Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

100 foot wide sinkholes

Baileyx12

Today's internet CNN has a great deal of info on that.

And I'm sure if you just Google what causes sinkholes, you will get even more info.

But surely it can't be natural? I mean there wasn't any before now, nothing major, look at that poor man who fell down one inside his own home!

• Natural sinkholes are formed when sub-surface rock dissolves to create underground cavities. They are most often found where the rock below the land surface is limestone, dolomite, carbonate rock, salt beds, or rocks that can be naturally dissolved by circulating groundwater. In the U.S., natural sinkholes are most common in Florida where karst (limestone) geography is an ingrained part of the landscape. Other states where natural sinkholes are likely to be found are Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and Pennsylvania. Natural sinkholes often form following a period of heavy or prolonged rain. They may also form following a period of drought, which can lower the water table and expose cavities.

• Human-induced sinkholes are consequences of land-use practices, especially water-pumping and construction. Other types of human-induced sinkholes result from:
    • abandoned septic tanks. Even as communities modernize and switch from septic to sewer systems, the old septic tanks may remain in place. The concrete cover may eventually crack and break down, allowing the earth above to drop suddenly, especially beneath the weight of a person. In one week in 2004, two such incidents occurred in New Jersey and in Texas, claiming the lives of a 2-year-old girl and a 92-year-old woman. Check with the local zoning office, which should know whether the house was built before sewer lines came into the neighborhood, which would indicate the possible presence of an abandoned septic tank;
    • decaying, buried organic material, such as tree roots or trash. In 1993, a 7-year-old New Jersey boy fell to his death in his front yard after the ground beneath him gave way. A vein of tree debris, which had been dumped there many years before, had formed air pockets into which the soil gradually seeped, leaving a weakened surface that appeared solid;
    • collapsed mines;
    • over-pumping existing water supply wells, or drilling additional wells in close proximity, thereby lowering the aquifer; and
    • the period following housing development, which adds pressure to the supporting earth.

- See more at: http://www.nachi.org...h.Maar3153.dpuf

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

It just doesn't make sense how there's no warning or anything :-/

Oh, there's a natural warning for sure as the ground collapses, but likely only seconds or minutes.

• Like 1

But surely it can't be natural?

Not natural??....you think it's a conspiracy?

I mean there wasn't any before now, nothing major, look at that poor man who fell down one inside his own home!

Of course they have happened before.>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkhole

If you thought a bedroom sinkhole was bad, have a look at these>>

*snip*

EDIT: I see that freetoroam posted info before me...anyway

Edited by Saru
Images removed due to copyright
  • Like 3

It just doesn't make sense how there's no warning or anything :-/

For natural sink holes there is not necessarily going to be a warning, but movement in the earth is not unusual. But remember that there was in fact some form of warning in this case, the warning is the soil they built on, the area is lime, there are caves they also knew about, but like in many situations similar to this, the property developers do not care, they want to build and if someone gives them the go ahead, they will build...then sell.

When we had the floods here in England a few months back, the whole ground came away under a block of flats, the flats were left standing because of the steel pillars holding it up, the whole block has to be demolished. All this could have been avoided, but they wanted to build those flats, so they did.

But we can not just blame the property developers, the surveyors have to be held accountable.

• Like 3

But we can not just blame the property developers, the surveyors have to be held accountable.

Oooo... I like that. Makes perfect sense to me.

How far down do you think they go? It's stuff nightmares are made off :(

Sinkholes can vary from a few feet to hundreds of acres and from less than 1 to more than 100 feet deep.

Can I just ask you were you live, not an exact address! I would not worry if I were you, they are not a daily occurrence.

Yeah, have you seen the hole in the ocean? thats huge. yeah I wouldn't worry unless you live an area where sink holes happen

Even if there hasn't been an occurrence in the past it doesn't mean there can't be one in the future. We are all pumping the aquifers down then there's the oil that gets pumped out of the ground, mines. There is a town in my state that is built on top of old mines. One of these days it will go.