Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bicycles are bad for the environment

Keel M.

This politician certainly deserves some kind of award for his stupidity. Because apparently you and I give off more CO2 than a vehicle... Even though he admittedly has no proof. :rolleyes:

Representative Ed Orcutt (R – Kalama) does not think bicycling is environmentally friendly because the activity causes cyclists to have “an increased heart rate and respiration.”

This is according to comments he made in an email to a constituent who questioned the wisdom of a new bike tax the legislature is considering as part of a large transportation package.

Source

• Like 1

That's the perfect excuse, isn't it. Exercising produces more CO2, so I'm doing my bit to reduce global warming by sitting in front of the TV eating pizza. :unsure2:

And how did I guess that there'd be a '( R )' after his name?

• Like 1

they've been smelling too much of the wrong kind of green

• Like 2

Sounds to me like just an excuse to add another tax, or increase the tax. Imo they'd tax you for sitting, standing, and running if they could,

(eta:) Please don't nobody give them no ideas, nohow!

Edited by Gummug
  • Like 1

State lawmaker defends bike tax

=========================================

well, well, well. State lawmaker and tax, theres a recipe for money!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Some poeple need to keep their mouth shut. That is the dumbest thing I have heard.

• Like 3

What a moron, humans give off carbon dioxide, a car gives off carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide is essential for plants and trees for photosynthesis.

What a tool!

If you tax food, why not bicycle too... you'd tax sex and life too if there was a price in them. A price that's legally accepted that is...

Ok, so...a bicycle tax? Really? Why don't we all just work for free? The government obviously wants to tax everything, so, let's just give up our salaries, oh wait...that's slavery.

• Like 3

I know what's the next tax revenue will come from ... the 'Nostril Emission Tax'

• Like 1

Where do some politicians get these stupid ideas? I mean really, what are they thinking? Think about some of the things that's been said in the last few years. Most of it coming from the republican side.

This is just another ingenious way for the states to siphon off some money, and expect more of this stuff as they cannot siphon off the Fed with the sequester.

Idiocy. What about jogging and sex ?.. those cause increased respiratory rates too! ..so do sports and hard work .

I'm surprised he agrees with the idea that CO2 levels affect atmospheric warming.

I'm pretty sure I give off more methane than I do carbon dioxide. :whistle:

• Like 4

This politician certainly deserves some kind of award for his stupidity. Because apparently you and I give off more CO2 than a vehicle... Even though he admittedly has no proof. :rolleyes:

Source

Politicians, spending OTHER people's money, are not known for their innate intelligence.

• Like 1

Idiocy. What about jogging and sex ?.. those cause increased respiratory rates too! ..so do sports and hard work .

I'm surprised he agrees with the idea that CO2 levels affect atmospheric warming.

You forgot about laughing, which is what most of us are doing after reading this stupidity...

I'm pretty sure I give off more methane than I do carbon dioxide. :whistle:

MMhhmmm not surprised Biff. :P

• Like 1

Cue the usual foul-mouthed tirade on Twitter that we are usually subjected to from cyclists when anyone dares saying anything negative about them, no matter how justified.

Cyclists are a menace on the road and think the rules of the highways don't apply to them. They should be banned from using proper roads and be allowed only to use their cycles on things like cycle tracks in the country or parks.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

Yeah, I suppose when you drive over a cyclist with your car you might get a bit shocked, that counts as a danger to your mental well-being. It's also dangerous to you because you might get into trouble with the law, so yeah, I can sympathise you. I think you should be able to drive over cyclists in highways and other places too if you feel like it, to have a peace of mind. :sm

I don't understand why cyclists don't ride their bikes on the sidewalks if given the option to, very seldomly do I even see people walking on the sidewalk. Obviously it makes sense that some drivers aren't as skilled as others, personally I wouldn't want to put my life in danger by riding on the edge of the road. Some 85 year old grandmother who can barely see could mow me down, someone could be driving under the influence, someone could be texting while driving. Riding a bike on the shoulder of the road is too dangerous.

Edited by WoIverine

Bicycles are not responsible for the cyclists and or other road users.

Thus any taxation is unjust and unfair.

Now, as for the human methane emission tax .... let's ban garlic and onions first

Cue the usual foul-mouthed tirade on Twitter that we are usually subjected to from cyclists when anyone dares saying anything negative about them, no matter how justified.

Cyclists are a menace on the road and think the rules of the highways don't apply to them. They should be banned from using proper roads and be allowed only to use their cycles on things like cycle tracks in the country or parks.

... and then the usual crowd of professional whingers in the local paper invariably whinge about Cyclists on the Pavement, Mowing down Pensioners. I bet there's nothing cyclists would like better than not to have to use "proper" roads among all the moronic Motorists who all think they're Clarkson.

I don't understand why cyclists don't ride their bikes on the sidewalks if given the option to, very seldomly do I even see people walking on the sidewalk. Obviously it makes sense that some drivers aren't as skilled as others, personally I wouldn't want to put my life in danger by riding on the edge of the road. Some 85 year old grandmother who can barely see could mow me down, someone could be driving under the influence, someone could be texting while driving. Riding a bike on the shoulder of the road is too dangerous.

But what if I want to? I guess it's really pretty inconsiderate, as it's no joking matter that you might get driven over, even if you accepted that risk yourself. The mental trauma of a car-driver is actually not to be belittled there. But if there's a sidewalk where you can cycle then yeah, I agree. Just that it's actually a pain in the ass in winter if the sidewalk's frozen and filled with bumpy ice or sliding-snow. I used to cycle 5km in a road like that to my first job... it felt like 20km one direction in winter. Despite my frustration there, I was actually considerate towards you car people and didn't use the 60km/h limit road which had a proper un-snowy un-icy sideline which I could've used.

Edited by Mikko-kun

Yeah, I suppose when you drive over a cyclist with your car you might get a bit shocked

If cyclists didn't go through red lights then maybe they wouldn't get hit by motor vehicles. It's their own fault for disregarding the laws of the road.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun