Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fainting for Bigfoot

Q-C

The most common psychological response to a major incident is not to faint but rather to go into the flight or fight state.

Maybe after encounters some people do go into a bit of a 'shocked' or nervous/ jittery state but survival is a humans primary concern, just look at scowl's post about the bear and the spray rather than the camera.

I agree it is the most common or we'd be a sore excuse for a species, if we'd have survived at all.

But it is still a fact that people do suffer heart attacks, shock, faint and freeze up during life threatening or dangerous or shocking situations.

The "Freeze up" is directly linked to the fight or flight thing. Humans still have that basic instinct, however we've evolved to a point that it's rarely needed any more.......then comes an "odd" situation and the brain goes to jump into one of those modes and it can't decide which for whatever reason.........hence, we freeze. Not odd at all the have it happen, but in that moment or two of inter-cranial indecision, you're either a target or lunch. Which is why that scenario is often played out in Marine Basic training, the idea is to get the brain used to making that call in a highly stressful situation and increasing your chances of surviving it.

• Like 1

You're right. When it comes to bigfoot, nothing, and I mean nothing, can stop it. Apparently.

In the case of Bigfoot, maybe my camera would have stopped it. That would explain why there are no good photos of Bigfoot. That big lens would have scared him off.

I think if I had instead seen something that looked like Bigfoot I would have been less panicked, snapping photos and switching the camera into video mode. We both knew that bears will stupidly attack people (and yes, we should have had that bear spray more accessible) but the BFRO guy said "Bigfoot's the smartest thing out here" so I wouldn't have expected it to run after us. If I see a Bigfoot on a hiking trail I'm going to assume I'm seeing a practical joke, not an animal.

Also the bear was downhill from us. It would have been funny to see a nine foot biped try to stomp up that steep and difficult trail that was mostly loose rock.

In the case of Bigfoot, maybe my camera would have stopped it. That would explain why there are no good photos of Bigfoot. That big lens would have scared him off.

I think if I had instead seen something that looked like Bigfoot I would have been less panicked, snapping photos and switching the camera into video mode. We both knew that bears will stupidly attack people (and yes, we should have had that bear spray more accessible) but the BFRO guy said "Bigfoot's the smartest thing out here" so I wouldn't have expected it to run after us. If I see a Bigfoot on a hiking trail I'm going to assume I'm seeing a practical joke, not an animal.

Also the bear was downhill from us. It would have been funny to see a nine foot biped try to stomp up that steep and difficult trail that was mostly loose rock.

bolding mine

Ah! But BF are amazing at clearing ground, any ground.

"I know it wasn't a human. No human could have gone up, down, around, through that bush, rock, incline, decline, at that speed!"

Actually, big grizzlies can travel silently across loose rock too. I read about one sneaking up behind a biologist once.

So in addition to all the other stuff Bigfoots have going for them, they all have a grading company too?

Clever they are these creatures.

The Finding Bigfoot team has taken to calling in terrestrial whales. And no, they were not in Vegas.

What will be next?

The northern Pennsylvania landscape in the fall was spectacular!

Fear is a funny thing and it can lead to all kinds of reactions.

The most common psychological response to a major incident is not to faint but rather to go into the flight or fight state.

Maybe after encounters some people do go into a bit of a 'shocked' or nervous/ jittery state but survival is a humans primary concern, just look at scowl's post about the bear and the spray rather than the camera.

Ahhh, someone finally hit it.

And just for the record, I believe "flight or fight" exists in men only.

So, anyway, when you do have that scary encounter, you will do one or the other - fight or flee, and if you are in open space, you run (flight).

Here is somnething else that comes to mind about a plane hijacking many years ago.

The plane had landed at some remote airport and the hijacker kept the passengers as hostages.

It was a very long ordeal but it ended when a stuardess secretly opened an emergency door and let gunmen in to subdue the hijackers.

In everyone's mind, the stuardess was the hero of the day.

only after the long ordeal had ended, however, did this stuardess break down psychologically to the point where she was hospitalized for some time.

but while the ordeal was unfolding, she was as sharp as a tack, steady as a rock, and fearless.

interesting.

bolding mine

Ah! But BF are amazing at clearing ground, any ground.

"I know it wasn't a human. No human could have gone up, down, around, through that bush, rock, incline, decline, at that speed!"

Actually, big grizzlies can travel silently across loose rock too. I read about one sneaking up behind a biologist once.

maybe so but bears cannot run downhill. they can run uphill nicely, but they are very guarded about going downhill.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

The Finding Bigfoot team has taken to calling in terrestrial whales. And no, they were not in Vegas.

What will be next?

The northern Pennsylvania landscape in the fall was spectacular!

I thought the whales recording was being pretty creative. give them a sound they never heard before so they will get close to inspect.

Any fans of the show Psych on USA? They'll be "searching for bigfoot" next Wednesday.

Bigfoot and comedy seem to go well together.

• 2 weeks later...