Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

syrian conflict escalates.

shrooma

I saw that on T.V, the peacekeepers arn't being threatened they are just stopping them from moving on

QUOTE-

''A young fighter saying he was from

the "Martyrs of Yarmouk" said the

peacekeepers would not be set free

until Syrian government forces

withdrew from the village of

Jamlah, a mile east of the ceasefire

link with the Israeli-occupied

Golan, Reuters reports.

" If no withdrawal is made within

24 hours we will treat them as

prisoners, "

this sounds like a lot more than just 'stopping them from moving on' richard....

Taking UN peace keepers hostage strikes me as dumb (as though the Syrian regime cared) and desperate (as though they can't think of anything better to do. I wish them well in getting rid of Baathism, but wonder what is going on.

Edited by Frank Merton

I wish them well in getting rid of Baathism, but wonder what is going on.

after the same rebel group released footage of themselves executing syrian soldiers earlier this week frank, I shudder to think what could be going on!

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

Well they'd better not make Ban ki Moon angry....they wouldn't like him when he's angry...

• Like 3

I wouldn't put anything past the rebel soldiers including executing the UN peacekeepers. It seems the line is getting blurry between who is the good guy and who is the bad one. Which I guess that would be the first casualty of a civil war.

• Like 1

I wouldn't put anything past the rebel soldiers including executing the UN peacekeepers.

I think, they're aiming to involve israel in the conflict, as they know it would polarise world opinion.

a lot of people don't like the jewish state, and by drawing them into the conflict, they're hoping to garner sympathy for their cause.

israel has already started making noises about encroachment, and if they DO get drawn into it, I can't help but feel they'll be playing into the syrians' hands.....

Given their depends it sounds like this rebel group is being pants on head stupid. Yeah like Assad is going to give a damn about the UN. Seems the other rebel groups are not impressed and have demanded that the peacekeepers be let go.

• Like 1

Seems the other rebel groups are not impressed and have demanded that the peacekeepers be let go.

that's because the other groups know that once you start messing with an UN peacekeeping force, you end up with a whole sh!tstorm raining down on you....

• Like 1

Angry letters...angry letters everywhere!

:P

Well hopefully the other rebels will smack some sense into this bunch and the peacekeepers will be let go soon.

• Like 2

What a stupid move!Their whole basis for getting aid is that they are better than the gov they are trying to help topple.Some things that happen in that region of the world are to dumb to explain :wacko:

• Like 3

So Peacekeepers are held, and Britain has just said yesterday that we shall supply the Rebels with body armour and other gear, Is this Brit Gov't just thick,or just stupid OR BOTH ?...We are slowly getting dragged into this mess when we should keep our big noses out of it.I'm getting sick of us trying to act as world Policemen when we haven't got the resources.Let the Euro's have a go.

• Like 2

I got regular articles from the UK newsstand from a good friend at Oxford when the whole Libyan affair was appearing to be a success, with the proud journalists lining up to make sure everyone understood Britain's 2nd biggest contribution to the bloody thing. Hip Hip...Hooray. The Saxons seem more willing to sit in reserve behind the Normans, keeping their distance but still playing a role in European policies. Maybe France should lead the interventionist charge on this one too.

I don't see anyone leading in this mess. And the reason is that it's a no win. There is no oil and regardless which group comes out on top, the west will have to defend against them in time as well. The place will be a blood sponge for years to come unless Assad crushes his opposition or one group rises to power that can do so. Israel has been the only country to strike a blow and even theyl did so only because of self interest. Strange days when an Assad is the best choice Israel has for a leader in Syria.

Edited by and then

I don't see anyone leading in this mess. And the reason is that it's a no win. There is no oil and regardless which group comes out on top, the west will have to defend against them in time as well. The place will be a blood sponge for years to come unless Assad crushes his opposition or one group rises to power that can do so. Israel has been the only country to strike a blow and even theyl did so only because of self interest. Strange days when an Assad is the best choice Israel has for a leader in Syria.

Don't know that either, but I do know Hamas was the best choice Israel had for a leader in Gaza when the PA was running things and Israel couldn't negotiate with them. Ahmadinejad is a great choice for Iran. People should do with good enough more often because they have no idea how much worse it can get.

Don't know that either, but I do know Hamas was the best choice Israel had for a leader in Gaza when the PA was running things and Israel couldn't negotiate with them. Ahmadinejad is a great choice for Iran. People should do with good enough more often because they have no idea how much worse it can get.

Hamas gained power in Gaza because the PA was corrupt and because they (Hamas) ran on a platform of Israel hatred. The home folks ate it up. So I'm not sure there was any way to negotiate between Israel and Hamas. Hamas MAY get on board the EU Oby gravy train this spring though. Netanyahu is about to get the bum's rush for the door to peace and security. My guess is that the rockets will start from the west bank in less than a year...maybe six months. I really do hope I'm wrong about BOTH those ideas.

I got regular articles from the UK newsstand from a good friend at Oxford when the whole Libyan affair was appearing to be a success, with the proud journalists lining up to make sure everyone understood Britain's 2nd biggest contribution to the bloody thing. Hip Hip...Hooray. The Saxons seem more willing to sit in reserve behind the Normans, keeping their distance but still playing a role in European policies. Maybe France should lead the interventionist charge on this one too.

Hi Yamato, the Frogs (french) cant fight their way out of a paper bag,they have asked for our help in Mali,because the cant manage to contain a few scruffs with rifles.About as much use as an ashtray on a golf trolley.Cheers.
  • Like 2

Syria was once in the French sphere, but that was ages ago. Some intervention by someone is morally called for to stop the bloodshed. If the British do it, it is better if they have help, but someone has to act.

Syria was once in the French sphere, but that was ages ago. Some intervention by someone is morally called for to stop the bloodshed. If the British do it, it is better if they have help, but someone has to act.

The problem is that there are 2 Rebels camps,and they dont like each other so which one do you back ?.If they dispose of the Gov't they will start scrapping with each other to see who is top of the manure heap.Leave well alone is my thoughts.

The trouble is alone is not well.

Agreed, up to a point. The issue of western intervention for humanitarian reasons is fraught with pitfalls though. It seems that this Sunni -Shia/Alawite (and a few other minorities) conflict may only be beginning when Assad goes. The absolute horror that this war has become will only cease when every strong group is beaten down by a stronger one. If European or Brit forces (or, God forbid, US) went in to "quell" this mess the Syrians AND their interloping "neighbors" who are there fighting would all join together for a while to give the "crusaders" a sound thrashing so they could return to their squabbles unhindered by imperialists. It is sick and sad what these men are doing to their women, children and old people. Before they have even consolidated power we have a couple of groups vying for the title of "most likely to destroy Zionism and retake al Quds" THAT little venture would see the end of what was once Syria fora certainty.
  • Like 1

Makes me laugh these exact rebels are who we are funding... lol

On my ipod touch BBC news app, it had an article about this and right above it was another article about us sending them armored vehicles... LOL

Edited by Coffey

Makes me laugh these exact rebels are who we are funding... lol

On my ipod touch BBC news app, it had an article about this and right above it was another article about us sending them armored vehicles... LOL

I'm not even sure anyone knows WHO we are giving aid to. There are several different groups I think. NONE of them trustworthy. It's crazy and depressing.
  • Like 1