Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush camp in new attack on Kerry

Talon

Bush camp in new attack on Kerry

George W Bush's campaign is running a new attack ad against the White House challenger, John Kerry.

The TV commercial accuses Mr Kerry of failing to understand the threat posed by terrorists around the world.

It uses comments made by Mr Kerry to the New York Times where he says he wants to get to a time where terrorism is not the focus but a mere "nuisance".

Opinion polls suggest the two men are in a close race for the presidency, ahead of the 2 November election.

The new Bush ad was produced hours after the Kerry interview appeared in the New York Times magazine.

Asked about what it would take for Americans to feel safe again, Mr Kerry said there needed to be a change in outlook.

''We have to get back to the place we were, where terrorists are not the focus of our lives, but they're a nuisance,'' he said.

''As a former law-enforcement person, I know we're never going to end prostitution. We're never going to end illegal gambling.

"But we're going to reduce it, organised crime, to a level where it isn't on the rise. It isn't threatening people's lives every day, and fundamentally, it's something that you continue to fight, but it's not threatening the fabric of your life.''

Correspondents say that Mr Bush, who has called himself a "war president" and part of whose re-election campaign urges voters not to switch leaders while the country remains at war, paints the struggle against militants as a long-term battle that has defined his presidency.

The script for the new ad accuses Mr Kerry of changing his mind on how best to defeat terrorism, and interprets his comments as equating the war on terror to prostitution.

"Now Kerry says... We have to get back to the place where terrorists are a nuisance like gambling and prostitution... we're never going to end them," an announcer says in the commercial, which is being shown on cable television and from the campaign website.

"Terrorism... a nuisance? How can Kerry protect us when he doesn't understand the threat?"

There has been no official response yet from the Kerry campaign.

Churches courted

Mr Bush spent Sunday off the campaign trail at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, where he began some informal preparation for the last debate on Wednesday.

Mr Kerry attended a church service with leading African-American politicians Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and a largely black congregation in Miami.

"Never again will a million African-Americans be denied the right to exercise their vote in the United States of America," Mr Kerry said, referring to the disputed Florida recount in the 2000 presidential race.

Florida is again seen as a key swing state for November's poll and analysts say turnout among African-Americans - who tend to vote Democrat - is important to Mr Kerry's hopes of winning the state.

Across the country, new opinion polls suggest the electorate is still evenly split.

Mr Bush held onto a slim lead with 50% support compared with 46% to Mr Kerry in a new ABC News poll compiled partly after the second debate. The poll had a margin of error of 2.5 percentage points.

A Reuters/Zogby poll released on Monday found a lead for Mr Kerry had grown to three points, with 47% of respondents favouring him to 44% supporting Mr Bush. That survey - taken from Friday to Sunday - had a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3733504.stm

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nxt2Hvn

• Talon

• Celumnaz

• wcturnersr

Anti-Kerry film ignites new row

By Michael Buchanan

BBC Washington correspondent

A US television company is planning to run a film attacking Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry just days before the election.

Sinclair TV Group's programmes reach almost a quarter of US homes.

Its move is highly unusual and may breach federal regulations requiring stations to give equal time to major candidates in an election campaign.

The 45-minute film criticises John Kerry's opposition to the Vietnam war in the early 1970s.

In the documentary, Stolen Honor, Wounds That Never Heal, former prisoners-of-war say that Mr Kerry's claims that American soldiers were committing atrocities led to their captors treating them more harshly, and extended the length of the conflict.

'Unfair'

The Sinclair TV Group, whose executives have given tens of thousands of dollars to President George W Bush's re-election campaign, have revealed plans to show the film later this month, followed by a panel discussion to which they say Senator Kerry will be invited.

The decision to air the documentary on the 62 stations that Sinclair either owns or supplies programmes for has been criticised not only by the Kerry campaign but also by media analysts, who say showing the one-sided film so close to the election is unfair.

This argument over the role of the media in the presidential race is just the latest in this year's heated campaign.

Michael Moore's anti-Bush film Fahrenheit 9/11 outraged conservatives, who say it distorts the president's White House record.

And just recently CBS News had to apologise to Mr Bush for broadcasting a programme that was based on now-discredited documents.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3732302.stm

Legal fight over anti-Kerry film

The Democratic Party is to launch a legal challenge to try to stop a major US television company airing a critique of presidential candidate John Kerry.

Figures within the party have branded the decision to show a 45-minute film about John Kerry's Vietnam war record as "blatantly partisan".

Democrats now plan to file a federal complaint against Sinclair TV, which owns or manages 62 television stations.

The company intends to show the film just two weeks before polling day.

The documentary - Stolen Honour: Wounds That Never Heal - highlights Mr Kerry's role as an anti-war activist upon his return from active service in Vietnam.

In the film former US prisoners of war allege that Mr Kerry's testimony to Congress in 1971 prompted their captors to delay their release.

Republican mouthpiece?

Sinclair TV has asked the 62 stations, many of which broadcast in key battleground states, to suspend regular programming and show the documentary.

The company insists the film is part of regular news coverage and said that John Kerry has been invited to debate the issues raised in the film.

The BBC's Jill McGivering in Washington says the issue has renewed debate about the control of the US media and the political influence of major broadcasting groups.

The family running Sinclair TV has a history of supporting the Republicans.

Democrats have accused the company of acting as a mouthpiece for the campaign to re-elect President George W Bush.

The Democratic National Committee is to petition the Federal Election Committee to classify the film an "illegal in-kind contribution" to the Republican campaign.

In a letter to the Federal Communication Commission, 18 Democratic senators branded the documentary "blatantly partisan".

The Democrats are not thought likely to obtain a ruling in time to stop the broadcast.

Supporters of President Bush argue that film-maker Michael Moore used his hit cinema release Fahrenheit 9/11 to urge Americans to vote for Mr Kerry.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3737956.stm

Well.. what is good for the goose ..... whistling2.gif

thumbsup.gif

Gods I've never hated an election more then I've hated this one.

I'm with you SilverCougar. blink.gif

Well then, if that documentary gets deemed "illegal" then I'm gonna raise hell and try to get Mikey Moore's crap deemed illegal to. devil.gifgunsmilie.gif

Hey, that Team America World Police is out here soon, it looks sooooo funny laugh.gif

The bush campaign is beginning to drop to new lows, they seem desperate now, mudslinging beyond belief.

In any other country in the world they would be shown up for the corrupt bunch of nitwits they are.

But witha wink and a smile dubya leads america like some sort of poorly educated , half witted pied piper.

Lets just hope the ending aint the same.

Yes....I find it a little terrifying that freedom of speach could be so obviously censored, and yet the republicans still scream his praises like a bunch of deluded cultists huh.gif

That was, by the way, reference to that comedy thingus Talon mentioned being deemed "Un-American"....I mean what the hell is that!? Anti-Bush isn't un-american, it's un-idiot tongue.gif

Edited by Seraphina

I cannot believe you people. The democrats started running a dirty campaign from the get go. How come it is always the republicans that are wrong whenever a group of people decide to air something that could be true in reference to a democrat? But when Michael Moore airs something on a republican it is okay? I just do not understand how any of you are thinking.

They don't.

Kerry's VP to be said people paralized would be able to get up out of their wheelchairs when Kerry is president. Giving false hope to paralized idiots everywhere, but yeah, those are the good guys. ha.

Giving false hope to paralized idiots everywhere

Excuse me? huh.gif

Excuse me? huh.gif

304707[/snapback]

I am sure that he didn't mean that "Paralyzed people" are idiots... he meant that "Kerry Supporters" are idiots... just these certain Kerry supportes are paralyzed..... whistling2.gif

huh? Yeah, just what I said. He's giving voters in Christopher Reeves' condition the impression that if they vote for Kerry they're going to get up and walk. That's false hope, and only a certain kind of person, God bless em, would fall for it. And it's sick to give false hope like that for politics to freaking paralized people. I started out just not likeing Kerry, but Edwards is a pretty sick guy too I guess.

