Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First ever brain-to-brain interface created

Still Waters

Scientists have connected the brains of lab rats, allowing one to communicate directly to another via cables.

The wired brain implants allowed sensory and motor signals to be sent from one rat to another, creating the first ever brain-to-brain interface.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21604005

I think this is a very bad idea... How many people have such full control of their thoughts that they can communicate directly with out filter to another - and not offend them?....

Most of our thoughts are pretty chaotic - if not in subject matter then in focus and attention span....

Unless there is a way to only 'broadcast' consciously then this will result in a lot of trouble for every one...

• Like 2

Give it time and we will all be linked. Problem is that all connections will be via some state organisation. Then there will be no more "Inncorrect" voting, or illegal thoughts etc. Utopia beckons us, what wonderful times we live in....

• Like 4

Government mind control,coming soon to a Country near you.

• Like 1

Oh God, "Borg" is now on the horizon.

• Like 1

Chipping everyone at birth will become mandatory. The thought police have arrived.

• Like 2

Very interesting stuff, another milestone has been reached. Man, think about how this could be used. How ppl could possibly reach a new level of understanding. Or make criminals really understand what they have done by hooking up victims or something. Or people in a semi-vegetated state that could finally perhaps communicate again.

Ohhhh the possibilities.

• Like 1

I think this is a very bad idea... How many people have such full control of their thoughts that they can communicate directly with out filter to another - and not offend them?....

Most of our thoughts are pretty chaotic - if not in subject matter then in focus and attention span....

Unless there is a way to only 'broadcast' consciously then this will result in a lot of trouble for every one...

That's why we have the ability to lie or "hide the truth".

Lying's not always a bad thing...

Keeping a surprise birthday party secret or what Santa is bringing for your kids would be impossible without it.

Lying, although consider bad, if a very functional part of our life.

Damn hard to take a "sick day" when the boss can read your mind.

Edited by synchronomy
  • Like 2

I got to remember to get some tin foil at the store today.

• Like 3

Poor rats, I feel so bad for them :(( They are such brilliant and resilient creatures.

I find this repulsive. Why would anyone even want to research this? Just wrong.

• Like 2

Very interesting stuff, another milestone has been reached. Man, think about how this could be used. How ppl could possibly reach a new level of understanding. Or make criminals really understand what they have done by hooking up victims or something. Or people in a semi-vegetated state that could finally perhaps communicate again.

Ohhhh the possibilities.

Or the criminal could drive the victim insane - or make the vicitim just like he/she is... It works both ways...

Of course, I'm a guy who doesn't think I need to be 'connected' to the world 24/7 with status updates and stream of consciousness blogging/twittering/facebooking... Hell, I regret having to have a cell phone... Imagine being linked mind to mind... We hate each other enough now...

The technology has its pros and cons. Like a knife, a gun, you can't judge them with just a word.

But then again, a human has the voice and the ears for a reason, unless you want to become like this

alien.jpg

Big eyes, no ear, small mouth, slim body (because there are robots that serves them so no muscle development)

I read somehwere that grey aliens had a collective, hive mind. Well, the borg do too though. Also, what exactly would happen if you connected the minds of 100 idiots? I don't think that's such a great idea...

Although, it could be done for slapstick purposes. ^_^

Edited by WoIverine

what exactly would happen if you connected the minds of 100 idiots? I don't think that's such a great idea...

make sure they're all french, throw in a couple of tubes of superglue, and you'd have no trouble securing funding for that kinda experiment!

:-)

• Like 1

Pause a moment to ponder, we really are utterly alone in our existence. Our connections with other people are like ships passing in the night exchanging navigation signals. We really are not able to share ourselves with others; even those closest to ourselves, and we all have a private little life that we don't share at all.

Language is about all we have, and it is so imperfect and ambiguous and inadequate. Even those I know who share more than one language with me are only thereby able to improve communication in small ways.

amazing.

yeah, the borg was always us. But the borg, being an antagonist in a story, are the most negative representation of what that type of existence could be.

Whatever the case, I can't see the human race not developing some sort of telepathic communication at some point. It also seems to me probably necessary to any kind of deliberate evolution we're going to make.

I want an interface that allows me to create music with my mind by picking up on my auditory areas! because, when I imagine sounds, it's pretty realistic... much better than visual imagination. and then it's hours of wrestling with a midi sequencer to try and recreate the tones I imagined -_-

not saying the music would be actually be good. but, you know.

Edited by Ad hoc

Remember Jurassic Park:

Dr. Ian Malcolm ( Jeff Goldblum ):

"Yeah but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn't stop to think if they should."

Also you never know where things may lead:

16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

Revelation 13:16-17

I read somehwere that grey aliens had a collective, hive mind. Well, the borg do too though. Also, what exactly would happen if you connected the minds of 100 idiots? I don't think that's such a great idea...

You could be Yuri from C&C red alert.

Would make voting for a new president a lot easier. Hey who should be the new president searches everybody's minds,, ok that guy.

This one is a little more amazing.,.

Temporary tattoos could make electronic telepathy and telekinesis possible

Temporary electronic tattoos could soon help people fly drones with only thought and talk seemingly telepathically without speech over smartphones, researchers say. Electrical engineer Todd Coleman at the University of California at San Diego is devising noninvasive means of controlling machines via the mind, techniques virtually everyone might be able to use.

http://io9.com/5985558/temporary-tattoos-could-make-electronic-telepathy-and-telekinesis-possible