Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Caffeine is dangerous and should be regulated

Still Waters

How does one regulate booze or fast food let alone caffiene

Fat skank Michelle Obama has been trying to put taxes on junk food and soda for bit... has she looked in the mirror?

Fat skank Michelle Obama has been trying to put taxes on junk food and soda for bit... has she looked in the mirror?

Nope it will be a sin tax on smokes and booze as the majority won`t fight a tax on that so tax the smokers tax the drinkers and keep the majority happy. Includding the fat ****`s that truely raise the cost of healthcare. A 1% tax on junk food would work not an addition to an 80% tax on booze or smokes.

I can only speak with regards to my bad-ass anxiety disorder.

Caffeine, or any stimulant will "set-me-off", so I avoid them at all costs.

Funny thing is, I used to be a very heavy coffee drinker, but I can't do that now at all.

Beer calms me down. Thank God for beer! Strong beer that is... :passifier:

Holy schit we agree ;)

It's not hard to show that if you tax something you get less of it. Even consumption of something as addictive as cigarettes drops when taxes increase.

Another nice thing, from a politicians view, about taxing "sins" is that if produces revenue you can spend buying votes.

There are however drawbacks. First, such taxes tend to hurt the poor more than the rich -- both because such "sins" are often more engaged in by the poor and second because even if they consume them equally as a proportion of income the tax hits the poor harder.

A second drawback is that taxation creates black markets and more profit for criminals. A low level of taxes may not do that but set the level high enough to decrease use and black markets and smuggling begins.

So maybe enough taxes to help pay for costs on society the tax creates and to help pay for things like public education about the harms of it, but watch the black market closely and if activity begins then reduce the tax to remove the criminal profit.

A far better way to discourage "sins" is to nationalize their production, so that no one is profiting from it. This seems hard to do in countries where capitalism has been sanctified as holy religion, and capitalism generally is the best way to produce things, but not things that are harmful. There the profit motive of capitalism works against the public.

• Like 1

I use both stimulants when I'm feeling a little run down, depressants when I'm running too hot or sometimes both(coffee and whiskey) Take away both; oh boy, will I be causing some problems. Tax them though.... I'll just complain my butt off when I look at my atm balance..

Moderation is the key to everything

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

Most of us self-medicate our emotions all day long, to calm down and to stimulate us. It can be dangerous and a certain fear should always be on one shoulder.

Still, there is often too much of a puritanical attitude about "popping pills." Since I don't drink alcohol (liver), I don't have that calming mechanism, so I do use Valium, and it works, so long as you never use it to aid sleep and watch the daily dose carefully (actually I use it once or twice a week only). I also use Prozac as my "happiness pill" and that deals with minor depression, along with fresh-air exercise and meditation.

Coffee is the topic here, and we all use it and tea as stimulants. I generally prefer iced green tea, as Vietnam tends to be a warm place so it also helps with body heat. A couple cups of good strong black coffee in the morning though and of course some high-quality coffee after dinner are part of what makes for a good life if you can't have wine.

As you get older sleep becomes a critical issue, and discipline regarding sleep hygiene becomes more and more important -- mainly rising at the same time every day, holiday or not and getting exercise and learning relaxation techniques. Taking pills here is ill advised because none of them are free of bad effects (except perhaps Valerian -- a Chinese herb -- and melatonin, and the usefulness of these wears off quickly).

Oh no no no, I based on physical conditions not emotional or psychological. Self medicating based on emotional or psychological states is a bad idea, even to the ones who think they know what they are doing.

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

Holy schit we agree ;)

If you have an anxiety disorder, I'm very sorry to hear that. It can be a real b****.

Oh no no no, I based on physical conditions not emotional or psychological. Self medicating based on emotional or psychological states is a bad idea, even to the ones who think they know what they are doing.

Perhaps, and I don't disagree, but without any quick-acting medication at all one is only left with the avenue of self-medication.

Just the way it is.

The beer in my hand right now is a strong reducer of my anxiety, within 15-20 minutes. Just sayin for me.

Edited by pallidin

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps the dangers for some are too great, and one must work with professionals, but the tools available to modern medicine make it unnecessary for many of us to have the emotional suffering that we use to have. It's like the pills I take for hay fever -- overdoing them is just as dangerous but use balance and moderation and one has a far better life.
  • Like 1

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps the dangers for some are too great, and one must work with professionals, but the tools available to modern medicine make it unnecessary for many of us to have the emotional suffering that we use to have. It's like the pills I take for hay fever -- overdoing them is just as dangerous but use balance and moderation and one has a far better life.

Besides the psychotrophic drugs(which DOES include self-administered alcohol, BTW) I'm really not sure how much of a "grip" or "desire" to deal with such issue's exists in the mainstream medical community."Give them SSRI's, is what I often hear"

I have a good doctor now, but in the past I was "thrown out into the wind", for many, many years.

• Like 1

Perhaps, and I don't disagree, but without any quick-acting medication at all one is only left with the avenue of self-medication.

Just the way it is.

The beer in my hand right now is a strong reducer of my anxiety, within 15-20 minutes. Just sayin for me.

When I mean by know. is assumed knowledge based on information from an outside source. Like a person reading from a textbook.. Who put way to much faith in it. The problem of over complicating things.

Would you take that beer in your hand while your at work or behind the wheel?(I highly doubt you do, you are not an idiot)

Some people just jump to far with things like I just did with my language.

If that is the case you actually have a really good doctor and open-minded doctor. Which also means you are not self-medicating.

Hay fever is a physical symptom. Not a bad thing to self-medicate. Now if you tried to self-medicate without conversing with somebody for a state of mind, I would direct you to get help.

Emotional and psychological problems have a bigger problem with blind sight then the physical. So conversing and discussion your options with a doctor should always be done; if you think there is. (a problem)

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

When I mean by know. is assumed knowledge based on information from an outside source. Like a person reading from a textbook.. Who put way to much faith in it. The problem of over complicating things.

Would you take that beer in your hand while your at work or behind the wheel?(I highly doubt you do, you are not an idiot)

Some people just jump to far with things like I just did with my language. Self-medicating is what I see to be an all the time permanent use of a chemical to completely change your mind state. Changing a normal person like you, in to an addict out of their own free-will.

Be advised that some people, such as myself, have a verified clinical illness. It just not simple some times, I guess.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong. I hate every aspect of it.

Edited by pallidin

Be advised that some people, such as myself, have a verified clinical illness. It just not simple some times, I guess.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong. I hate every aspect of it.

Yeah sorry about the botched quote; I talk as a type then post then edit(I'm weird like that). Then people post and it gets all screwed up.

Like you conversing with a doctor then using beer to help deal is a good thing. That is not self-medicating.

I can imagine that you hate it; because I would as well. Your definitely right that it's not simple; even the "easiest thing to figure out" can turn really really bad. oh and I wasn't judging you on anxiety and beer. Most people won't; so it's something you really shouldn't worry about :P

Last thing I want to do is judge somebody based on a quick assumption. Though if you said, I take LSD, for my anxiety I may have started asking some more direction questions about your doctor.

Very glad, you both said something, and gave me a reason to laugh at and explain myself, instead of walking away mad.

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

You want to hear STUPID, the state of OREGON is considering making cigarettes a scheduled drug and regulated by prescription only. I don't smoke but isn't this a little Overboard!!! Good thing I don't live there anymore. If You want to smoke that's your business, not the states.

Edited by ancient astronaut