Still not voting for Bush, but Kerry/Edwards are just sick immoral sick unethical sick... they're lawyers on display trying to sway a jury with emotion.

lol yeah Nxt, gotta watch what ya say! Only an idiot would believe it, and those certain idiots he's pandering to happen to be paralized, it's sick.

Excuse me? huh.gif

304707[/snapback]

I am sure that he didn't mean that "Paralyzed people" are idiots... he meant that "Kerry Supporters" are idiots... just these certain Kerry supportes are paralyzed..... whistling2.gif

304760[/snapback]

Considering that approximately one half of the voting population is supporting Kerry, I think that you might want to revise your statement a tad bit...

Excuse me? huh.gif

304707[/snapback]

304760[/snapback]

Considering that approximately one half of the voting population is supporting Kerry, I think that you might want to revise your statement a tad bit...

304777[/snapback]

Mmmmmm... 1/2 half... really???

Nah... i will keep my statement as is! thumbsup.gif

Especially .. since I am in the non-idiot half of the population .... that is voting for Bush!!! whistling2.gif

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

That was the past, most people aren't the same as before.

Is it me or is this election under-rated? I'd rate it an R. It's really twisted. How far will they go to slap each other in the face.... What are they going to poke fun at each others kiddy pictures next?

Edited by Blue-Scorpion

he meant that "Kerry Supporters" are idiots

If the half of the population which vote for the other party are idiots and only sane people vote Bush, why not just form a one party state dictatorship? I mean, if there are only two parties which can get into power, and one is so bad and relies on the stupid to get it into power, then surely it would be best to say 'to h*ll with freedom of speech and voting rights, choice of leadership and all that' and just make the 'smart people's party' the only party. I mean if 'idiots' can vote in a stupid person's party, it kind shows democracy doesn't work. Then you wont have to worry about idiots voting in the wrong party, because your leaders will be picked for you by ‘smart’ party.

he meant that "Kerry Supporters" are idiots

If the half of the population which vote for the other party are idiots and only sane people vote Bush, why not just form a one party state dictatorship? I mean, if there are only two parties which can get into power, and one is so bad and relies on the stupid to get it into power, then surely it would be best to say 'to h*ll with freedom of speech and voting rights, choice of leadership and all that' and just make the 'smart people's party' the only party. I mean if 'idiots' can vote in a stupid person's party, it kind shows democracy doesn't work. Then you wont have to worry about idiots voting in the wrong party, because your leaders will be picked for you by ‘smart’ party.

304840[/snapback]

Of course.... that statement I made that people that vote for Kerry are idiots... is "My Opinion"....which I am entitled to have! thumbsup.gifcool.gifwhistling2.gif

Right now, we have one guy saying one thing. Then the other guy says something else. Who to believe? Lemme see; have I got this straight?

Clinton awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Yugoslavia - good...

Bush awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Iraq - bad...

Clinton spends 77 billion on war in Serbia - good...

Bush spends 87 billion in Iraq - bad...

Clinton imposes regime change in Serbia - good...

Bush imposes regime change in Iraq - bad...

Clinton bombs Christian Serbs on behalf of Muslim Albanian terrorists- good...

Bush liberates 25 million from a genocidal dictator - bad...

Clinton bombs Chinese embassy - good...

Bush bombs terrorist camps - bad...

Clinton commits felonies while in office - good...

Bush lands on aircraft carrier in jumpsuit - bad...

No mass graves found in Serbia - good...

No WMD found Iraq - bad...

Stock market crashes in 2000 under Clinton - good...

Economy on upswing under Bush - bad...

Clinton refuses to take custody of Bin Laden - good...

World Trade Centers fall under Bush - bad...

Clinton says Saddam has nukes - good...

Bush says Saddam has nukes - bad...

Clinton calls for regime change in Iraq - good...

Bush imposes regime change in Iraq - bad...

Terrorist training in Afghanistan under Clinton - good...

Bush destroys training camps in Afghanistan - bad...

Milosevic not yet convicted - good...

Saddam turned over for trial - bad...

Ahh, it's so confusing!

