Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Far Cry 3 (2012)

buckskin scout

... is pure awesomeness!

I hear plenty about the Mass Effect trilogy throughout the net and have very little doubt it will live up to its reputation. So little doubt I consequently keep putting it on the backburner not out of disappointment but from sheer anticipation.

Anyways, enough on ME this thread is dedicated to a game I am sure will give the Mass Effect franchise a good run for their money maybe even surpass it and that game is Far Cry 3.

The gameplay is simply exhilarating and at times heartbreaking and emotionally stirring. When you first encounter Dr Erhnhardt, a burnt out English doctor that manufactures illegal drugs for Vaas (a very bad dude with a mohawk, see--> game coverart) and his pirates, it is difficult not to get the sniffles. And that is not going into the quest he gives you to retrieve magic mushrooms from an undersea cavern. Nuff said there as I don't want to spoil it too much.

Basically, you are out to save your kidnapped friends while being assisted and trained by the natives of the island whom are the pirates avowed enemies. But the pirates basically dominate the island.

The game REQUIRES you to hunt animals because that is the only way players can acquire gear upgrades by crafting bigger and better holsters, loot rucksacks, wallets, ammo pouches, syringe kits, etc by using the skins of the animals you kill. Without hunting you aint going to be able to do squat but just another victims of Vaas and his goons. Nothing like the ability to carry two, three, or four firearms at a time or carry exponentially more ammo for missions or gather together more loot with larger rucksacks.

The game REQUIRES you to gather certain plants for different purposes as through them you craft healing medicine, aids for combat and hunting, and other miscellany. Without gathering you simply will not survive for long. You're dead meat!

The game REQUIRES looting so you always have cash for guns, gun attachments such as silencers, sights, larger magazines, maps, etc. Nothing like upgrading my compound bow with better sights providing it with exponentially longer range, or upgrading my MP5 with a silencer, larger magazine, and red dot sights. The latter which one can only provide two attachments. So there I am, do I want the silencer with a larger clip or do I want the silencer with the red dot sighting which improves the accuracy of the gun especially in low light situations or at night.

There is also three skill sets that as you level up and unlock more to choose from. Each time you choose a new skill your character receives a new tattoo.

And not to mention the various types of vehicles one gets to commandeer through force or happenstance which includes cars, jeeps, boats, jetskies, hang gliders, etc.

The details and graphics of this game stole my breathe away nevermind the fact the wildlife is geographically impossible as you encounter real beasties from the four corners of the Earth.

Kudos to UBISOFT! :tsu:

Have I gushed enough about this game? I am confidently sure there is nothing to be disappointed by it!

Brian Tyler did a fabulously job with the OST (original soundtrack), here is the main theme:

[media=]

[/media]

P.S. it is quite eerie being all alone in the jungle at night or during a torrential downpour and hearing all the wildlife come alive around you and realizing something is bound to jump out at you for a snack.

Edited by B Jenkins

One of the endings are abit f'ed up. As not to spoil it, it can be found on youtube.

One of the endings are abit f'ed up. As not to spoil it, it can be found on youtube.

I definitely will steer clear from the ending! Thanks for letting me know.

Aye, someone told me about on of the endings and pretty much ruined the game for me before I had the chance to buy it. Might not even play it now.

I still though the game was pretty good. You don't have to choose that ending, unless you're a sadomasochist.

Aye, someone told me about on of the endings and pretty much ruined the game for me before I had the chance to buy it. Might not even play it now.

It is a fun game and I am glad I am oblivious to one of the endings. But I am beginning to find faults in it, like the AI isnt the most intelligent I've encountered. The NPCs constantly throw themselves at me for the most part yet it still gets pretty hairy when the reinforcements arrive.

One of the objectives of the game is basically taking back the island which are done through multiple means. I began on easy, now playing on medium, and beginning to feel I should put this game on hard. The NPCs are frankly fodder to most everything I throw at them. The game is basically beginning to lose any sense of a challenge.

But the first pirate outpost of the game you automatically have to clear, I've cleared out everything south, west, and north of it so far in from this cleared outpost and it looks like the island could be much more vast. How vast I am not sure, as I haven't cleared anything east of that first outpost which lies close to the farthest western rim of the island? Once I have more and more areas mapped out maybe the outposts and other objectives will become increasingly more difficult the more we close in on Vaas.

Or I've put the proverbial foot in the mouth with so much premature praise.

Edited by B Jenkins
  • Like 1

Well I played for a couple more hours, and maybe shamefacedly recant my first impressions... where did the story go???

