Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain's most tattooed man

Still Waters

He's Britain's most-tattooed man, with 80 per cent of his body covered in ink.

But 33-year-old Mathew Whelan is now struggling to find work as a result of his devotion to body art.

After spending 300 hours in the tattooist's chair and having paid more than £20,000 for designs, Mr Whelan is currently volunteering in the office of a Liberal Democrat MP.

http://www.dailymail...ng-80-body.html

• Like 1

What a dumb-ass. Hey nothing against people with tatoos but getting your face covered is just begging to die poor hungry and young.

• Like 3

Surely there is a role in a low-rate circus for a Tattooed Man?

• Like 2

'There's someone in Canada who has already asked if he can have my skull to use as a paint pot.'

===================================================================================================

And he could use it right now, at least this would fill it with something useful.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

When was the last time you saw a member of parliament or congress (for example) with tattoos, piercings, or spiky hair?

Maybe when 'normal'-looking people like me have died out, it will become commonplace.

I wonder how many recent graduates are unemployed because they can't speak properly with the bar-bell thru their tongue, and they look like they've been dragged thru a hedge backwards!

What a dumb-ass. Hey nothing against people with tatoos but getting your face covered is just begging to die poor hungry and young.

img2.jpgtameiti.jpg

I would have no issues employing the pictured woman. Face tattoos which are culturally significant are a different kettle of fish than a doodle you think will look cool. Would these tattoos put off other perspective employers?

• Like 1

I'll park outside this mans house and play music all night long. If he gets angry I'll just say I'm expressing myself and exposing art to everyone around.

• Like 2

I bet this guy has no work either.

Calls himself Mad Dog.

mad_dog_deon_skull_tattoo.jpg

Thats an insult to dogs!

• Like 1

Maybe he should do what people have sugegsted in the comments to the article, become a tattooist or work in a tattoo shop in some other capacity.

Personally I do think that having so many facial tattoos is a little much, I'd certainly not do it, but it's his body not mine.

He's obviously mentally disturbed.

The tribal tattoo from Buzzkill's post is a different story, I think. That is more of a cultural tattoo (plus it looks totally cool).

It was the bath salts, I tell ya.

• Like 4

I love tattoo's and have a number of them. But I also know that in today's society, although tattoo's and piercings (which I also have) and unusual hair (mine is currently pink) are much more accepted and commonplace, heavy tattooing like the guy in the link is bound to put some employers off. If an employer doesn't like it, there is a good chance customers may not too.

In an ideal world no one care what people looked like, as long as they had good hygiene and could do the job they would be employed, but that just isn't the case. Surely this guy would have known this prior to getting all those tattoo's done???

Luckily in spite of my "different" appearences I have never had trouble getting work. I have had two employers since leaving school. With the first I completed my qualification in the evenings to become an accountant and have worked as an accountant and, more recently, a Financial Analyst.

Edited by Moon Gazer

img2.jpgtameiti.jpg

I would have no issues employing the pictured woman. Face tattoos which are culturally significant are a different kettle of fish than a doodle you think will look cool. Would these tattoos put off other perspective employers?

I have employed people with facial tattoo’s (cultural facial tattoo’s). I have absolutely no problem with that.

I wouldn’t touch these other clowns, I am pretty sure most of them do it so it qualifies them as un-employable. I would stop their benefits also.

freetoroam... Your right when you said Mad Dog was an insult to dogs. Mad Dog on Jerely Kyle show.. that says it all really!!

Mathematical equation for you guys: Mad Dog + Jeremy Kyle = ______________

• Like 2

There are lots of people in Hawaii with tribal facial tattoos, the pics posted are of the Maori people from New Zealand but most Polynesian cultures have facial tattoos and body tats. It's no problem Finding a job in a field that doesn't require one to look a certain way.

These have meaning but I find King ink dude, or whatever his name is, grotesque! Especially the one blacke ned eye ball. And the hair...oh yes, and the tattoos. And the attitude. He's just gross.

• Like 1

I can't understand this modern British obsession with tattoos. The British are the most tattooed people in Europe. Even worse, many women are now covering themselves in tattoos.

I can't understand this modern British obsession with tattoos. The British are the most tattooed people in Europe. Even worse, many women are now covering themselves in tattoos.

It is not a modern British obsession. if anything i think the footballers of today or more obsessed about it.

As pointed out, its the chavs way of making themselves unemployable.

There is also the "obsession" that those who have been in prison gets a tattoo on their necks.....what!!?? why would they wants to let the world know that and why would you want to employ someone who is proud of that fact?

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

It is not a modern British obsession. if anything i think the footballers of today or more obsessed about it.

There is also the "obsession" that those who have been in prison gets a tattoo on their necks.....what!!?? why would they wants to let the world know that and why would you want to employ someone who is proud of that fact?

Oh yes.. The tear drop tattoo... How attractive and inviting for a new employer.

• Like 1

Oh yes.. The tear drop tattoo... How attractive and inviting for a new employer.

