Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

feel like im living in the dark ages

NocturnalWatcher

anyone else ever feel like were living in the dark ages? i know life today is better than it was 100 years ago, but its still not good. they say life is what you make it, well tell that to the poor children who will never have a chance to make something of themselves because of poverty.

i was lucky enough to be born in a first wrld country with access to education and the possibility of a happy successful future but not everyone can say that.

i often think of the world in its current state and where we are heading in the future. i feel like ive been thrown into decaying pit with no chance of making a difference. i feel like i see the world for what it truely is as where most people only see what they want to see. i dont consder myself to be anyone special, just a normal person of average intellegence but i think its my open mind that allows me tohave a better understanding than some.

because of the way our civilization works, politics currency etc.. mixed with the greed of man, it almost seems like change is impossible. how can we move forward when we have so many barriers blocking our path?

i often wonder why nobody cares. why do we let the suffering continue, we do we squabble over petty affairs. why dont we go to africa and these other struggling nations and help them. because we cant, because of how the world operates. to help in todays world requires money, money nations dont have to help others when they struggle to help themselves. when will mankind come ti the realization that our current political structures do not work and need to be remodelled.

we have fragmented and distanced ourselves from one another due to religion, political differences and land disputes. we need to sop working against each other and start working with each other with the goal of improving the quality of life for everyone.

• Like 4

It does appear we live in a bit of feudal world.

• Like 1

I agree with all you say there. It will never change because the ones who seek power and make the effort to attain it are bad people.

• Like 1

for those lucky enough to be born in a 1st world country, how good is your life really? not everyone has the intellegence, education or money to live comfortably or own their own business. those who ar less privalaged are forced to work dead end jobs their entire lives 40hrs+ a week just to pay for a place to live. is a house really worth 1/3rd of your life? do you think thats how life should be? should the more intellegent be rewarded while the less intellegent have to suffer? because of something they hae no control over, the brain they were born with?

i feel like many of us are slaves and dont even realize it, because weve been taught this is how life is suppose to be, so we accept it.

i just think of a better world. no pollution. no chemicals in our food and water. no poverty, people helping people. a world where 1 / 3rd of the population desnt get cancer. a world where we are free to pursue our interests, a world where education is free for everyone.

• Like 1

Again, all you say is true, but it ain't gonna change any time soon :(:cry:

Oh dearie me how bad things are.

I lived through a couple wars, surviving on carrots and cassava. Most of my brothers and sisters died in the fighting and from other things related to it. I think the only reason I'm alive is 'cause even then I knew a couple languages and was more useful that way than as a jungle rat.

I don't want to talk much about my experiences; the only thing I want to do it to get people to have a little perspective. Things really are better and steadily improving all the time.

• Like 5

i often wonder why nobody cares. why do we let the suffering continue, we do we squabble over petty affairs. why dont we go to africa and these other struggling nations and help them. because we cant, because of how the world operates. to help in todays world requires money, money nations dont have to help others when they struggle to help themselves. when will mankind come ti the realization that our current political structures do not work and need to be remodelled. life for everyone.

Well, you can start by Stop sending aid to Africa.

[media=]

[/media]

I feel we should help these struggling countries by educating them to help themselves which we are doing but on a small scale.

• Like 1

Oh dearie me how bad things are.

I lived through a couple wars, surviving on carrots and cassava. Most of my brothers and sisters died in the fighting and from other things related to it. I think the only reason I'm alive is 'cause even then I knew a couple languages and was more useful that way than as a jungle rat.

I don't want to talk much about my experiences; the only thing I want to do it to get people to have a little perspective. Things really are better and steadily improving all the time.

By implication you are saying that as long as people are not living in a war zone then they should be happy and content, and accept uncomplainingly whatever life hands them(and their friends and families). Things are better for you now compared to what you have previously experienced, but that is your experience. Others have miserable, pointless lives from the 'cradle to the grave' even though they don't experience war at first hand, poverty may force them to exist on appalling diets and they may be chronically ill all their lives and lose family members because of it. They may live in hideous conditions. Life is no longer just about having a roof over your head and not starving ...... if that's all he has, modern man feels life is not worth living.

Also, it is now virtually impossible to ignore the plight of billions of people all around the world, so even if your own life is okay it's difficult at times not to feel soul-weary that the world cannot be ordered more equally.

While we are technically advanced, in most other ways fear, superstition and hatred animate many human interactions. Yes, not much different than the Dark Ages. Most of us are able to bathe every day, but if we could not it would be the Dark Ages all over again.

We spend more money on prisons than on schools. Government tortures and assassinates with impugnity. People are imprisoned for exposing government crimes.

As MLK put it, our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missles and unguided men.

• Like 6

It does appear we live in a bit of feudal world.

Yep...I can see where one would think that way. In the feudal system, the lords and elite owned the land and allowed the lower class workers to retain the land as long as they could pay their taxes...which back then was either money or a percentage of the reaping from the land.

Fast forward to today, you still do not "own" the land even though you have a deed that says you do. If you do not pay your "taxes" they Gov will boot you off your land and either keep it or sell it off to the highest bidder who then must pay the taxes. Basically, no matter what you do or how you look at things, you are only "renting" the land, you actually never own it as long as a payment of some form is required to retain it. Miss a payment or two and you are out on your duff.

It's not our job to "fix" the world - we should only be worried about people in our own countries. Once our own countries are as close to utopia as possible, then, and only then should we be helping other countries imho.

• Like 1

It's not our job to "fix" the world - we should only be worried about people in our own countries. Once our own countries are as close to utopia as possible, then, and only then should we be helping other countries imho.

Keeping in mind that Utopia, or anything near it, is not possible. :innocent:

Keeping in mind that Utopia, or anything near it, is not possible. :innocent:

even more reason to spend the money at home and not waste it in foreign affairs.

• Like 2

even more reason to spend the money at home and not waste it in foreign affairs.

Disaster relief included?

Is just in the last few months I've felt like we're in dark ages.. Lot's has happened in my life to promote this, but I kind of feel that humanity is missing the point of being here in the first place.. Emotionally we're feeding outselves in the hope we'll feel better, but this hunger is unsatisfied because spiritually we're starving..

That's just my opinion anyway..

Great Topic btw.

• Like 1

I don't believe we ever really left the dark ages. We are so used to our own nature, that we really can't see the problems it causes until we get put in the right situations. The only way to deal with the problem of people is to deal with people. If we don't then all we can do is just wait until it catches up to us to bite us on the rear.

• Like 2

I don't feel like I'm living in the dark ages. I don't see how anyone living in a modern, Western society could feel that way. However, there are many other countries that are truly living in the dark ages. Ripped from today's headlines;

Saudi Arabia Postpones Mass Execution, Crucifixion

Yep, wealthy non-western nations routinely chop off hands, stone people, crucify them, burn them as witches, cannibalize Pygmies, and shoot any woman/girl who has the affront to offer modern education.

And these governments are our allies? :unsure2:

• Like 1