Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Explain this one to me...

RaisingCain

So I'm walking two friends, after walking a third friend home. It's late about 1:15 am at night, not that that was a bad thing because I wanted to get out of the house for a bit anyway.

We were chatting among ourselves, not in any deep discussion or anything, when we all stop and remain silent for a good thirty seconds. Dumbfounded. Why? Because we'd just seen a flash in the sky, come from a centralized ball of light. It was bright enough to light up the whole god-damn sky, but then it was gone as quickly as it came.

I'm not saying it was a U.F.O or anything, it was just weird, that's all. I believe in the unexplained, that there is more then what meets the eye; but it could have been a number of things.

Like the sensible creatures we are, we all tried to debunk it. Space junk? Couldn't have been, it was the color of electricity, and it came from a large, stationary ball. Naturally our wanderings turned to ball lightning and while that might have been so, it doesn't seem to fit. From my understanding, ball-lightning occurs during a storm or at least stormy weather. It was a nice night out, with only light cloud over. You could even see stars poking through in places. Again, could have been ball lightning-and if so we were all very lucky to witness that- but it just doesn't seem to match up.

Now, I'm a great believer of the paranormal. I've even been on paranormal investigations before, and I believe that nothing should be claimed as paranormal until all other explanations have been considered and debunked. But I'm stumped on this one. We were all looking in the same rough position, it was directly in front of us and not far away. All three of us have the same story, and all three of us have no clue what went on. But I'm hoping some of you guys might.

I'm sure there's loads of people on here who are smarter, experienced -or both- then me on this subject. I've had a quick look of the internet since I got home, and found nothing that fit the story, except for some dodgy E.T stories which I am reluctant to pay much attention to.

Hi there, by the way! First post on this site :P

Edited by RaisingCain

And welcome to UM!

Its going to be pretty hard for anyone to explain it without them having seen it too! Sometimes things are just "unknown" and cant be fully explained. Ive seen a number of 'unknowns' in my life, including daytime 'thingies' in the skies.

BTW see some links here for anything similar to your sighting

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flash+in+the+sky&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs

• Like 1

hi and welcome!

i don't have any suggestions for you on what you could have seen but i appreciate that you related it in a logical manner.

i wish more people did ;)

• Like 1

Welcome to the group, RaisingCain; It could have been a bright meteor (fireball) that happened to be traveling along your line of sight, either directly toward you, or directly away from you. This isn't too likely to happen, of course, but given the large number of reported fireballs, it's reasonable that this would happen occasionally.

Edited by bison

Welcome to the group, RaisingCain; It could have been a bright meteor (fireball) that happened to be traveling along your line of sight, either directly toward you, or directly away from you. This isn't too likely to happen, of course, but given the large number of reported fireballs, it's reasonable that this would happen occasionally.

Plausible, and probably likely. But wouldn't a meteor have had something of a redish hue, from the fire and burning up in the atmosphere?

Plausible, and probably likely. But wouldn't a meteor have had something of a redish hue, from the fire and burning up in the atmosphere?

well I guess color is down to composition, personally Ive seen a number of shooting stars, and 3 of them, years apart - were glowing green. Mind you - you dont get a second look, quick flash and they're gone. But Ive also seen a couple 'typical star' color, just sort of silvery bright/white, the color of electric sparks.

Almost all colors of the spectrum have been reported. Speed of the object, and the mineral composition are the main determining factors. I saw a very bright one, as a child, that had many different colors in it, as it streamed along.

Positive lightning is particularly dangerous, because it frequently strikes away from the rain core, either ahead or behind the thunderstorm. It can strike as far as 5 or 10 miles (8 or 16 kilometers) from the storm, in areas that most people do not consider to be a lightning-risk area.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0623_040623_lightningfacts_2.html

Just a fun fact....

I think you saw a Meteor. I was lucky enough to see one many years ago, when it " exploded" the entire Carson Valley lit up.

My first thought when I read you're story was Ball Lightning { like what Sakari described }, ahead of or trailing a thunderstorm. Other than that if you are in any kind of a siesmic area, energy can be released in the form of colored lights, only these usually resemble northern lights, rather than lightning. Also welcome to the discussions.

