Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lion kills woman at California big cat park

Still Waters

A lion has killed a volunteer intern at a private big cat park near Fresno, California, officials say.

Dianna Hanson, 26, was attacked and killed when she entered the lion's enclosure, Project Survival founder Dale Anderson said in a statement.

Fresno County police say they found her severely injured, still lying inside the enclosure with the lion nearby.

Deputies shot and killed the animal so they could reach her but she died at the scene, a police spokesman said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-21693683

I blame the idiots who caused them to have to open a park in the first place. They shouldn't have had to rescue big cats from owners and run down zoos. Big cats belong in the wild.

• Like 2

If my kitty cat was as big as a lion I wouldn't play with it or go in a cage with it.. I am sure the lion was playing and was being a cat. Every time I see people going into lion cages and messing about with them I think how many times my cat has clawed me good by mistake while playing.

• Like 1

I agree Darkwind, the similarities between the behaviors of wild and domestic cats are so remarkable. So, what happens when scratching a big cats belly and he decides to act out, like domestic cats?

But I also, being a domestic cat owner/lover, understand the attraction of wanting to badly interact with a big cat!

• Like 1

I wonder what she was doing in the enclosure??? I feel really sad for her family but the lion was only doing what come naturally to it. Like the above poster said, I'd love to get up close and cuddle a big lion..... but you just don't! Especially after being told she wasn't allowed in the enclose (from what her dad said).

I wonder what she was doing in the enclosure??? I feel really sad for her family but the lion was only doing what come naturally to it. Like the above poster said, I'd love to get up close and cuddle a big lion..... but you just don't! Especially after being told she wasn't allowed in the enclose (from what her dad said).

What does come naturally?

• Like 1

What does come naturally?

Oh my gosh! One of the most amazing and saddest things ever!! Thanks for sharing that video.

Edited by Moon Gazer

Cat have a strong maternal instinct, if they lose their kittens they will adopt other baby animals. It doesn't happen very often in the wild, but it does happen.

I agree Darkwind, the similarities between the behaviors of wild and domestic cats are so remarkable. So, what happens when scratching a big cats belly and he decides to act out, like domestic cats?

But I also, being a domestic cat owner/lover, understand the attraction of wanting to badly interact with a big cat!

The only difference between a domestic cat and a wild cat in my opinion, is size (unless of course your one of those selfish people that de-claw or imprison your cat)

i would never approach a predatory animal .. even a wolf can be dangerous

let alone a lion .. that's just cheer stupidity

if you see a wild predator be on the other side of bars or road

Update -

A California coroner says a lion that killed a volunteer at a big cat park used its paw to lift a partially closed door and escape from a feeding cage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-21708741