Every year an independent tax watchdog group analyzes the average tax burden on Americans, and then calculates the "Tax Freedom Day". This is the day after which the money you earn goes to you, not the government. This year, tax freedom day was April 11th. That's the earliest it has been since 1991. It's latest day ever was May 2nd, which occurred in 2000. Notice anything special about those dates?

Recently, John Kerry gave a speech in which he claimed Americans are actually paying more taxes under Bush, despite the tax cuts. He gave no explanation and provided no data for this claim.

Another interesting fact: Both George Bush and John Kerry are wealthy men. Bush owns only one home, his ranch in Texas. Kerry owns 4 mansions, all worth several million dollars. (His ski resort home in Idaho is an old barn brought over from Europe in pieces. Not your average A-frame). Bush paid $250,000 in taxes this year; Kerry paid $90,000. Does that sound right? The man who wants to raise your taxes obviously has figured out a way to avoid paying his own.

Just something else to think about, fuel for the fire!!!!

Fight facts with facts I always say!!

GREAT POST twpdyp !!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Why should you care how "Jeremiah Denton" feels about John Kerry? First, let's make certain we know exactly who Jeremiah Denton is, because in our world today, Americans who have given so much for their country .... are often "unknown".

Who Is Jeremiah Denton?

In 1973, Jeremiah A. Denton, Jr. walked off an Air Force C-141 aircraft to freedom after being held captive in North Vietnam for more than seven years.

Born in 1924 in Mobile Alabama, Denton graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1946.

In June 1965, he was assigned to Attack Squadron 75 on the USS Independence flying the Grumman A-6 Intruder.

On 18 July 1965, while pulling up after leading a bombing attack on enemy installations near Thanh Hoa, he was shot down and captured by North Vietnamese troops.

While held prisoner, Denton became the first American subjected to four years of solitary confinement. In 1966, during a television interview by the North Vietnamese and broadcast on American television, Denton gained national attention when, while being questioned, he blinked his eyes in Morse code, repeatedly spelling out the covert message "T-O-R-T-U-R-E". During his captivity he frequently served as the senior American military officer in numerous camps in and around Hanoi.

On 12 February 1973, Denton was released and promoted to rear admirall in April 1973. In 1976 Denton's Vietnam experience was chronicled in the book When Hell Was in Session, and in an NBC movie of the same title, which won the 1979 Peabody Award. In

1979 Denton retired from the Navy as Commandant of the Armed Forces Staff College and returned to Mobile, Alabama.

During his 34 years of military service, he received numerous awards and honors, to include:

* the Navy Cross,

* Three Silver Stars,

* The Distinguished Flying Cross, and

* Two Purple Hearts.

In November 1980, Denton became the first retired flag officer ever elected to the U.S. Senate. Some of his major committee assignments included: the Judiciary Committee, the Armed Services Committee, and the Veterans Affairs Committee.

In 1983, Denton founded the National Forum Foundation Dedicated to the concept of One Nation under God, the institution of the family, welfare reform, and peacekeeping and humanitarian affairs.

In 1987, he was appointed by President Ronald Reagan to be Chairman of the Presidential Commission on Merchant Marine and Defense.

Among many other legislative accomplishments, Denton established the highly acclaimed international aid program known as The Denton Program, responsible for transporting over 20 million pounds of critical equipment and supplies to needy people throughout the world. Denton currently serves as President of the National Forum Foundation and lectures on national and international affairs.

He and his wife Jane reside in Mobile, Alabama. They have 7 children and 15 grandchildren.

Who is John Kerry?

03/09/04 By JEREMIAH DENTON

(Rear Admiral, US Navy, Retired)

(Former POW) Special to the Register

Knowing that I served in the U.S. Senate with John Kerry and that, like him, I am a veteran of the Vietnam War, many people have asked me what I think of him, particularly now that he's the apparent presidential nominee of the Democratic Party.

When Kerry joined me in the Senate, I already knew about his record of defamatory remarks and behavior criticizing U.S. policy in Vietnam and the conduct of our military personnel there. I had learned in North Vietnamese prisons how much harm such statements caused.

