Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Figure in South Dakota

RebelInsanity

Okay, so I live in Spearfish, South Dakota with my fiance.

Everyday when he works, (he works at a restaurant) I sit next to the window at his work and write on my laptop.

Across the street from the restaurant is the main highway, and right across the highway is a large cliff side/set of hills. I will usually look off into the cliff/hillside and space out, usually to think to myself and gain inspiration for my writing. A few weeks ago, after the snow was melted to the point where I could see only the red soil and dry grass covering a majority of the hill, I took a pause from my writing and looked out the window.

That's when I saw something moving. On two legs.

Only, it wasn't walking... More like, gliding.

In the time it would take four or five cars to pass the main street, this thing had cleared almost the entire hillside, and started disappearing into view.

Whatever it was, wasn't in the shape of any human I've ever seen.

It was some sort of huge figure/creature, pitch black from head to toe, its body was textured like it had fur, and probably about 8-9 feet tall.

When I first saw how fast it was moving, before I thoroughly observed it, I thought it was, maybe, someone riding a horse. Since it was bipedal, I thought it was someone on a horse, but something was obstructing the horse from underneath the person, like a hill in the way to where I couldn't see it.

But it couldn't have been that because I noticed it was moving both of its legs.

I didn't believe what I was seeing at first. I didn't know what to do or say. I was left completely speechless.

I sat there and tried to come up with every logical explanation I could think of as to what it could have been without jumping to conclusions on what it could be, and I couldn't figure it out.

I looked around the restaurant several times to see if anyone else noticed this thing like I did, and no one was paying any attention, so I tried to take a video with my phone. The zoom on the video camera function could only go so far without distorting the footage, and decided it wasn't even worth it.

I was at a lost for words, and evidence, but I could swear to you, that was one of the craziest, and most unexplained things, I could say I have seen.

If this was some sort of bigfoot, how could it have seemed to be gliding over the hillside?

It looked like it was walking, but it moved as if it had been sprinting.

I still don't get it.

I may have an active imagination at times, I will admit, but this literally freaked me out.

Anyone have any explanation as to what it was? Or what it could have been?

I'll try to get pictures of the mountains tomorrow so I can give you guys an idea as to how fast it traveled and in what direction it was going and whatnot. My internet isn't really working with Google Street view, so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

Edited by little.wolf96
  • Like 3

One of those pantomime horses with the two guys inside, rushing to the theatre? No?

p.s. How can you disappear into view? Was that just a typo?

Okay, so I live in Spearfish, South Dakota with my fiance.

Everyday when he works, (he works at a restaurant) I sit next to the window at his work and write on my laptop.

Across the street from the restaurant is the main highway, and right across the highway is a large cliff side/set of hills. I will usually look off into the cliff/hillside and space out, usually to think to myself and gain inspiration for my writing. A few weeks ago, after the snow was melted to the point where I could see only the red soil and dry grass covering a majority of the hill, I took a pause from my writing and looked out the window.

That's when I saw something moving. On two legs.

Only, it wasn't walking... More like, gliding.

In the time it would take four or five cars to pass the main street, this thing had cleared almost the entire hillside, and started disappearing into view.

Whatever it was, wasn't in the shape of any human I've ever seen.

It was some sort of huge figure/creature, pitch black from head to toe, its body was textured like it had fur, and probably about 8-9 feet tall.

When I first saw how fast it was moving, before I thoroughly observed it, I thought it was, maybe, someone riding a horse. Since it was bipedal, I thought it was someone on a horse, but something was obstructing the horse from underneath the person, like a hill in the way to where I couldn't see it.

But it couldn't have been that because I noticed it was moving both of its legs.

I didn't believe what I was seeing at first. I didn't know what to do or say. I was left completely speechless.

I sat there and tried to come up with every logical explanation I could think of as to what it could have been without jumping to conclusions on what it could be, and I couldn't figure it out.

I looked around the restaurant several times to see if anyone else noticed this thing like I did, and no one was paying any attention, so I tried to take a video with my phone. The zoom on the video camera function could only go so far without distorting the footage, and decided it wasn't even worth it.

I was at a lost for words, and evidence, but I could swear to you, that was one of the craziest, and most unexplained things, I could say I have seen.

If this was some sort of bigfoot, how could it have seemed to be gliding over the hillside?

It looked like it was walking, but it moved as if it had been sprinting.

I still don't get it.

I may have an active imagination at times, I will admit, but this literally freaked me out.

Anyone have any explanation as to what it was? Or what it could have been?

