Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

rare superbug jump in US, CDC says

sean6

Reports of rare superbug jump in US, CDC says

A sharp jump in the number of rare but potentially deadly types of a superbug resistant to nearly all last-resort antibiotics has prompted government health officials to renew warnings for U.S. hospitals, nursing homes and other health care settings.

The move comes just as researchers in Israel are reporting that people who carry dangerous CRE -- Carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae -- can take more than a year before they test negative for the bacteria, making it more difficult to control and raising the risk of wider spread.

this is all we need now right

:td:

Doesn't surprise me. I was reading a few months back about a new strain of gonorrhea and tuberculosis that is untreatable. Might should stop putting patients in the same room together.

• Like 2

Ahhh......Bacteria ......the downfall of man.

Superbugs are accumulating because dumb people do not finish their course of antibiotics. Or at the first sign of a cold stupid doctors prescribe antibiotics. Then the stupid food companies stick antibiotics in everything. Therefore the bacteria grow a resistance to the antibiotics and pass their resistance down. These things multiply with binary fission they just replicate themselves over and over again they are little cloning machines. It only takes one bacteria to be resistant. Some bacteria can multiply 100 fold in a matter of hours. Soon we will be back to pre war situations and if you get an infection it has to be removed surgically or you are left to die.

Ahhh......Bacteria ......the downfall of man.

Superbugs are accumulating because dumb people do not finish their course of antibiotics. Or at the first sign of a cold stupid doctors prescribe antibiotics. Then the stupid food companies stick antibiotics in everything. Therefore the bacteria grow a resistance to the antibiotics and pass their resistance down. These things multiply with binary fission they just replicate themselves over and over again they are little cloning machines. It only takes one bacteria to be resistant. Some bacteria can multiply 100 fold in a matter of hours. Soon we will be back to pre war situations and if you get an infection it has to be removed surgically or you are left to die.

who are you trying to blame? humans killing themselves or the bacteria for killing the human?

p.s i like that , above of you avatar picture "full of wisdumb''

Edited by WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Failure to finish a course of antibiotics is a small part of the problem. The plain fact is that when we use any sort of antibiotic or antiviral, the bugs attacked will evolve defenses. This is just simply inevitable, and is a sort of ongoing arms race between us and the bugs.

What can we do to help? Well, we can finish a course of antibiotics. We can also greatly improve our hygienic practices -- especially regarding hand washing and fingernails. Then there is coughing. What can I say about that? These are all peripheral and can be overdone, but they do help. Of course one thing is safe sex, where so far we have been losing the arms race, although making some progress.

It may be that vaccinations against almost everything will one day be found, and we can then depend on our bodies to fight diseases rather than pharmaceuticals. That will be a huge advance, but in the meantime we need to support the continued development of more antibiotics and so on.

• Like 1

Frank already said a little about what I was going to say about being clean. So I will just add this, I read an article a while ago about how hospitals are germ cities, they aren't being cleaned like they should. If hospitals and other places like schools were to disinfectant then that would help cut down on these superbugs and other illnesses that are going around.

Plus, if people were to stay away from other people when they are sick that would also help too. No one wants to share your germs if you are sick.

• Like 1

Oh I've had a dozen forwards of news stories about this already from acquaintances in the States. Probably most of us have.

Failure to finish a course of antibiotics is a small part of the problem. The plain fact is that when we use any sort of antibiotic or antiviral, the bugs attacked will evolve defenses. This is just simply inevitable, and is a sort of ongoing arms race between us and the bugs.

What can we do to help? Well, we can finish a course of antibiotics. We can also greatly improve our hygienic practices -- especially regarding hand washing and fingernails. Then there is coughing. What can I say about that? These are all peripheral and can be overdone, but they do help. Of course one thing is safe sex, where so far we have been losing the arms race, although making some progress.

It may be that vaccinations against almost everything will one day be found, and we can then depend on our bodies to fight diseases rather than pharmaceuticals. That will be a huge advance, but in the meantime we need to support the continued development of more antibiotics and so on.

The thing is, this is an old, old war. The fungi that originally made the antibiotic didn't do it for fun, and the bacteria have millions of years on us at developing resistance mechanisms against antimicrobials. We're just making the problem a whole lot worse, making the antibiotics so widespread that the little buggers that do have the genes for resistance suddenly get their chance to shine.

Fave piece of advice on antibiotics: don't bully your GP into giving you them!

Wake up? What are you talking about? Who's asleep, and in what regard?

It is the antibiotics that are making them stronger. Don't take any unless you really have to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...