When they were first worn they meant that the wearer had been incarcerated and or killed someone while in or out of prison. As times have changed however, the teardrop has come to symbolize a friend or fellow gang member or family member that has died while the wearer is incarcerated.

NICE!!! why do they think that the world would be remotely interested or "impressed" by that?

Who needs a CV and references with that on their face?

The British are obsessed with tattoos more than anyone else in Europe. The British are by far the most tattooed Europeans.

Up until 15 years or so ago it was almost entirely just working class men who had tattoos. You would see them all in the pubs after work with colourful tattoos on their arms whilst supping their Tetley's Bitter and smoking their rollups.

Now they seem a fashion accessory for not only the middle class, too, but also even for women. These tattoos are unsightly on anybody, but they are even more unsightly when you see them almost completely covering the arms an otherwise beautiful young women.

Here's the lead singer of the Military Wives' Choir. The 100 members of the choir are all wives and girlfriends of British soldiers serving in Afghanistan and the choir had 2011's Christmas Number 1 with the song "Wherever You Are", the lyrics of which were based on the letters that the women sent to their husbands in Afghanistan:

Samantha-Stevenson_2072742b.jpg

Why she had to vandalise her body with such unsightly grafitti is beyond me.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

The British are obsessed with tattoos more than anyone else in Europe. The British are by far the most tattooed Europeans.

Up until 15 years or so ago it was almost entirely just working class men who had tattoos. You would see them all in the pubs after work with colourful tattoos on their arms whilst supping their Tetley's Bitter and smoking their rollups.

Now they seem a fashion accessory for not only the middle class, too, but also even for women. These tattoos are unsightly on anybody, but they are even more unsightly when you see them almost completely covering the arms an otherwise beautiful young women.

Here's the lead singer of the Military Wives' Choir. The 100 members of the choir are all wives and girlfriends of British soldiers serving in Afghanistan and the choir had 2011's Christmas Number 1 with the song "Wherever You Are", the lyrics of which were based on the letters that the women sent to their husbands in Afghanistan:

Samantha-Stevenson_2072742b.jpg

Why she had to vandalise her body with such unsightly grafitti is beyond me.

What buisness is it of yours what anyone has tattooed on them? Last I checked the bodies of women (in fact, any person) belonged to themselves. So if someone gets a tattoo it is their decision not yours!

People get tattoos for all kinds of reasons. When my grandad was alive he had a tattoo on his arm from when he was in the navy. Other people get tattoos for various reasons, most have a special meaning to the person (although some do because they like the design).

However, as I said to begin with, what buisness of yours is it what people do with their bodies? If you don't want a tattoo, fine, but that's no reason to go around insulting everyone that has them.

• Like 1

Up until 15 years or so ago it was almost entirely just working class men who had tattoos. You would see them all in the pubs after work with colourful tattoos on their arms whilst supping their Teley's Bitter and smoking their rollups.

Now they seem a fashion accessory for not only the middle class, too, but also even for women. These tattoos are unsightly on anybody, but they are even more unsightly when you see them almost completely covering an otherwise beautiful young women.

I know the chavs love them. But where are you getting your stats from? I go to Europe quite a lot and see just as many people with tattoos as I do here.

smiley-confused005.gif

What buisness is it of yours what anyone has tattooed on them? Last I checked the bodies of women (in fact, any person) belonged to themselves. So if someone gets a tattoo it is their decision not yours!

People get tattoos for all kinds of reasons. When my grandad was alive he had a tattoo on his arm from when he was in the navy. Other people get tattoos for various reasons, most have a special meaning to the person (although some do because they like the design).

However, as I said to begin with, what buisness of yours is it what people do with their bodies? If you don't want a tattoo, fine, but that's no reason to go around insulting everyone that has them.

people can do exactly what they want, its their bodies. BUT, when someone has a tattoo which is in our faces, then they are asking for comments. Just like the prisoners mentioned above, they WANT people to know they have been inside, so when people are being given a message through a tattoo, they have every right to comment.

Sorry, i know the post was not to me, but just saying what i think.shy-shy-timid-timorous-smiley-emoti.gif

Edited by freetoroam

I have two tattoos that have meaning to me, but both are hidden from view (chest and back) when i am wearing a work shirt. I wouldn't discriminate based on tasteful visible tattoo's, but your next potential employer might. Who knows what the future holds and getting visible tattoos may have a bigger impact then you think at the time.

people can do exactly what they want, its their bodies. BUT, when someone has a tattoo which is in our faces, then they are asking for comments. Just like the prisoners mentioned above, they WANT people to know they have been inside, so when people are being given a message through a tattoo, they have every right to comment.

Sorry, i know the post was not to me, but just saying what i think.shy-shy-timid-timorous-smiley-emoti.gif

I said in an earlier post about facial tattoos. However, Lazygun was making a comment about ALL tattoos, not just facial ones so that's how I was responding to him.