Was totally a UFO lmao most people on this site are afraid to even use the word but if it came from a stationary object not flying across the sky (like a meteorite would) and there was no weather conditions that would make it ball lightning,.... it was a UFO man.

If you eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

By the way i think it's funny how people on this site are so quick to dismiss UFO's and especially an alien UFO but they will mention Ball lightning. I mean first off it's not a scientifically proven thing, so Ball lightning may not even exist! but Math shows that aliens surly do exist not to mention the millions of reports of UFO's, Abductions and cattle mutilations. I personally don't believe in Ball lightning because when you think about it why would lightning make a ball anyways!?!? and how would it?!?. Anyways that's just my two cents.

Peace - CT

Edited by CT1993

First off, no one has dismissed the possibility of it being alien in nature. Second, Ball Lightning while it has not been proven and has been similarly reproduced in a laboratory.

Edited by Royal

Sounds like a possible Iridium flare to me. I've seen them many times and it shocks the hell out of people when they see it the first time. They are very predictable if you look them up on a satellite tracking site

Edited by synchronomy

I considered an Iridium satellite flare, too, but discarded it. These flares involve sunlight reflecting off the mirror-like surfaces of the satellites. They are typically seen during the hours immediately after sunset, or before sunrise. This is when two conditions prevail: 1.) The satellites are exposed to sunlight, and 2.) ]Their flashes are especially conspicuous in the dark. The report of the flash in the original post gave the time as past 1 a.m. An Iridium satellite within viewing range at that time would be in Earth's shadow, and so would not flash.

I considered an Iridium satellite flare, too, but discarded it. These flares involve sunlight reflecting off the mirror-like surfaces of the satellites. They are typically seen during the hours immediately after sunset, or before sunrise. This is when two conditions prevail: 1.) The satellites are exposed to sunlight, and 2.) ]Their flashes are especially conspicuous in the dark. The report of the flash in the original post gave the time as past 1 a.m. An Iridium satellite within viewing range at that time would be in Earth's shadow, and so would not flash.

Nope, please check Iridium data (synchronomy provided a link); they are visible at all hours, including during daylight

Nope, please check Iridium data (synchronomy provided a link); they are visible at all hours, including during daylight

I know that the flashes might be seen in the daytime. They should still be more obvious at night. I still believe that they would not flash in the middle of the night, due to the satellite being in Earth's shadow. That was my main point, in connection with the 1:15 a.m. report of an unidentified flash of light. Added note. Checked all Iridium satellite passes for my location for the next week. None occurred with the sun more than 14 degrees below the horizon. Edited by bison

I know that the flashes might be seen in the daytime. They should still be more obvious at night. I still believe that they would not flash in the middle of the night, due to the satellite being in Earth's shadow. That was my main point, in connection with the 1:15 a.m. report of an unidentified flash of light.

Again, check data for Iridium's, a snapshot of upcoming flares for my location

post-28757-0-41081000-1362942319_thumb.g

Was totally a UFO lmao most people on this site are afraid to even use the word but if it came from a stationary object not flying across the sky (like a meteorite would) and there was no weather conditions that would make it ball lightning,.... it was a UFO man.

If you eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

By the way i think it's funny how people on this site are so quick to dismiss UFO's and especially an alien UFO but they will mention Ball lightning. I mean first off it's not a scientifically proven thing, so Ball lightning may not even exist! but Math shows that aliens surly do exist not to mention the millions of reports of UFO's, Abductions and cattle mutilations. I personally don't believe in Ball lightning because when you think about it why would lightning make a ball anyways!?!? and how would it?!?. Anyways that's just my two cents.

Peace - CT

It was a UFO.....

UFO = " Unidentified Flying Object "

Not one person here said it is not that. We are giving rational, and realistic explanations of things that we know exist, and that we know are misidentified as a alien space ship.

People need to educate themselves, not sure who to blame, other then people using television shows to educate themselves.