As hilariously fun it is tramp around the jungles, hills, and beaches in a jalopy, using them for vehicular slaughter when i can't be bothered to exit the vehicle or level the playing fields against fearsome bears and deadly lethal wildlife, the whole game consists of only a few redundant objectives, clear out enemy outposts so that my allies can occupy, fortify, and operate in said area, repair radio towers for the same basic reasons and to broaden my maps, go on special animal hunts to acquire better equipment, do alittle relic hunting on the side, and take out bounties on Vaas's nondescript captains which ALWAYS require stealth and the use of a knife -- guns and (ahem!) vehicles are restricted.

So basically this game is pretty much a grind. Meanwhile I grew attached to Earnhardt and my friends. And Vaas is strangely absent too. I wouldn't mind that psycho turning up occassionally afterall, I am taking his island. Did I mention how gorgeous the graphics and landscapes are? With all that said and done, a couple of more hours of gameplay are in order.

Edited by B Jenkins

Beat the single player a while ago. playing multiplayer now...I hate Crocs and Sharks..lol

Is there cool sniping like in original Far Cry? I never saw any game that was as good for sniping, well, perhaps Stalker - Call of Pripyat with some mods

Beat the single player a while ago. playing multiplayer now...I hate Crocs and Sharks..lol

Yeah, the bigs cats and the bears would be abit concerning because my SMG or I would be in sniper mode as both these are either abit underpowered even if one sprays & prays or the gun is not designed for close quarters. But yes I hate sharks too, and I have yet to encounter a croc but I have seen a hilarious vid on youtube on a FC3 where the player basically crapped his pants lol. *Bites finger nails* at the thought of what is lurking in some of these waters. Oh and bears aren't too liked by me either, though if I am armed with a light machine gun or a flamethrower, bears will do well to best avoid me. I grew wary of sharks and learned if I just wade out to knee deep water, I can basically clear out the sharks with the sniper rifle or one of my automatic firearms

Is there cool sniping like in original Far Cry? I never saw any game that was as good for sniping, well, perhaps Stalker - Call of Pripyat with some mods

The game has a fabulous sniping system with one sniping rifle I have unlocked so far, the latest one can be geared up with a silencer, extended magazine, and powerful hunting scope with zoom lens. Alot of the weapons can be geared with such attachements.

It is quite fun to free roam the jungles and the ATVs especially haul butt, especially if one encounters 3 or 4 successive pirate jeep patrols. It can get one out of a hot situation rather quickly. Jeeps don't have a chance. And there are jeeps with mounted guns where if you can stop the vehicle, you take the gun mount.

Overall the game is entertaining with one drawback, it has rather simply rinse, repeat gameplay and the fact I wished the game had more story. I havent had a cinematic cutscene with any sort of character development/story development for quite awhile. No, I am just carrying on a Rambo-like guerrilla war against Vaas and his pirates. Despite the redundacy, it is still entertaining I reiterate, but also in the back of my mind I am feeling like abit of a dupe.

Edited by B Jenkins
  • Like 1

The sharks and crocs sure as hell make you jump when they attack, I managed to kill the sharks from the shore and then dive in to skin them but the crocs seem to come out of nowhere. I was doing really well unlocking the map by activating the towers but I can't unlock any more parts of the map, without being warned that I am leaving the safety game zone and to return back.

I am stuck now trying to kill the big mask thing, I keep having a go but hate having to start that level at the beginning every time I fail, so I go off and get involved in other things in the game play, picking up missions from the message boards etc..

The sharks and crocs sure as hell make you jump when they attack, I managed to kill the sharks from the shore and then dive in to skin them but the crocs seem to come out of nowhere. I was doing really well unlocking the map by activating the towers but I can't unlock any more parts of the map, without being warned that I am leaving the safety game zone and to return back.

I am stuck now trying to kill the big mask thing, I keep having a go but hate having to start that level at the beginning every time I fail, so I go off and get involved in other things in the game play, picking up missions from the message boards etc..

On the subject of bounties and side missions, there is another grip against the game, you can't collect them, once you pick one up you have to complete right then and there. Or the mission will be a failure.

I have just started really getting into the side missions, and they can only be unlocked on the map again AFTER you complete the mission or bounty that you have currently open.

They should ALL remain unlocked and players should be able to collect them all up and do them at their absolute leisure. But the game designers decided no unfortunately. No collecting bounties or side mission, bummer!

