Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is the bible not to be questioned?

SpiritWriter

I appreciate where you are, I think. You know one possible drawback of that view is that it depersonalizes God -- it turns into something automatic or even mechanistic. Taoism is accused of this sometimes. Do we need to think of God as a person? What are the consequences if we don't -- it seems to me perhaps even further alienation.

Who am I to say: I doubt there is any such thing anyway.

All that is, to me, is a change of wording to make it seem nicer and more reasonable.

The trouble with that is that much of the bible has led to rage violence, discontentment and imbalance... but the christians still want to keep it as if it's the best thing ever despite that. Why?

The whole thing makes absoutely no sense. Let's say the universe was made by a creator god. Well the universe is, first and foremost, huge. Secondly it is old. We are a tiny race on a tiny planet orbiting one star among billions in a galaxy among billions. So we are (in terms of creation) extremely small and insigificant. The universe is also much older than our ancestors. So why, why, does the creator of entire universe care about us at all?

I understand it in ancient civilisations, ones that didn't know all of that, but I dont understand why god would care about us (as a species or individually). The idea that someting that created the universe cares one jot about us just sounds insane.

Not to me, I think its beautiful that dispite our size compared to the vast universe God cares for us and also how much power we as individuals have to be transformed and have influence on the world. I really think its a matter of perception, if we value ourselves we can see how god values us, or... if we believe god values us we can begin to value ourselves. It is easy for me to see this because of the amazing ways god has shown me different things, protected me and provided for me all these years. I know its not the same for everyone but because of my circumstances I have been able to benefit from acknowledging god. :) and I'm greatful for that.

The religions are going to become insufferable if it turns out we are alone in the galaxy.

I appreciate where you are, I think. You know one possible drawback of that view is that it depersonalizes God -- it turns into something automatic or even mechanistic. Taoism is accused of this sometimes. Do we need to think of God as a person? What are the consequences if we don't -- it seems to me perhaps even further alienation.

Who am I to say: I doubt there is any such thing anyway.

I think perhaps that's what the essence of Jesus' message was; that, if people followed his message, they'd learn how to personally feel the presence of the Spirit, since the Spirit was all around. it's not so much a remote, automatic system that keeps the universe functioning, it's an intelligence that you can have personal contact with- not as in talking one to one with a person, although perhaps some of the Prophets and mystics did do that, but feeling the presence of something greater than you, that makes you feel that you're part of the whole greater creation - I think that's what he meant by what those who put the dogma of Christianity together referred to as "salvation"; not meaning "saved" as in saved from falling off a cliff, but being made whole again, put back into your place as part of the universe.

• Like 3

Not to me, I think its beautiful that dispite our size compared to the vast universe God cares for us and also how much power we as individuals have to be transformed and have influence on the world. I really think its a matter of perception, if we value ourselves we can see how god values us, or... if we believe god values us we can begin to value ourselves. It is easy for me to see this because of the amazing ways god has shown me different things, protected me and provided for me all these years. I know its not the same for everyone but because of my circumstances I have been able to benefit from acknowledging god. :) and I'm greatful for that.

Thats very nice and touching, now if you could tell this to the likes of those I have put links to, the world would be an ideal place.

SORRY, the negatives are NOT to be questioned here. Will not mention it again.

If you read in the bible, (Genesis 18:16-33) Abraham questioned God about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah

and if their were righteous people living there, would God still destroy the cities. And God replied he wouldn't destroy

the cities. And God answered his questions without anger.

I don't see us questioning God any different then a small child asking his/her parents questions. We ask questions to learn.

• Like 3

The problem with that is that the bible exists and that places great value on just doing as you're told and to place extremely little value on yourself.

Why do we need god to matter?

I don't see god caring about us in any rekigion. God seems more interested in caring for itself and getting us to do as we're told and, basically, be good little thoughtless sheep.

I don't think the... whatever you encountered is the same thing as the christian god.

If you read in the bible, (Genesis 18:16-33) Abraham questioned God about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah

and if their were righteous people living there, would God still destroy the cities. And God replied he wouldn't destroy

the cities. And God answered his questions without anger.

I don't see us questioning God any different then a small child asking his/her parents questions. We ask questions to learn.

The problem with that example is there'd have been children in those cities and yet that didn't stop him from destroying them because it suited him

• Like 1

The problem with that is that the bible exists and that places great value on just doing as you're told and to place extremely little value on yourself.

Why do we need god to matter?

I don't see god caring about us in any rekigion. God seems more interested in caring for itself and getting us to do as we're told and, basically, be good little thoughtless sheep.

I don't think the... whatever you encountered is the same thing as the christian god.

The christian god is the One God, and that is the one I believe. Your bringing up points I agree with and is the very reason for this thread.. I dont think it was meant for us to be mindless sheep at all but to experience the Mind of God, and experiencing that we may find 'religion'. But my point is exactly like youve stated.

