dead zones are growing more every year,i just think we should take care of what we have before it is all gone.

I agree 100%, what we need to do is realise that the Sea Shepherd has been at this for over 35 years and whaling is still going on. They are a failure, and big time, as violence tends to beget violence. The only time Whaling was every successfully stopped was with the 1986 moratorium. Japan had agreed to stop whaling and did, in 1987, they did not take even one whale.

What happened was America decided they might tell Japan what it's fishing boundaries now are, and Japan said "we need that fishing or we will not survive, we have little land, unlike America". America said tough cookies! and Japan said fine, we will just start whaling again then, but the deal had been signed - you see Japan did the right thing, and they were dumped on, and felt not only was their pride dented, but their food sources were suddenly being controlled by America, and what country would put up with that? Japan got mad at American, made up the "research" excuse, and legally continued Whaling again. Had America done the right thing, and had not said anything to begin with, the Japanese would not be taking whales today, but America thought, the treaty is signed, we can get away with murder, well apparently not, the Japanese are doing that with a research excuse. Thanks Uncle Sam. The Sea Shepherd maintains this bad blood, and capitalises from it with a TV show.

But the Sea Shepherd people do not tell people about that during Whale Wars. If they upset America, their show might get cut suddenly, and a whole bunch of people would stop making good money and huge publicity. It's not about conservation, it's about publicity, shmoosing politicians, and making a fat bankroll. We need someone that actually cares about the sea, and is humble enough to acknowledge to Japan that the wrong thing was done by them, and politely ask them "how can we fix it?"

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I agree 100%, what we need to do is realise that the Sea Shepherd has been at this for over 35 years and whaling is still going on. They are a failure, and big time, as violence tends to beget violence. The only time Whaling was every successfully stopped was with the 1986 moratorium. Japan had agreed to stop whaling and did, in 1987, they did not take even one whale.

What happened was America decided they might tell Japan what it's fishing boundaries now are, and Japan said "we need that fishing or we will not survive, we have little land, unlike America". America said tough cookies! and Japan said fine, we will just start whaling again then, but the deal had been signed - you see Japan did the right thing, and they were dumped on, and felt not only was their pride dented, but their food sources were suddenly being controlled by America, and what country would put up with that? Japan got mad at American, made up the "research" excuse, and legally continued Whaling again. Had America done the right thing, and had not said anything to begin with, the Japanese would not be taking whales today, but America thought, the treaty is signed, we can get away with murder, well apparently not, the Japanese are doing that with a research excuse. Thanks Uncle Sam. The Sea Shepherd maintains this bad blood, and capitalises from it with a TV show.

But the Sea Shepherd people do not tell people about that during Whale Wars. If they upset America, their show might get cut suddenly, and a whole bunch of people would stop making good money and huge publicity. It's not about conservation, it's about publicity, shmoosing politicians, and making a fat bankroll. We need someone that actually cares about the sea, and is humble enough to acknowledge to Japan that the wrong thing was done by them, and politely ask them "how can we fix it?"

I do not watch whale wars usually if there is a tv show about something they are in it for the wrong reasons.PROFIT!

I also do not keep up with SS very much from the facts you have brought up they seem to be wasting their time doing very little.As you said something real needs to be done,some group with real balls needs to step forward before it is to late.

• Like 1

I do not watch whale wars usually if there is a tv show about something they are in it for the wrong reasons.PROFIT!

It is indeed quite a big red flag I agree.

I also do not keep up with SS very much from the facts you have brought up they seem to be wasting their time doing very little.As you said something real needs to be done,some group with real balls needs to step forward before it is to late.

I am not sure why some people keep thinking they will have an effect, violence just does not work, especially vigilante violence. I think the fact that the International Whaling Commission revoked their observer status and calles them terrorists clearly shows they do not care to listen to anyone, so how can they learn? Year after year, all they do is taunt the Japanese to come back, the SS member who went to Japan to face trial has also left the Sea Shepherd Society with bad feelings. Many do. All they do is take advantage of others from what I have seen.

I share your wish, and hope someone can step up to the plate before this p***ing contest ends up in nothing more than extinction that Watson profits from.

Forgive me for not having read much of the other replies (only the OP), but why should Japan stop whaling so long as the particular breed of whale is not endangered (for not all whales are endangered)?

Because Japan and other similar whaling nations do not 'conform' to every aspect of our way of life, we see them in a negative light when in reality it is the West and organisations like Sea Shepherd who are the real terrorists trying to impose their ideologies onto every aspect and every corner of the world. I say the 'West' mostly because it us who are so vocal about it.

Yet here we are trying to dictate to the likes of a whaling nation what to do, when we cannot even keeps tabs on our very own stock. What's worse is that we overlook the plight of other species and animals in our care; more concerned with issues that do not exist in the first place than other issues that we have caused.

And let me tell you why they don't exist.

What I find most pertinent of all is the fact that in the 1970s, Iceland (a whaling nation) warned the UK about the dangers of overfishing cod in the Atlantic Ocean. In order to protect their stocks they 'illegally' extended their fishing exclusion zones which infuriated the British fishermen who, in their quest to make a living didn't give two hoots about the population of cod stocks. This led to numerous wars between the two countries entitled the 'Cod Wars' where Iceland would intentionally cut the nets of British fishing trawlers. Yet despite Iceland (who were remember a whaling nation) and their protests, the Atlantic Cod was obliterated to near extinction thanks to overfishing across the Atlantic including by the USA, Canada and the rest of Europe in the 1990s. So a whaling nation was the only country to keep tabs on population stocks when the greatest exponents of the West's anti-whaling ideologies, had absolutely no clue as to what was happening right beneath their feet.

Some believe the cod stocks will never ever recover, as the animals that were formerly hunted by the predatory cod species have since seen population explosions that have in turn further compounded the problem by their decimation of cod eggs which never have a chance to develop. The funny thing is that the Atlantic Cod was only included on Green Peace's red list in 2010 - almost 20 years after the decimation occurred, and probably because it was merely a 'fish' did they not really give a damn about the species' plight until that time (even if they discussed the issue by as late as 2007). I'm sorry, but the West stinks of hypocrisy and the only thing that really annoys me is the fact that Japan have claimed the whale hunts are for scientific purposes in order to assuage the fears of people over here when they didn't have to and neither should they have done.

If the issue is because of the supposed 'intelligence' of whales then that doesn't cut it for me either, because pigs are routinely slaughtered everyday when it's well known that they are as intelligent - if not more so - than dogs (which is an animal that we readily accept in the west as a companion and where we look upon those cultures that eat them with disdain). The West should mind their own business (and I mean literally as in the Atlantic Cod debacle) before they dictate to other cultures what the hell to do with their lives, and so long as the whale species is not endangered then it is within the boundaries of acceptability. It's just like saying "oh wait we can't eat any fish whatever the species because the Atlantic Cod is near extinction and so they should be classified under one roof under one species as a whole". It's complete and utter claptrap from here in the West underling the double standards and hypocrisy.

• Like 2

Well you should go back and read the thread; all your points have been discussed several times, so I doubt you will persuade anyone.