I haven't gotten to the big mask thingy but I have the whole north of the island, west to east unlocked two areas basically two or three areas wide and beginning to take up the side missions and bounties, I may chose to clear all of those out before trekking south to more outposts and radio towers.

Question:

When you look at the whole map, there’s an island to the North East of the mainland, On the island is a heavily guarded compound. I have managed to get inside the compound past all the guards and the compound is empty, after picking up various supplies etc, I tried looking to see how to get into the second half of the compound. There’s a massive dividing wall between the two compounds and a large wooden tower. I can hear people behind the wall but for the life in me can’t work out how to get in there?

I have been right round the perimeter looking for a way in as well as looking from inside the first half of the empty compound??

How do I get inside?

I love it! The character movement and gun handling just works so well and feels so fluid it makes the game just a joy to play. The guns behave realistically and the AI are smart enough to hunt you out from a lone gunshot. The islands ecosystem all interacts so well and getting nabbed by a croc still remains one of the most terrifying moments in gaming this year (last year).

In places the AI seems to get confused leading to them throwing their cars off cliffs or just wandering into the sea. I also encountered a problem in which my car became infused with another after a head on collision. this happened a few times actually but nevertheless those are just tiny glitches that can be expected of games this size.

Overall, far cry 3 is just a nice place to be. it's not another washed out, grayish war torn city, and it's not a dark and gloomy dungeon crawler to which we all have become accustom to. Instead, far cry offers a bright, colorful setting which, coupled with the game mechanics, makes arguably one of the best FPS games around!

Question:

When you look at the whole map, there’s an island to the North East of the mainland, On the island is a heavily guarded compound. I have managed to get inside the compound past all the guards and the compound is empty, after picking up various supplies etc, I tried looking to see how to get into the second half of the compound. There’s a massive dividing wall between the two compounds and a large wooden tower. I can hear people behind the wall but for the life in me can’t work out how to get in there?

I have been right round the perimeter looking for a way in as well as looking from inside the first half of the empty compound??

How do I get inside?

On the south island? That could be Hoyt's Compound and it is a specific mission called "Aced In The Hole" and will meet Sam at that massive wall. It is the final mission that players can manually save. So save it before accepting, there's no turning back at this point.

468px-Farcry3_d3d11_2012-12-03_20-48-06-44.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No spam intended but Gamestop is selling Far Cry 3 brand new at 50% off during their two week Spring Savings Days from March 25th through to April 7th.

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/gamestop-sale

What a bargain except unless someone shops for bargains on Ebay or Amazon marketplace.

The cheapest I have seen this at GS is $37.99 PRE-OWNED!

Just an FYI! No spam intended.

Edited by B Jenkins

I recently purchased the DLC pack, and my advice?

Don't buy it!!!

For £8 (I think) You get 2 new single player weapons (An M700 Sniper which is a slightly modded version of the one you already have) and the tribal knife which makes no difference to melee combat. You also get a series of missions that are set in dark, grey underground bunkers, and focus on locating documents and killing groups of pirates (SHOCKER). I was most excited to finally get some new animals to hunt, but SURPRISE! They're a complete joke too. The skins you take from them not only are completely useless, but they are actually the same skins you get from animals already in the game.

There's still a mission or 2 i'll need to check out, and you get a weapon or two for multiplayer but overall, a complete waste of time!

• Like 1

I recently purchased the DLC pack, and my advice?

Don't buy it!!!

For £8 (I think) You get 2 new single player weapons (An M700 Sniper which is a slightly modded version of the one you already have) and the tribal knife which makes no difference to melee combat. You also get a series of missions that are set in dark, grey underground bunkers, and focus on locating documents and killing groups of pirates (SHOCKER). I was most excited to finally get some new animals to hunt, but SURPRISE! They're a complete joke too. The skins you take from them not only are completely useless, but they are actually the same skins you get from animals already in the game.

There's still a mission or 2 i'll need to check out, and you get a weapon or two for multiplayer but overall, a complete waste of time!

Thanks very much, alot of this DLC business is simply a company double dipping on their product. Take Bioshock Infinite, someone at Gamestop told me the unreleased DLC material is going to add 40% additional gameplay according to this individual.

With FC3 the gameplay is certainly repetitive but oh so habit forming. My favorite weapon is the compound bow, with the explosive and flame arrows. Only drawback is that it does have a limited range.

Anybody know what that reggae song was, that blares during the mission where you destroy all of Vaas' marijuana grows with a flamethrower (lmao). That tune was real catchy. If not I will look it up on yt later.