**** quote: The problem with that is that the bible exists and that places great value on just doing as you're told and to place extremely little value on yourself.****

The problem with that example is there'd have been children in those cities and yet that didn't stop him from destroying them because it suited him

To be quite honest with you, I think the bible is embellished. It's like a Hollywood Movie. If a movie is made based on a true story, there is some fiction

added to it to give it more character and draw an audience. If it was made in it's originality, it would be boring. (hence reality tv shows).

• Like 1

I believe this story is an example of how a society can get out of control when thier sights are on fleshly matters and sin instead of being in communion with God which could restore the state of affairs to proper order. I see how this story could be upsetting for someone, stating if God is a loving God why would he destroy people, you may not agree but I can see this in a spiritual standpoint, I can see also in this present day how societies refuse what is right and good to seek after pleasure, forsaking righteousness.. these are christian terms which may be offensive and is also part of the problem when trying to discern religious docrine, opinions and mindsets. I am still working on my vocabulary so I will not be able to articulate my understanding on this story as well as i would like to, but I do think the story of Sodom and Gomorrah serves as a purpose. We all have good and bad in us (like our creator) its up to us to seek after righteousness for our own healing and the land. When a society is out of control all people suffer. If we see this as symbolic we look at the fact that the practices of sodom and gommorah where what destroyed them and the bible itself is a continuation of this theme: the destruction of the chosen because of the destruction they chose and the eventual redemption of god, with the promise of a permenant place of joy for the faithful.

Edited by SpiritWriter

I accidently pressed post before I was done with that.. but I think you get the gist of what I was trying to say..

Basically you can look at these stories from a spiritual point of view and gain insight.

But there haven't been many answers to the OP, only one so far out of 38 responses... there is a lack of Christian opinion on this website guys... I know your out there, please don't be quiet. Your opinion matters! We are all in this together. I am serious I really want to know why people put more weight on the bible then anything else. Is this a spiritual truth you have learned to trust over the years or is it because you've always been taught this way? Or some other reason?

But there haven't been many answers to the OP, only one so far out of 38 responses... there is a lack of Christian opinion on this website guys... I know your out there, please don't be quiet. Your opinion matters! We are all in this together. I am serious I really want to know why people put more weight on the bible then anything else. Is this a spiritual truth you have learned to trust over the years or is it because you've always been taught this way? Or some other reason?

Everything about a person's view on life is a conditioning process starting at childhood and eventually coming to their own conclusions based

on their life style and surroundings. We can choose to run with the pack or break away and be a lone wolf and eventually form our own pack.

Like a new computer from the factory. It has no programming until software has been uploaded into it to function a certain way.

• Like 1

Simple for the following reasons and purposes.i will say it the best i can to my abilities and etc!:)First of all the Bible itself contradicts itself already in the new testament and old testament.in the old bible or old testament "GOD" punishes people he even destroyed according to them a village because it was so corrupt and out of order,so in other words he wasa wrathful god.now in the new testament he does not punish people and etc.he says turn the other cheek around.turn the other cheek around so they could keep beating you up and etc in my opinion that's what it's saying to me.he has different rules in both the new and old bible or testament whch is the same thing to me.Also in the fisrt place why do we need to pray and get on our knees for certain things we want in life or when we need help or guidance.we are not saparate from "god" let me explain myself i am a spiritual perosn not religious okay.i refer to this god as the "god force"i do not picutre of this god force looks at all but instead keep a open mind.we ourselves have unlimited inner power and spiritual power!!!we have the power to change the world ourselves already!!!.Plus the churches and all religions don't want the peopleto think for themselves,critical thinking and question the bible or etc out of the fear that they might find out that they are written by man and not god and never was in the 1st place.let me tell ask you this.if god punshes and kills people then he is no different than the religions devils and demons!!!religion takes away peoples inner power and spiritual power in the sense and way that they are without knowing giving away power thaht they are born with in the 1st place.plus they are worshipping a false god andthey are looking for answers outside themseves instead of looing from within themselves.whoeever this god force is we are not separate from it.the bible was written by man not god and is a form of control system in society and brainwashing and mind control as well.religions are just one of many control and manipultion systems today!!!also youn know what they don't want you to ever find out biggest secret ever:we all have unlimited inner and real spiritual power ourselves there is no need for religions or these false gods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Andromedan Starseed 333
  • Like 1

another great website that could even further help answer this question with great detail is spellsandmagic.com where it says new pages on the third colunm to the right.it name is the brainwashed sheep and the control system of religion!

If the saints of old were capable of creating holy inspired text why can't we tap into that same power?

