Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Billionaire to Rebuild the 'Titanic!

Yamato

The price-quality relationship isn't as predictable as you'd like? Cheap doesn't always rule, I never would have impressed such an idea upon you.

yes it does, that's why the world, even billionaires, buy everything from China. No, he should have made a point of helping to re-start the British shipbuilding industry. Particularly since China, as I keep repeating, has no tradition of building large passenger ships. Why is this Entrepreneur seemingly trying to do what he can to help China, the global equivalent of the giant megasupermarket that everyone goes to because it's cheap, establish a foothold in yet another market? This should be above the "normal rules of business", where you buy everything from China because it's Cheap, and never mind that it's inferior quality. Of course Cheap always rules.

And you really don't think wanting to re-create the film Titanic is just a little bit tacky?

I suppose he means the first commercial sailing from Southampton. I suppose the'd make a delivery voyage from China to England, which would at least test it out thoroughly. The question, though, is why, if he's a Billionaire for whom money is, clearly, no object, choose to do it as cheaply as possible, in a country with no history of building large passenger ships? I'm not necessarily saying that it would be unsafe; Chinese shipyards have produced hundreds of large cargo vessels, but this would surely have been, like I said, a golden opportunity to show what the "West" could do.

Well I was responding to a hilarious suggestion from Riyeh.

I don't think any billionaire would willingly sink a boat he's invested millions in.

It's why I threw Dirk Pitt into the equation but I obviously knew it was a replica.

But if they had a maiden vogage they would definetly have it cruising in the Pacific if you can call it that.

I suppose the whole purpose of this is to set the scene and they can't do that when it's iceberg free.

Of course if they wanted to do a dummy run in the Atlantic I can imagine they wanted to attempt what the original didn't quite finish.

If they don't it will be the most expensive floating museum that hasn't actually done some serious sea time.

If a Western power did invest in a project of this magnitude they would do it for real.

No questions asked.

• Like 1

I hope Titanic II has better luck this time and completes it's maiden voyage. Looking forward to seeing what happens this time.

I doubt he even has his bank accounts there, they will be Swiss.

I wonder if the ticket prices will be the same as then too?

he has said:

"I want to spend the money I've got before I die," he said. "You might as well spend it, not leave it to the kids to spend, there will be enough left for them anyway."

So why skimp on it and not do it in his own country or in Ireland instead of helping out the Chinese?

If you want to spend your money before you die then fgs feed some hungry kids, there are enough of them crying right now to make this stupid rich man's toy look like a sick joke imo.

• Like 2

If you want to spend your money before you die then fgs feed some hungry kids, there are enough of them crying right now to make this stupid rich man's toy look like a sick joke imo.

Very very very good point!

• Like 1

I wonder if they will have the first class in the posh cabins and the poor down below, just like on the Titanic?

• Like 2

I wonder if they will have the first class in the posh cabins and the poor down below, just like on the Titanic?

Yes, that's the thing. I know that for a Billionaire, he needn't worry so much about whether it's profitable, but what he seems to want to do is recreate that ghastly film. Which means that what he seems to want to attract as passengers are Kate Wilmslow and Leonardo DiCrapio, and a huge crowd of extras to provide a backdrop. What will be the actual design of this ship? The actual Titanic could accommodate 2,566 passengers—1,034 First Class, 510 Second Class and 1,022 Third Class.[95 So actually, there was more or less exactly the same number of Plebian Class as there was of Toff Class. Does Mr. Chappy (I forget his name) plan for that number of passenegrs, if he wants to recreate it completely accurately? Where does he hope to attract 1,000 Plebian Class to fill it up? Or, like I said, since this seems to be basically a huge toy, isn't he worried about economics? And if he isn't, why is he having it built as cheaply as possible?

• Like 2

I'm thinking maybe Miami to Aruba would be a safer route, and no danger of a repeat disaster!

I have lost count of how many times this guy has announced this over the last few years. He keeps getting press but no building has started or even contracts signed.

I think he is a number of years late and if you excuse the pun missed the boat. If he wanted to make real money he should have built it in time for James Cameron's Titanic film so he could of cashed in on the hype at the time.

Instead over the last few months we get "It will be built in China at the docks that he has two ships currently under construction, and contracts could even be signed next week". 18 months is a long could be next week.