To me, his remarks and behavior amounted to giving aid and comfort to our Vietnamese and Soviet enemies. So I was not surprised when his subsequent overall voting pattern in the Senate was consistently detrimental to our national security. Considering his demonstrated popularity during the Democratic primaries, I earnestly hope the American people will soberly consider Kerry's qualifications for the presidency in light of his position and record on both our cultural war at home and on national security issues.

To put it bluntly, John Kerry exemplifies the very reasons that I switched to the Republican Party. Like the majority in his political party, he has proven by his words and actions that his list of priorities ... his ideas on what most needs to be done to improve this country ... are almost opposite to my own. Here are two issue areas that I consider top priorities: the war over the soul of America, and national security.

Top priority should be placed on an effort to recover our most fundamental founding belief that our national objectives, policies and laws should reflect obedience to the will of Almighty God. Our Declaration of Independence, our national Constitution and each of the states' constitutions stress that basic American national principle. For about 200 years, the entire country, both parties and all branches of government understood that principle and tried to follow it ... if imperfectly.

For some 50 years, our nation's opinion-makers, our courts and, gradually, our politicians have been abandoning our historical effort to be "one nation under God" in favor of becoming "one nation without God," with glaringly unfavorable results.

I believe our political leaders, educational system, parents and opinion-makers must all return to teaching the truth most emphasized by our Founding Fathers. George Washington called religious belief indispensable to the prosperity of our democracy. William Penn said, "Men must choose to be governed by God or condemn themselves to be ruled by tyrants." And when asked what caused the Civil War, President Lincoln said, "We have forgotten God."

In these days we have not only forgotten God, we are by our new standards of government and culture rejecting him as the acknowledged creator and as the endower of our rights. As a result, we are suffering cultural decay and human unhappiness. The decline of the institution of the family is the most obvious result. Perhaps the current movie, "The Passion of the Christ," will help many to come to realize the cost of the redemption of our sins, and the destructiveness of sin.

Let's remember that over 95 percent of Americans during our founding days were Christians, and though our Founding Fathers stipulated that no one was to be compelled to believe in any religion, and also stipulated that there would be no single Christian denomination installed as a national religion, there was no question that our laws were to be firmly based on the Judean Ten Commandments and on Christ's mandate to love your neighbor as you love yourself. That setup brought us amazing success as a nation, lifting us from our humble beginnings, through crisis after crisis, to become the leading nation of the world.

Now, though, we are throwing away the very source of our strength and greatness. Yet I am not giving up on our country. I am encouraged at the stand and the attitude of our president, and inspired by his courage. There are many more of his stripe in Washington now. Though Rome and other empires have decayed and fallen, the cultural war in the United States can and should be won by the majority of Americans ... a majority to whom Kerry and the Democrats disdainfully refer to as the "far right." They are people who believe in God and in the original concept of "one nation under God."

As a nation, we are now at the point of no return. The GOOD GUYS are finally angry enough to join the fray, and I pray we are not too late. John Kerry is not among the good guys.

The Democratic Party isn't, either.

Indeed, on the subject of national security, John Kerry epitomizes a fatal weakness in the Democratic Party. During the decisive days of the Cold War, after the Democratic Party changed during the mid-1960s, the party was on the wrong side of every strategic debate on policy regarding Vietnam and the USSR, and is now generally on the wrong side in the war on terrorism.

The truth is that the Cold War was barely won by a narrow margin ... a victory and a margin determined by the political choices made by our government regarding suitable steps to deter Soviet attack and finally win the Cold War. If the U.S. had followed the Democratic Party line, the Cold War would have concluded with the U.S. having to surrender without a fight, or the U.S. would have been defeated in a nuclear war with acceptable losses to the USSR. It was not Johnson and Carter and the Democrats; it was Reagan and Bush, and the Republicans who led us to victory in the Cold War.

And George W. Bush and the Republican majority ... not John Kerry and the Democrats ... can lead us to victory in the war on terrorism.

Jeremiah Denton; Rear Admiral, US Navy, Retired

Just another opinion

Twpdyp, you better hope Michael Moore does not see your little fact sheet. He might twist it around and give it to Kerry so he can use it in one of his campaign speeches. laugh.gif