Hi SpiritWriter,

There's a misconception that it is the individual's effort to obtain the grace of the Divine. "God" chooses His vessel, not the other way around. Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on this fact. To become a swami (followers of the lineage of Shankaracharya, for example) includes a spiritual or psychic or otherworldly or divine seal of approval. To begin with, one wouldn't have the inclination to pursue swamihood if it were not in one's configuration, or destiny. In the Hindu culture, spiritual lineage is extremely important.

It's not up to us; however, we have the choice to give our time and dedication (via prayers, meditation, visiting "holy" sites, studying sacred books, cultivating spiritually inclined friends)...and wait for it to come. There are no guarantees, mind you. It may not come at all.

"The wind blows where it wants, and you hear the sound thereof, but can not tell from where it comes, and where it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit." (John 3:8)

Peace.

• Like 1

I believe this story is an example of how a society can get out of control when thier sights are on fleshly matters and sin instead of being in communion with God which could restore the state of affairs to proper order. I see how this story could be upsetting for someone, stating if God is a loving God why would he destroy people, you may not agree but I can see this in a spiritual standpoint, I can see also in this present day how societies refuse what is right and good to seek after pleasure, forsaking righteousness.. these are christian terms which may be offensive and is also part of the problem when trying to discern religious docrine, opinions and mindsets. I am still working on my vocabulary so I will not be able to articulate my understanding on this story as well as i would like to, but I do think the story of Sodom and Gomorrah serves as a purpose. We all have good and bad in us (like our creator) its up to us to seek after righteousness for our own healing and the land. When a society is out of control all people suffer. If we see this as symbolic we look at the fact that the practices of sodom and gommorah where what destroyed them and the bible itself is a continuation of this theme: the destruction of the chosen because of the destruction they chose and the eventual redemption of god, with the promise of a permenant place of joy for the faithful.

I think a god that is 'loving' would not destroy a city with every man, woman and child inside it. Yes that is upsetting to me. But that's because I, like any rational person, would find the deaths of a large amount of people to be a tragedy. It's something terrible, to be abhorred. A loving entity does not go on a killing spree. Somehow, though, a believer excuses it and finds ways around it. Like you just did.

We live in a human society, not a christian one. Holding christian doctrines so highly is dangerous because it's very easy to slip into a christian dictatorshiop and the next thing you know all non-believers are persecuted or killed because they are not 'righteous' enough. Or anyone that does anything against the bible gets persecuted.

Religion should be a completely personal choice. As such it has no place controlling any society, no matter how 'righteous' the reasoning.

Edited by shadowhive

It was man that wrote the bible. The bible consist of different books with different authors and that probably explains the contradictions.

Just like us on this forum who have different views on life. The thing that does make since to me in the bible is the 10 commandments.

Stealing, killing, cheating is wrong. We know it to be wrong but yet we do it and feel remorse for doing it.

Why is the bible not to be questioned?

The Bible has deeper meanings. Plus, the Holy Spirit is around to guide us, a much better guide than our current state of "mind" because the Bible is a living "spirit."

Hi SpiritWriter,

There's a misconception that it is the individual's effort to obtain the grace of the Divine. "God" chooses His vessel, not the other way around. Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on this fact. To become a swami (followers of the lineage of Shankaracharya, for example) includes a spiritual or psychic or otherworldly or divine seal of approval. To begin with, one wouldn't have the inclination to pursue swamihood if it were not in one's configuration, or destiny. In the Hindu culture, spiritual lineage is extremely important.

It's not up to us; however, we have the choice to give our time and dedication (via prayers, meditation, visiting "holy" sites, studying sacred books, cultivating spiritually inclined friends)...and wait for it to come. There are no guarantees, mind you. It may not come at all.

"The wind blows where it wants, and you hear the sound thereof, but can not tell from where it comes, and where it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit." (John 3:8)

Peace.

I quoted this just recently maybe even on this thread....

I often hear from Christians that if something is not Bible based it cannot be trusted and that if we feel we hear God speaking but it can't be backed up by the bible then it must not be God. I want to know why people believe this is true and at what point will we be able to recognize God more genuinely without the guilt of having to reference back to a source outside of ourselves. Looking for genuine Christian opinions on this.

First off, let me say that I believe in Jesus and I'd like to think that I understand the message of the Bible. I do not take it literally and I don't believe that it is all allegorical either. With that said. Let me point out that much of the technology we have today is not Bible based, so does that mean that it cannot be trusted? That it's all a tool of the Devil? Of course not (although, I guess some minority do). So in that way, I question the Bible. It was Bishop Ussher in the 1650s that showed that the Earth is only 6000 years old. Now what he did was logical but it was in error. It was based on a false premise that the chronology of the Pentateuch was consecutive. Now everyone (and I mean everyone) today knows that the Earth is much older than that. The Bible is full of contradictions but yet it is inerrant in its message. And that is key. I don't think people take the time to *see* the message.