• Like 2

Just my 2 cents to the story as I am working in the cruise industry. (will leave for the caribbean next week yay) This guy may build an exact replica but he wont be allowed to dock nowhere in the world with it. There are very big restrictions on.cruise ships these days. So it may look a little like it from the outside (Cunard, Seabourn and Holland America comes close to it) but that is about it. Neither the engine nor staterooms for crew and passengers are allowed to have the standards from back in the day and dont even get me started on the lifeboat situation. Whatever ships he builts it wont come even close to the Titanic.

I have been cruising above the same spot 3 days before the anniversary (it was worm no icebergs anywhere haha) but there seems to be some kind of curse on that route. For the anniversary there was one event ship that did the same itinerary with same food and music like back in the day. On the titanic spot they made a stop to leave flowers in the water. No idea how they got the permission. Nothing is allowed to go over board and trust me it is a pain in the a$$ to get a permission when someone wants to put ashes on the sea. In my time so far I had 3 guests coming to me with that request. Im sorry for there loss but they have no idea what paperwork goes into it.

Also that event cruise was late as on the first sea days a passenger had to be medical evacuated per helicopter. Also guests got sick from the different food. You wont find that in the papers though

oh the hindsight is going to be sweet, so sweet when it SINKS LIKE AN ANVIL.

(probably taking an assortment of bankers with it)

Yes, that's the thing. I know that for a Billionaire, he needn't worry so much about whether it's profitable, but what he seems to want to do is recreate that ghastly film. Which means that what he seems to want to attract as passengers are Kate Wilmslow and Leonardo DiCrapio, and a huge crowd of extras to provide a backdrop. What will be the actual design of this ship? The actual Titanic could accommodate 2,566 passengers—1,034 First Class, 510 Second Class and 1,022 Third Class.[95 So actually, there was more or less exactly the same number of Plebian Class as there was of Toff Class. Does Mr. Chappy (I forget his name) plan for that number of passenegrs, if he wants to recreate it completely accurately? Where does he hope to attract 1,000 Plebian Class to fill it up? Or, like I said, since this seems to be basically a huge toy, isn't he worried about economics? And if he isn't, why is he having it built as cheaply as possible?

Well how about we email him, I can do the Wilmslow bit, you can be DiCrapio (I saw what you did there) :yes: , but I get to keep the jewel and you get back to shore safely?

• Like 1

I can't help but think the intricate, gilded wood carvings of the original will be made of spray painted plastic.

• Like 3

Wouldn't it be great if, on it's maiden voyage, they showed the Leonardo DiCaprio Titanic movie on-board? :devil:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Wouldn't it be great if, on it's maiden voyage, they showed the Leonardo DiCaprio Titanic movie on-board? :devil:

Yeah, but this time it will be Lord Vetinari playing the part. facebook-cute-giggle-smiley-emoticon.gif

Wilmslow and Dicrapio indeed.

What a rubbish accolade and not one you are used to seeing.

Your talking about only one of two films that have actually made me cry.

But could those be tears of despair as the heroine continues to get blinded by love.

A person who didn't look a gift horse in the mouth by pining for a skint artist.

But that's beside the point because I wouldn't see Wilmslow as an insult for a surname.

It's a fine bit of Cheshire tucked in commuter country.

Not an ideal comparison for a delirious woman.

Btw the other tearjerker is Watership Down.

Edited by Medium Brown

Btw the other tearjerker is Watership Down.

I only had to look up to see this sitting on my DVD shelf... Bright Eyes ;)

The question, though, is why, if he's a Billionaire for whom money is, clearly, no object, choose to do it as cheaply as possible, in a country with no history of building large passenger ships?

One thing I have learned in life is that those that have money, do not like spending it.......

• Like 1

I can't help but think the intricate, gilded wood carvings of the original will be made of spray painted plastic.

Likely a true impression indeed.

I was recently in a brand new building, and the inside surface construction looked good, but was mostly plastic/faux wood.

• Like 1

One thing I have learned in life is that those that have money, do not like spending it.......

You would be right, as I know several millionaires. Other's though, in that same class, seem to spend it recklessly.

Hard personal work to obtain wealth(careful with money), versus inheritance(loose with money)

My experience anyway from a very high-end golf club I used to work at.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

As a side-note, I should balance my previous post with the notion that there are exceptions in everything, even wealth.

I've seen hard-earned wealth spent foolishly, and inherited wealth spent wisely. But usually it IS the other way around.

My bet is that this is a publicity stunt and will come to nothing.