Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teachers to wear guns in South Dakota

Still Waters

Ive never personally been for guns in classrooms. It just seems like the whole turning your homework in late thing could get dicey. But guns in schools is different if concealed and away direct contact with children. I dont want to see them learning under the threat of the gun. That cant be healthy. Hopefully we will quickly grow beyond this mindset.

Ive never personally been for guns in classrooms. It just seems like the whole turning your homework in late thing could get dicey. But guns in schools is different if concealed and away direct contact with children. I dont want to see them learning under the threat of the gun. That cant be healthy. Hopefully we will quickly grow beyond this mindset.

concealed weapons would be even worse, the classroom atmosphere would be paranoia

what I wouldn't give to be there at the future School reunions of these kids ....

• Like 1

concealed weapons would be even worse

I hear you and agree with you it would be great if this National debate never was needed but somehow we got faced with a decade + of school shootings and people/states are grappling with ways to ensure the safety of our most precious asset. Our children. Your going to see the whole spectrum of solutions across the 50 States I predict.

I have heard this talked about and "they" say is "they" do not have a solution yet to this problem of school shootings and any attempt at trying to solve it is better then no attempt. I guess I can understand that part of it. Wether I agree with the solution or not being presented by a particular county or school district I can itleast say there trying to do something. Hopefully we will find amongst all these differing solutions a model that fits Americas needs and keeps a healthy learning envoronment for our children at the same time. But thats not gonna happen for several years yet I would think.

• Like 1

I dunno; seems like in the States there are guns everywhere. If you can't control them, then you need to protect the kids against them. It is a bad solution to a worse problem.

More civilized countries just don't have all the guns around. This applies in most of Asia and Europe.

certification ?

what is that ?

a license to kill on school compound enclosure and its adjacent vicinity ?

how far does a lethal stray bullet flies I wonder ?

A certification of competence and good sense with a firearm.

concealed weapons would be even worse, the classroom atmosphere would be paranoia

what I wouldn't give to be there at the future School reunions of these kids ....

The real paranoia is knowing that if a loon opens fire in the school that no one is there to fire back. Seems like you're playing the odds that nothing bad will ever happen to me and while I generally share that sentiment most of the time I also don't have anything against better safe than sorry.

The only kids who will be going to school paranoid of their teachers are the ones who have parents that spend their time scaring the crap out of their kids sheltering them from the world.

This is a disaster of multiple proportions. Let's say you have a crazed gunman at a school. Law enforcement officiers arrive and see a person brandishing a gun and shoot him ... oops, it was a teacher and not the bad guy.

• Like 1

If you want to protect your children from gun-toting lunatics, in school or anywhere else, take away the guns.

(Exceptions for farmers and hunters).

If you want to protect your children from gun-toting lunatics, in school or anywhere else, take away the guns.

(Exceptions for farmers and hunters).

Go look at Alaskas gun crimes. ( ratio to population / per capita ).....Alaskas has the most leniant gun laws in the US, and they are doing just fine.

Taking guns away will not work, as this has been discussed in about 100 different topics now on UM alone since Sandy Hook.

Take the gun control topic to a gun control topic, I am sure the search will lead you to many of them.

I dunno; seems like in the States there are guns everywhere. If you can't control them, then you need to protect the kids against them. It is a bad solution to a worse problem.

More civilized countries just don't have all the guns around. This applies in most of Asia and Europe.

Gimme a break with your civilized bs. You've been to the states. Was it the wild Wild West? Did you see guns everywhere you went. Did you even see anything bad happen?

This is a disaster of multiple proportions. Let's say you have a crazed gunman at a school. Law enforcement officiers arrive and see a person brandishing a gun and shoot him ... oops, it was a teacher and not the bad guy.

They would not need to, as they would have all ready been informed of the crazed gunman being apprehended, or shot......" communication ", and Police do not just go in guns a blazing, real life is not like Hollywood.

• Like 1

more civilized????, lol, good one,

So far what I'm seeing is nothing good is going to come out of this 'solution' to who is going to be sorrier than the sorry 'I told you so' stand off in the end.