Despite that all the prophets in the Bible were inspired by GOD, they were still only men when they wrote the scriptures. This means that human error was written into these passages and despite that, the message is still perfect. It just depends on how you perceive the Scriptures. The Bishops at Nicaea were divided by the nature of Jesus but only one way of looking at things was accepted. That didn't change the fact that the other way of thinking still exited. The first 300 years of Christianity was very diverse, but now we have had 1700 years of Catholic thought only. Even the Protestant view is heavily influenced by Catholic Dogma. From time to time groups like the Gnostics, Cathers, or even Templars come around with heretic ideas that threatened the Church. And the Church has tried to rub them out. But the question is, does it threaten the Message of the Bible or only the Church?

I am a bit of a Gnostic in that I seek the secret knowledge. I would not make a good Mason as I think that everyone should be privy to the secret knowledge. But I am willing to entertain things like that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were spouses and had children (the true Grail) and that Judas was Jesus' armor-bearer and not the traitor and that the writings of Paul are tainted because he was a Xenophobe. But none of this changes the message of the Bible. It only threatens the authority of the Catholic Church.

Now, does GOD talk to us? Yes. Do we talk to ourselves in our own head? Yes. Does Satan talk to us? Yes. One way to talk or pray is through meditation. Can there be confusion as to knowing who you are talking to? Yes. There are several places that the Bible cautions talking with the dead. Many times, demons will impersonate the dead. But does that mean that all spirits are evil? No. But just be careful. The Native American communes with nature and gives thanks to Mother Nature. Gaia is just another creature. But ultimately, it is up to the individual as to whether or not they believe they are talking to who they think they are.

BTW, I believe Jesus talked to me once. It was more of a presence. It was like being bathed in comfort and well being so I concluded it wasn't me or the Devil. But the experience was very strong. Much was revealed to me and that was basically how I became a believer. I've never *talked* to myself like that then or now. I've experienced that kind of presence one other time, but there was malevolence to this one. I could sense male energy from what seemed to be an old Indian Shaman but for some reason, I thought it was La Llorona?? Perhaps it was because of the strength of the entity?? But these two events have given me the talent or skill to recognize the difference between the two sides.

• Like 1

The Bible has deeper meanings. Plus, the Holy Spirit is around to guide us, a much better guide than our current state of "mind" because the Bible is a living "spirit."

The bible teaches us that those who are in christ are promised the holy spirit who is our counselor and guide. We are also taught to seek the face of god or: seek ye first the kingdom of god.. I dont think this is an un-obtainable task.. if the kingdom of god is inside of us, why are we unable to hear from god ourselves? I understand the the bible can be seen and is used as the Living Word, but will there ever be a point where a believer is The Living Word? When can we begin trusting ourselves that indeed we are hearing from God, the desciples prayed and moved the way the spirit said move and god made all thier accommodations. I believe we can do the same but I also feel gods not saying the same things he was saying in those days because christianity is already spread throughout the world. I guess its up to each believer to be led by the spirit in the way god is playing out their roles in life.. but this specific subject has got to be hard with todays evolution of spirituality and the church. To me it seems god is speaking in a new way and there is nothing I can do but trust the voice of god inside of me over these christians that would try to make me feel bad about it. I guess its just life. Religion isnt supposed to be easy.

I often hear from Christians that if something is not Bible based it cannot be trusted and that if we feel we hear God speaking but it can't be backed up by the bible then it must not be God. I want to know why people believe this is true and at what point will we be able to recognize God more genuinely without the guilt of having to reference back to a source outside of ourselves. Looking for genuine Christian opinions on this.

To answer your question from one Christian's perspective....

If you accept the Bible for what it claims to be - the Word of God - then you have a foundation on which to build, and a standard to use for comparison. Yes, we do get personal communication from God through the Holy Spirit, often for specific needs in our lives. But we also live in a world where there is much deception, and sometimes the enemy uses subterfuge to undermine the Kingdom of God.

For example: "By this shall all men know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." That implies that we should be wary of a Christian who constantly degrades other Christians.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the guilt of having to reference back to a source outside of ourselves." Remember that we have a spiritual enemy, and he would like nothing better than for you to find fulfillment from some source other than God.

The Bible provides us with a guide of what to do and what not to do. If something in your life goes against what the Bible says, then it should be examined very carefully.

• Like 1

I always just saw the bible as a tool for christians to use for a guidline to live by,not some ultra divine gift not to be questioned at all ever.Most do know that a lot of the original books are not even in modern bibles because the church decided they were not needed.Who were these people to decide what should and should not be read?Mortal men thats who,every modern bible you read was made and translated by mortal men.Now if this book just fell out of the sky and a earth shattering voice spoke and said these are my words written down for you to live by.Then i just might live by every single word in it lol.