Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Danger 'rising' from extreme right

Uncle Sam

Efforts to limit gun violence and to bring about immigration reform have led to a growing backlash from the extreme right, including the so-called patriot and militia groups, a civil-rights group said Tuesday.

In its latest report, the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks extreme right-wing and hate groups, said that it had counted 1,360 patriot groups in 2012, up about 7% from the 1,274 active in 2011.

That is also a rise of 813% since 2008, the year before President Obama, the nation’s first elected African American president, took office.

The groups include 321 militias, far more than the movement's previous peak in the 1990s, when militias were inflamed by the 1993 Brady Bill to control guns and the 1994 assault rifle ban, the center said.

“Now, in the wake of the mass murder of 26 children and adults at a Connecticut school and the Obama-led gun control efforts that followed, it seems likely that that growth will pick up speed once again,” the center noted.

http://www.presstv.i...ail/292160.html

And everyone kept saying they wouldn't label civilian militias as terrorist groups. I saw this coming from a mile away, the government now sees civilian militias designed to protect the constitution as a threat to national security. Basically they are labeling patriot militias as terrorists...

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 3

Years ago they would have called the vigilantes....whats changed?

The military shots to kill all terrorists if they are labeled so. That includes the law that will allow them to kill terrorists on american soil with drones. They are bundling patriots who protect the constitution with terrorists who use fear and death to control a population...

• Like 3

How long did they think they were gonna get away with raping the constitution before things like this took place? The government is the threat, this is just a reaction to thier tyranny.

• Like 4

How do you figure that? Militias are not vigilantes. These are people who are preparing for a fight against a government who is waging war on us.

• Like 1

terrorist.... the MAGIC word. Speak it and you become all powerful

• Like 3

This almost reminds me of the second term of Bill Clinton when militias were demonized and prosecuted.

Won't be long, and they will give us another Timothy McVeigh and Murrah Building incident....

• Like 1

The military shots to kill all terrorists if they are labeled so. That includes the law that will allow them to kill terrorists on american soil with drones. They are bundling patriots who protect the constitution with terrorists who use fear and death to control a population...

“We are seeing a real and rising threat of domestic terrorism as the number of far-right anti-government groups continues to grow at an astounding pace,

I was referring to people who are not actually far right, but will be called that because they want to protect their homes and families.

• Like 1

[/size]

And everyone kept saying they wouldn't label civilian militias as terrorist groups. I saw this coming from a mile away, the government now sees civilian militias designed to protect the constitution as a threat to national security. Basically they are labeling patriot militias as terrorists...

Your link doesn't work (at least not on my phone), so can you show me where they even used the word "terrorist"?

Your link doesn't work (at least not on my phone), so can you show me where they even used the word "terrorist"?

“We are seeing a real and rising threat of domestic terrorism as the number of far-right anti-government groups continues to grow at an astounding pace,” said Mark Potok, Southern Poverty Law Center senior fellow and author of the report. “It is critically important that the country take this threat seriously. The potential for deadly violence is real, and clearly rising.”

Founded in 1971, the center has been the leading watchdog of the extreme right ever since, monitoring a diverse collection of groups that includes neo-Nazis, white nationalists, black separatists, Holocaust deniers and the patriot and militia movement.

In general, the patriot and militia enthusiasts believe that the U.S. government is seeking to disarm them as a first step to destroying personal liberty and then turning the country over to foreigners seeking world domination. LA Times

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 1

If they refrain from trying to overthrow the government -- and other things of that flavor -- I think they will be left alone. Left-wingers are capable of using scare tactics too but adults usually prevail in these matters.

[/size]

The left always descend into totalitarianism if not kept in check.

First they'll stop them working, then they'll take away their freedoms and finally treat them as criminals all for not agreeing with social/liberal ideology.

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 2

The left always descend into totalitarianism if not kept in check.

First they'll stop them working, then they'll take away their freedoms and finally treat them as criminals all for not agreeing with social/liberal ideology.

The same applies to the right. Just replace "social/liberal" with "conservative."

And how do we know that militias won't turn on fellow civilians who don't agree with them?

What are you talking about?? A vigilante is someone who takes the law into thier own hands acting as judge, jury, and executioner. A militia group is a paramilitary organization whos existence is protected under the constitution. I get that you don't understand much about American culture but this should be obvious.
  • Like 2

If they refrain from trying to overthrow the government -- and other things of that flavor -- I think they will be left alone. Left-wingers are capable of using scare tactics too but adults usually prevail in these matters.

i think santa is real.

Edited by aztek

What are you talking about?? A vigilante is someone who takes the law into thier own hands acting as judge, jury, and executioner. A militia group is a paramilitary organization whos existence is protected under the constitution. I get that you don't understand much about American culture but this should be obvious.

I have already answered that earlier. But yep, you are right, there is a lot i do not understand. Can you explain what "domestic terrorism" means?

For crying out loud, this is from The Southern Poverty Law Center. Everyone is on their terror list.

Heck, if you're white, you're atleast on their " Watch " list.

• Like 2

I have already answered that earlier. But yep, you are right, there is a lot i do not understand. Can you explain what "domestic terrorism" means?

... Violation of ANY federal or state law which endangers human life • .. pretty broad definition huh? It could include Jaywalking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_terrorism_in_the_United_States

Definitions of domestic terrorism

The statutory definition of domestic terrorism in the United States has changed many times over the years; also, it can be argued that acts of domestic terrorism have been occurring since long before any legal definition was set forth.

According to a memo produced by the FBI's Terrorist Research and Analytical Center in 1994, domestic terrorism was defined as "the unlawful use of force or violence, committed by a group(s) of two or more individuals, against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."[2]

Under current United States law, set forth in the USA PATRIOT Act, acts of domestic terrorism are those which: "(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended— (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and © occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States."[3]

Thats an odd statement. You overthrow a Government with a military.

In America we replace a Tyrannical Govmnt if need be. There is a difference. What happens on American soil is American business. Its our govmnt for the People by the People. The day they started calling us terrorists was they day we gained power.

For crying out loud, this is from The Southern Poverty Law Center. Everyone is on their terror list.

Heck, if you're white, you're atleast on their " Watch " list.

You're right. They have no credibility. They were great when they bankrupted criminals and terrorists in the Ku Klux Klan and various real (key word) hate groups. Now, they're a go-to leftist pressure group in the guise of a civil rights watchdog group, and they received very low ratings as a charitable group.

• Like 3

This almost reminds me of the second term of Bill Clinton when militias were demonized and prosecuted.

Won't be long, and they will give us another Timothy McVeigh and Murrah Building incident....

He was just another link in the chain. The Bush administration was too. It's a continuation of a trend to force citizens to act and think like drones (no pun) who see the government like strict Catholics see the pope. It goes beyond political parties, which often seem like two heads of the same statist coin.

• Like 3