Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Old-fashioned sweet shop a hit

Still Waters

Walking into Edward and Vintage confectionery shop and you could be forgiven for thinking you have stepped back in time.

Stacked from floor to ceiling are glass jars full of sweets and bonbons - pear drops, rosy apples, lions wine gums and sherbert lemons are just a few of the 350 different chunks of nostalgia being sold by the bag - each one igniting another childhood memory.

And it's not just the sweets, fudge and chocolates which are old-fashioned.

http://www.dailymail...-customers.html

• Like 1

Candy!(Screams)

Actually, I'm not such a fan of candy, but I can't help but scream it out when I see something like that.

Nice to see,a reminder of simpler and better times,I use to stop on the way to School and buy my Quarter of pear drops every day.

Good to see in this processed and mass produced world we live in.

People like any thing old fashioned it brings us bak to when times where simple

Do they accept "old" money ? I have some ha'pennies and farthings.

• Like 1

How sweet!

I don't recognize the candy names being a yank, but I love the shop. We need more like this!

The addition ice cream parlor sounds like a good idea too.

Great old stone home. We don't see those much here.

Edited by QuiteContrary

That looks fantastic. I am in Derbyshire later this year, a visit might be on the cards!

Do they accept "old" money ? I have some ha'pennies and farthings.

I think you'll need more than your halfpennies now...In these Olde Worlde Sweetie Shoppes you'll find the sweets nearer a £1 a quarter pound or 100 times more than they were when words had an 'e' stuck on the end of them.

The first thing I look for when we see the the old type markets, like the ones in Skipton, Halifax (Peace Hall), Bingley... etc.. Are the old type sweets, normally a £1 a bag.

Great article, I will certainly pay them a visit, this summer.

'Our top-selling sweets are Pink Champagne, Dandelion and Burdock and handmade Rhubarb and Custard.'

I used to like Dandelion and Burdock as a soft drink. (bottle of pop) I haven't seen it in years!

Boiled sweets like pear drops, pineapple chunks, they'd take out of large bottles and weigh before emptying into a paper bag. It used to be a quarter lb. I remember some shops would have cone shaped bags that they twisted the tops of before they handed them to you.

In my local shop they'd have a penny (1d) tray which you could help yourself from. Everything on it cost one old penny (1d) each..........the good old days :lol:

That tank top the guy in the article is wearing - I used to have one just like that! Same colours too :w00t:

The first thing I look for when we see the the old type markets, like the ones in Skipton, Halifax (Peace Hall), Bingley... etc.. Are the old type sweets, normally a £1 a bag.

Great article, I will certainly pay them a visit, this summer.

I was going to say there are quite a few near me. I live in Leeds and a lot of our family days out are places in the Yorkshire Dales and Moors and lots of villages have things like this. I love them (and so do the kids!), can spend a fortune in them!

'Our top-selling sweets are Pink Champagne, Dandelion and Burdock and handmade Rhubarb and Custard.'

I used to like Dandelion and Burdock as a soft drink. (bottle of pop) I haven't seen it in years!

Boiled sweets like pear drops, pineapple chunks, they'd take out of large bottles and weigh before emptying into a paper bag. It used to be a quarter lb. I remember some shops would have cone shaped bags that they twisted the tops of before they handed them to you.

In my local shop they'd have a penny (1d) tray which you could help yourself from. Everything on it cost one old penny (1d) each..........the good old days :lol:

That tank top the guy in the article is wearing - I used to have one just like that! Same colours too :w00t:

We get a bottle of dandelion and burdock and a bottle of cream soda every week from the pop man, they are my guilty pleasure. Drink water the rest of the time lol.

I was going to say there are quite a few near me. I live in Leeds and a lot of our family days out are places in the Yorkshire Dales and Moors and lots of villages have things like this. I love them (and so do the kids!), can spend a fortune in them!

More or less neighbours.. I am on the outskirts of the Haworth moors.

• Like 1

More or less neighbours.. I am on the outskirts of the Haworth moors.

Oooh lovely area, I love Haworth! It's kind of become a yearly ritual now to go on the santa special steam railway trip to Haworth with the kids, pub lunch followed by a walk on the moors :)

• Like 1