Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Book Suggests Return from Death Possible

mischamoonlight

Dr. Sam Parnia, a critical care doctor and the director of resuscitation research at Stony Brook University School of Medicine, has written a new book discussing ways in which people can be resuscitated after they previously would have been considered clinically dead.

Parnia’s book, “Erasing Death: The Science That is Rewriting the Boundaries Between Life and Death,” was recently featured on the Today show. “The advances in the last 10 years have shown us that it’s only after a person dies that they turn into a corpse, that their brain cells start to die,’’ Parnia told host Savannah Guthrie.

http://news.discover...sible-13022.htm

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text
  • Like 1

"The advances in the last 10 years have shown us that it's only after a person dies that they turn into a corpse, that their brain cells start to die,'' Parnia told host Savannah Guthrie.

Surely that fact has been known for a very long time. Or am I missing something? (That wouldn't be unusual... lol)

• Like 2

“The advances in the last 10 years have shown us that it’s only after a person dies that they turn into a corpse, that their brain cells start to die,"

This guys a doctor?... Geez... a 10 year old could tell them that... :unsure2:

Seriously though medical science is getting to the point where many people are up and walking around who would have been written off just a few years ago...

edit: beat me to it El...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

I think that the idea is that it might be possible to resuscitate someone for quite some time after all life signs have disappeared.

• Like 1

anybody tries this on simon cowell after he dies, and i'll shoot them myself!

• Like 4

"but identifying that exact moment of "death" is difficult or impossible."

I have known this fact for years, one of my relatives died for a day and the next day he suddenly just came back to life.

Moreover such stories always make headlines, so I know many of them.

The sad part is that I feel that in many cultures like in Hindu culture in India, they burn the supposedly dead people just the next day, what this does is it diminishes any chances of survival of people who may actually were not really dead.

"Despite modern technology, the point of death in humans and other animals remains elusive."

Does this mean that we are burying people who maybe are alive ? I always thought that we should give that person at least a few days to come back to conscious life ?

I know brain damage would start soon but then also I have seen a case where a man came back to conscious life in a few days with his language sector of brain damaged, and he lived.

Edited by Twinkle Arora is back

I have always understood that 4 minutes after clinical death the brain becomes so much damaged, due to lack of oxygen, that if revival were successful the person would be seriously mentally impaired. So what's all this talk about 8 hours?

I remember reading in a biography of George Washington that being buried alive that way was a real fear in colonial times and that Washington made special terms in his will about this to be really sure he was dead before they buried him.

I also recall reading that this may have been one of the sources of vampire myths -- people trying to dig themselves out of shallow graves in Eastern Europe scaring the locals.

• Like 1

the speed of `death diagnosis` is directly proportional to the amount of people on earth .

Im sure scientists already knew about these things for many decades, so why cant they use it right now on humans. The russians did a successful revival of a headless dog in the 1940s. If it helps the human society why not just use it, rather than keep bragging they can do this, they can do that, but still nothing happens.

• Like 1

I have always understood that 4 minutes after clinical death the brain becomes so much damaged, due to lack of oxygen, that if revival were successful the person would be seriously mentally impaired. So what's all this talk about 8 hours?

It is a interesting point! I don't see any good reasons bringing back to life a human if there brain will be in a "zombi mode".

It will be just a living corp....or science is also wrong about 4-5 min deadline.

But If stem cells science improves and can repair the brain cells, then the deadline will be truly 8 hours or more.

that's awesome and great news.also its very helpful to bring back family members and etc that have their life ahead of themselves and bring back those who are hurt and etc by others.also it brings back people and even animals pets back to life.i actually like this idea at the moment i have no rejections.

death is a doorway to a new beginning

• Like 1

Waking up in a coffin must be worse than dying. :wacko:

I remember reading in a biography of George Washington that being buried alive that way was a real fear in colonial times and that Washington made special terms in his will about this to be really sure he was dead before they buried him.

I also recall reading that this may have been one of the sources of vampire myths -- people trying to dig themselves out of shallow graves in Eastern Europe scaring the locals.

People used to be buried with bells that were connected through rope to the inside of a coffin, so that if someone woke up then they could ring the bells. That would be one of the scariest things I can imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_coffin