I'll try to get pictures of the mountains tomorrow so I can give you guys an idea as to how fast it traveled and in what direction it was going and whatnot. My internet isn't really working with Google Street view, so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks for sharing. I'm adding this to the Two Legged Dogman Experiences Database.
  • Like 1

Nice story could you maybe get some video footage of this it might help better then just photos. :tu:

• Like 1

One of those pantomime horses with the two guys inside, rushing to the theatre? No?

p.s. How can you disappear into view? Was that just a typo?

lol Just noticed that. Sorry. IT disappeared. Not me. xD

And what do you mean?

• Like 1

Nice story could you maybe get some video footage of this it might help better then just photos. :tu:

Thanks. And, yes that would be better.

• Like 1

lol Just noticed that. Sorry. IT disappeared. Not me. xD

And what do you mean?

I was only teasing. :) (forgive me?)

I was only teasing. :) (forgive me?)

Yes. lol

• Like 1

Good story. To bad you weren't able to take video, or a picture. Something to back it up.

But I'm a bit confused when you say it looked like it was gliding, but in the next paragraph you say it was moving both its legs? When it was moving both of its legs it looked like it was gliding?

Edited by mike72
  • Like 1

Good story. To bad you weren't able to take video, or a picture. Something to back it up.

But I'm a bit confused when you say it looked like it was gliding, but in the next paragraph you say it was moving both its legs? When it was moving both of its legs it looked like it was gliding?

Maybe it was walking but in a very smooth and steady fashion?

• Like 1

Trust me. I still regret not getting evidence.

I can see the confusion, and it confuses me too.

It was almost like, a reversed moonwalk.

This figure was moving its lets like it was walking, but with each step it took, its like it slid across the soil.

It was the weirdest thing, and I still can't understand how it worked like that, but it did.

That's why I don't know if it was Bigfoot, or something else.

Edited by little.wolf96
  • Like 1

I have seen animals apear to move like that when watching from a distance. Also go back and sit at the window and look directly behind you. There is a possibility what you witnessed was actually a reflection of something else superimposed upon the landscape.

I swore I saw a fantastic UFO once while driving, then I saw it again and realized it was my toddlers light up you reflecting in the glass from the backseat.

• Like 1

High little.wolf96 sounds like a good mystry anyway you mention snow it maybe some-one on skis. ? :unsure2:

• Like 1

I have seen animals apear to move like that when watching from a distance. Also go back and sit at the window and look directly behind you. There is a possibility what you witnessed was actually a reflection of something else superimposed upon the landscape.

I swore I saw a fantastic UFO once while driving, then I saw it again and realized it was my toddlers light up you reflecting in the glass from the backseat.

Oh one more thing years ago... I saw this kid gliding through the parking lot. Then she stopped and walked. It bugged me for months, then I discovered there was something new called heeles.

Oh one more thing years ago... I saw this kid gliding through the parking lot. Then she stopped and walked. It bugged me for months, then I discovered there was something new called heeles.

• Like 1

High little.wolf96 sounds like a good mystry anyway you mention snow it maybe some-one on skis. ? :unsure2:

There was snow on the ground, but not enough to ski. As I said, it was melted to where I could see the dead grass and soil underneath, covering most of the hillside. So it was definitely NOT a person on skis.

I used to have Heelys, and it does make sense, but Heelys don't work on the ground. They only work on cement.

Plus, I don't think they make Heelys big enough for a person of this size.

little.wolf96

I witnessed a Bigfoot creature from 75 feet away while metal detecting with two FBI Agents back in 1995. That creature moved in a fast but fluid motion and it seemed like it was gliding or flowing. I'm thinking you witnessed one of these creatures. They have been spotted running up hillsides and other difficult areas. It would have been a good idea to go to that site and look for tracks. I think that whatever the creature was, it knows the area well and has done the same thing in the past and will do it again!

little.wolf96

I witnessed a Bigfoot creature from 75 feet away while metal detecting with two FBI Agents back in 1995. That creature moved in a fast but fluid motion and it seemed like it was gliding or flowing. I'm thinking you witnessed one of these creatures. They have been spotted running up hillsides and other difficult areas. It would have been a good idea to go to that site and look for tracks. I think that whatever the creature was, it knows the area well and has done the same thing in the past and will do it again!

I will definitely try!

That area is blocked off, but I will!

If not, I will definitely keep an eye out.

• Like 1

So everyday you just sit at your fiance's work, and they don't have a problem with that?

Edited by supervike

So everyday you just sit at your fiance's work, and they don't have a problem with that?

Nope.

Been doing it for awhile now, and all I've done by sitting there is made friends with people at the business.

• Like 1