Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Car windscreens to display phone calls

Still Waters

Harman's head up display system (HUD) shows the driver things like speed and distance to the car in front, incoming phone calls with the picture of the caller, weather conditions, arrows for navigation, directions and warnings of looming collisions.

This is a large amount of information being delivered into the driver's line of sight but Hans Roth, Harman's Director Technology Marketing, believes the information is delivered seamlessly enough that it won't be distracting nor dangerous.

http://www.telegraph...nformation.html

Well, I'm glad it includes warnings of looming collisions, since they'll surely be so distracted by all the rest of it that there will be plenty of looming collisions.

• Like 2

the data showed will be pretty much same data we have on multiple screens now. now we need to take our eyes off the road and look at dashboard, nav, sound sys...

don't see how it'll be any more dangerous and distracting than it is now, i had a car with hud, loved it, almost never had to look at the dash, to see speeed, or how much gas i had left.

Edited by aztek

Speed and looming collisions are one thing but people need to drive not be talking on the phone or looking at the picture of the person calling.

the data showed will be pretty much same data we have on multiple screens now. now we need to take our eyes off the road and look at dashboard, nav, sound sys...

don't see how it'll be any more dangerous and distracting than it is now, i had a car with hud, loved it, almost never had to look at the dash, to see speeed, or how much gas i had left.

yes, for speed & things like that, it's sensible, but phone calls? Pictures of the person calling? Can that be anything other than a pointless distraction?

One advantage to taking your eyes off the road and 'down' to your dash is that it helps prevent "White line fever"... That almost hypnotic trance-like state you sometimes get from staring at the road for too long...

Hopefully this will not clutter up the windshield with TMI, and obscure some part of the roadway... And I agree about cell phones,etc... either drive - or call your friends to chat...