" UFO " does not mean a alien ship...... :no:

You need to research more on ball lightning, and " cow mutilations ".....Learn grasshopper, learn.

Also, where does math prove aliens exist?

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

Thats interesting actually! I saw something very similar once when i was a teenager! I was walking with a friend in outter eastern melbourne at around 11 one night. Same thing, it was a flash of bright blue light that lit the entire sky coming from a circle shape that burned into my vision. All the power in the industrial state flashed off.... I just chopped it up to lightning, silent, blue, circular lightning...

Again, check data for Iridium's, a snapshot of upcoming flares for my location

post-28757-0-41081000-1362942319_thumb.g

Yes, checked your table of Iridium flashes. All occur with the Sun either above the horizon or no more than 29 degree below the horizon. For those with the Sun below the horizon, that's within just under two hours after sunset or before sunrise. The Sun altitude is given in the last column on the right. Edited by bison

It was a UFO.....

Not one person here said it is not that. We are giving rational, and realistic explanations of things that we know exist, and that we know are misidentified as a alien space ship.

People need to educate themselves, not sure who to blame, other then people using television shows to educate themselves.

You need to research more on ball lightning, and " cow mutilations ".....Learn grasshopper, learn.

It was a UFO.....

Yes i heard it all before i research this stuff all the time, i too don't just believe what the TV say's i look it up and see where they get the facts from and come to my own conclusion.

And as for the math have you ever heard of Drakes equation? The mathmatical equation used to determine how much extraterestial life can be detected in The Milky Way Galaxy.

Yes i heard it all before i research this stuff all the time, i too don't just believe what the TV say's i look it up and see where they get the facts from and come to my own conclusion.

And as for the math have you ever heard of Drakes equation? The mathmatical equation used to determine how much extraterestial life can be detected in The Milky Way Galaxy.

The " equation " you are talking about is other planets that can sustain life. There is no math equation that says there are sophisticated humanoids, reptilians, or any other civilaztion building flying saucers to visit Earth. Traveling from any of these solar systems to earth is a entire math equation itself. One that is not what " fits " what people think about us being visited all the time.

The Drake equation was never meant as a mathmatical definite,merely as a tool for discussion.

So ITa all about how one Looks at it ? An Alien could very well be who Flys a UFO,just as can a Human flys a UFO. So there you would have UFO = Alien Pilot,or any guess to whom Flys it ? There now you can See that its all in the way one wishes to Look at it.

ANd Welcome "RaisingCain" UFO`s Look just as Kool from Down under too ! :tu:

justDONTEATUS

Why? Because we'd just seen a flash in the sky, come from a centralized ball of light. It was bright enough to light up the whole god-damn sky, but then it was gone as quickly as it came.

Hi RaisingCain

Sorry to snip the rest, but wanted to focus on this, was it fairly instantaneous? You red description of "red" and "lightning" had me thinking of atmospheric sprites, which tend to be reddish orange sometimes with blue tendrils hanging below, whilst their duration is very brief, long duration is considered tens of seconds. They do put on an impressive light show, often preceded by a halo before the discharge. Could this be what you have seen?

This is a sprite photographed from the ISS

Sprite_seen_from_space.jpg

This is an amateur capture - see the red string leading to the luminous discharge? As I said very short duration, this I think is a very luck capture.

11438d1192682886-sprite-caught-video-sprite.jpg

And the illustrations of what they would look like of we could freeze one complete with halo

078777-sprites.jpgsprite.gif

Candidate maybe?

Cheers, and welcome to UM.

Yes at this point in time it is a UFO, and I do not think anyone here has a problems with that? Let's see a show of hands for anyone who says this is not a UFO.

More appropriate than you realise. As Sherlock Holmes is indeed a fictional character.

Peace - CT

ET is heavily questioned because the main source of information seems to be entertainment mediums and crackpots. There are not millions of reports, and certainly none verified, they are just claims, also known as stories. Do you honestly think that every person who says they have seen an alien has?

Why would ball lighting be round? Why is everything round? From stars and planets down to atoms. Attraction.

Have you heard of Fermi's paradox?

• Like 1