Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Fear Drive Kids' Paranormal Experiences?

Still Waters

Night terrors and bad dreams are common among young children, and a new study found that that some preschoolers who suffer from nighttime phobias have difficulty telling the difference between fantasy and reality.

Children are often said to be more sensitive, or “open,” to psychic and paranormal experiences. The idea is that there is wisdom in the ignorance and inexperience of youth and that adults rarely see entities or have such experiences because their minds have been closed off by logic and skepticism to the magic and wonder of the world.

http://news.discover...nces-130218.htm

• Like 1

I don't know about kids, but there's many, many adults who seem to be unable to differentiate between fantasy and reality in daily life!

• Like 2

I don't know about kids, but there's many, many adults who seem to be unable to differentiate between fantasy and reality in daily life!

Yep, and many of them are members of this website. lol

• Like 1

Let me assure you, ladies and gentlemen (and various self-proclaimed 'not specifieds'), nothing, but nothing could've been farther from my mind when I posted #2!

s12246.gif

• Like 1

I have seen a ghost and I have no problem with differentiating between fantasy and reality.

• Like 1

I love how people make blanket statements, I dont know whether a child that has nightmares or nightime phobias has anymore experiance with the paranormal, although I can tell you it doesnt hurt it. Kid are easier to see things now whether this is all in there imaginations or not is up to the parent to decide, although Ill also say that if a child comes up to you saying that hes seen something that scares them go and check it out. Dont just shrug it off telling them it was there imaginations go look into it if the kid is truly frightened.

• Like 1

I saw this article a while back but didn't post it because it just seemed so overly obvious to me that i couldn't see how anybody else wouldn't see this logicalness.

It's , how should i say, 'extremely DUH'.

• Like 1

"fantasy-realated confusion"

That says it all dosnt it? I know intimately about child hood experiences regarding these issues on several fronts. This is an example of severe bias creeping into "scientific" endevours. if we throw a little evolutionary psychology in there and half a brain of thought with actual critical thinking we might discover the real reason children experience night terrors. Seriously it was almost insulting reading that.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

I agree with this because many adults would go to sleep and dream fantastic things every night and have no clue of their reality ever. ^_^

I agree with this because many adults would go to sleep and dream fantastic things every night and have no clue of their reality ever. ^_^

But do they mix fantasy with reality, while being true to themselves?

But do they mix fantasy with reality, while being true to themselves?

I dont understand exactly what you're asking.

• Like 1

Got it kids fear problems that they haven't faced yet and try to find a way to make that that fear known and adults instead of fearing a problem they just deny that it exists. Well that explains a lot about life. :P

Well I've seen a few things in my years I can't explain, while I've been awake. Needless to say I try to keep a somewhat open mind to paranormal things. Perhaps the parents of the children who have issues telling reality from fantasy need to start educating their kids to the difference. I always asked my daughter if she thought something was real or not. If she did and it wasn't I explained it to her. I also didn't let her watch "kid shows" that that were too scary, though she loved and still does love the roadrunner abusing Wile E. Coyote. She understood that it wasn't real faster than some other stuff. Maybe it just depends on the kid's personality and environment. Maybe overly treating kids like kids is the issue. I hope it isn't hardwired in the brain.

I showed batman your post when he came round for tea, and he agreed with you....

:-)

though she loved and still does love the roadrunner abusing Wile E. Coyote.

best.

cartoon.

EVER.

• Like 1

I don't buy it.meaning the following:children honestly do see things That grown ups don't or can't.while in some cases it might be true it still doesn't Change the fact that they do.anyway children are more open minded and likely to experience and see things That adults can't become they are new,open minded,are imaginative and not poison by our society broken standards and etc.I know One thing though at the moment they are more likely to experience supernatural and paranormal events and etc not because they are gullible or have a over imagination guys.of course there are some things That are obviously false or fake but really you can't say that there are no such things as the supernatural and paranormal and etc.the world is not That simple guys and its definitely not in black or white meaning its more complex and mysterious than we think.

• Like 2

The stages of growth research has long adhered to the "magic" stage whereby events can be examined by magic. Additionally, we know the brain synthesizes imagery due to incomplete retina coverage but will also accomodate expectancy by manipulating imagery into known constructs. A good example is the Einsteins rotating hollow head: [media=]

[/media]

The very young have yet to "learn" what older children and adults have already "mastered" regarding interpreting imagery. So, perhaps, the very young are a bit more "open-minded" and open to suggestion and interpretation.

Edited by highdesert50
  • Like 1

Even if they think it's a bunch of baloney or not they seem to have an interest in it or no one would have signed up.

• Like 1

I think kids see real stuff. They are more specialer than grownies.

I dont understand why children should be more ignorant than adults to perceive more of what we call paranormal, I think (my intuition and experience says) it's the other way around, and that we adults lose our touch to that world. I used to have more lucid dreams and more faith in those things when I was a child. And I'm Batman btw so he couldn't have been at the tea with you... got proof. :alien:

I have a couple of grandkids that have experienced the "paranormal", and those experiences were in the company of one of their parents who saw the same thing. The kids weren't afraid, upset, or anxious during the occurrences, and they're healthy, happy, well-adjusted kids, maybe because we don't make a big deal out of it. The last thing we want to do is invalidate their experiences, instead we talk about it, encourage questions and critical thinking. I was an odd child growing up, I think, and it wasn't until well into adulthood that i decided to stop letting others invalidate me or my experiences on any level. We take power away from others when we do that, we sometimes teach children that they can't trust themselves, and that they must look outside themselves to find the "truth,", when IMHO our children ARE our truth-tellers. It takes years to learn how to lie effectively, and kids don't usually have the life experience to acquire that particular skill. They may not always understand what see. but as adults, it's our job to help them work their way through it.

• Like 2

this does not prove nothing to me not all the way.while this may be the case for some it does mean this is the case for all and does not mean that that this is the answer for all cases or the only answer.like I said before everybody is different and unique!!:)science is a baby and still in its early ages still so enough said.besides science is rigid and limited.its only useful in 3rd dimensional terms and the 3rd dimensional world!!!so think about carefully about the following saying and mentality science knows all the answers and science is the answer to everything.and especially this is one is my favorite if science can't explain it it does not exist and finally if scientists don't look into something such as the paranormal and etc and don't believe it why should I?if I were you I would really think of that carefully and get rid of That type of mentality people

• 2 weeks later...

I think its obvious that people who back the paranormal want the kids to "see things" those kids having minds that are still being molded. I believe this is actually a type of child abuse.

Even the test sounds like they are leading the child.

• Like 1

i have a strong grip of reality but it is nice to dream of things u wish were real