Mr_Fess can call be blind but I sure as hell won't be called stupid or ignorant if I don't see any of this leading up or ending up anywhere pretty ....

Gimme a break with your civilized bs. You've been to the states. Was it the wild Wild West? Did you see guns everywhere you went. Did you even see anything bad happen?

Civilization is a matter of subjective opinion. I like the States, but I would not live there. Many reasons and this is not the place, but don't you feel the decline going on all around you? The guns are a part of this.Guns are in my opinion a necessary evil, but to be had only when necessary -- really necessary. I would never have one around me. I had enough of them when I was young.

Civilization is a matter of subjective opinion. I like the States, but I would not live there. Many reasons and this is not the place, but don't you feel the decline going on all around you? The guns are a part of this.Guns are in my opinion a necessary evil, but to be had only when necessary -- really necessary. I would never have one around me. I had enough of them when I was young.

Guns are an indirect problem to other issues such as inner city family values lack of education and lack of respect for life and property. Inner cities account for the majority of crime. Guns have been around in good times and bad.

So if guns were limited as you'd like, how do you suppose they'd be around when they're necessary? Exactly. They won't. That's why we like to have them, if we want we are able to, at any given time that we need. You never know when they'll be necessary.

• Like 1

Gun crime is a symptom.

Hell, we had a bloke with a gun in Queen's Street Mall in Queensland on Friday. Why was he there? Because he had a psychological disorder and had been pushed to the limits and his disorder despite being diagnosed hadn't been treated because he wasn't a severe enough case.

If it ain't smoking it's just a gun

I read that somewhere ..... don't remember where

" Teachers wearing guns ".......I remember a few teachers I wish wore nothing to work :)

717.jpg

Edited by Sakari

I've worked with a former professional cheerleader who became a teacher.

No other comment.

No other comment.

Lucky kids.......

Didnt she get in some hot water..or am I thinking of a different cheerleader turned teacher

Lucky kids.......

They were five, they didn't really notice.

The male staff members OTOH ...

Didnt she get in some hot water..or am I thinking of a different cheerleader turned teacher

I seriously doubt we're talking the same cheerleader - I'm in Oz for starters.

Well, I hope that this idea works. And that we don't get any reports about a school employee going postal. However, a point that's not been clarified does irk slightly. In order for this policy to be effective, are the teacher/ janitor/ whatever appointed firearm carrier/ going to carry their weapon concealed or openly? I ask because if this policy is to be a deterrent, and yes, it'll depend on the local school board, then perhaps having the weapon secured until use has to be raised as a matter of form. And even then, and yes this next bit is more to do with the culture of firearms in the US, would it be readily accepted to see not only police carrying sidearms but also Miss Simpkon's also armed as she teaches a class?

Guns are an indirect problem to other issues such as inner city family values lack of education and lack of respect for life and property. Inner cities account for the majority of crime. Guns have been around in good times and bad.

So if guns were limited as you'd like, how do you suppose they'd be around when they're necessary? Exactly. They won't. That's why we like to have them, if we want we are able to, at any given time that we need. You never know when they'll be necessary.

I think having a gun around is far more likely to make any problem worse than to help. It is simply ego gratification to think you can protect yourself that way; criminals are far more experienced with violence than you are so that the presence of a gun is likely to do nothing more than infuriate the criminal and get you killed.

Further, guns greatly increase the chance of accidental killing, a suicide at a moment of despair when the absence of a gun would provide a chance for the despair to pass, a murder in a moment of extreme anger when again the absence of a gun would provide some time for the anger to pass.

Edited by Frank Merton

that is dumb, how would an armed teacher made things even worst, that they were at sandy hook???? or any other school that has such shooting.

criminal are more experienced with violence than you, is even dumber, so that means we just roll over, and let them violate us, and not try to protect ourselves.?????

criminal would back off in 99% cases if potential victim is armed, it happens in real world all the time, but sheep's have no ability to see it.

it only takes one assault\rape\robbery to turn a gun hatter into a gun lover, that too happens quite often, but guess some need to feel it themselves. oh well, their choice.