Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Florida man swallowed by sinkhole

seeder

Some poor man sleeping in bed, when the bedroom disappeared down a sinkhole...

"A man was missing early Friday after a large sinkhole opened under the bedroom of a house near Tampa and his brother says the man screamed for help before he disappeared".

The 36-year-old man's brother told rescue crews he heard a loud crash around 11 p.m. Thursday, then heard his brother screaming for help.

"When he got there, there was no bedroom left," Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Jessica Damico said. "There was no furniture. All he saw was a piece of the mattress sticking up."

The brother called 911 and frantically tried to help his brother. An arriving deputy pulled the brother from the still-collapsing house.

http://www.ajc.com/news/ap/us/tampa-area-man-swallowed-by-sinkhole/nWdSP/

I heard about this on my radio station. I hope the poor man is okay. ;.;

• Like 2

I heard about this on my radio station. I hope the poor man is okay. ;.;

Another source I read basically says its is not looking good for the man

"Rescue teams, unable to get into the still unstable structure in Seffner, Fla., have lowered a microphone and video equipment into the hole but have not heard from the 36-year-old man"

http://www.freep.com/article/20130301/NEWS07/130301025/Tampa-area-man-swallowed-by-sinkhole

• Like 1

I read this happens often in Florida. Hope the man isn't dead but its not looking good for him.

• Like 1

Wow! I almost moved to Tampa.

They told me they never got a serious huricane in the area. Since then (1999) they've had four and the guy they hired instead of me was killed by an aligator! Now this!

Doug

• Like 2

This is terrible, sounds like a scene from a horror movie

From the article:

Officials and engineers are searching an unstable area of land after a sinkhole enveloped a Florida man’s bedroom in the middle of the night, sucking him down into the earth.

The man has not been heard from since the 20-foot-deep by 20-foot-wide hole opened underneath the Bush family’s Hillsborough County home late Thursday night, sending part of the house plummeting but leaving the exterior remarkably intact.

“They heard a sound they described as a car crash emanating from the bedroom,” Hillsborough County Fire Chief Ron Rogers said at a Friday morning news conference. “They rushed in. All they could see was part of a mattress sticking out of the hole. The floor ofthe room had opened.” At that point, one of the Bush family members jumped into the hole to try to rescue his brother, who the family could hear – but not see – in the sinkhole, Rogers said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/01/17145165-sinkhole-sucks-florida-man-from-his-bedroom-into-the-earth?lite

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

That's insane... So horrible.

You forgot to psot the link to the article. :P

Edited by Coffey

That's insane... So horrible.

You forgot to psot the link to the article. :P

My bad. It's up now
  • Like 1

Does anyone here play or played Gears of war? We know what really caused this and what's coming... lol

My bad. It's up now

Thank you. :tu:

lol yeah i play gears if that big ass worm is back for realy i want some thing bigger then just my lancer lol

I recently read about this. What a horrible event. :unsure2:

Can't even imagine the grief of the victim(presumed dead), family members and rescue personel unable to safely reach him, due to the currently expanding sinkhole, making rescue/retrival extemely dangerous as the house is collapsing.

I actually shed a tear when reading this elswhere.(CNN I think)

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Holy dirt claudes! The earth is trying to pull each one of us into a early grave by eating us alive! Quick!! Somebody invent anti-gravity boots!

It's a like a horror movie. You are sleeping in your bed and then the earth swallows you whole. :o

This is horrible! That just made it to my top scariest ways of dying...being swallowed by the earth while sleeping in the most safest place you think there is.

This is rather horrific and indeed like straight out of a horror movie.

I bet when (I presume) he envisioned himself dying in his own bed asleep it was of old age and peacefully. :no:

omg this is incredible. i didn't realize that florida was such an unstable landmass

omg this is incredible. i didn't realize that florida was such an unstable landmass

Vice did a documentary on this. It's because they are taking water from underground. Everyone in Florida has their sprinklers on all the time and have pools. There is little to no water conservation and the people of Florida are paying for it with these sink holes.

Update -

Demolition work has begun at the home of a man presumed dead after he was swallowed up by a sinkhole in Florida.

Rescuers have ended efforts to recover the body of Jeffrey Bush, 36, whose bedroom was engulfed by the 6m (20ft) hole as he slept on Thursday night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21648769