Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does shooting goats save soldiers' lives?

Still Waters

The Pentagon must come up with plans to phase out maiming animals during military instruction. Does shooting pigs and goats really save lives on the battlefield?

The official term is "live tissue training" - a euphemism for mutilating animals so that combat medics can learn how to treat gunshot wounds and other injuries on the battlefield.

Thousands of creatures - mostly goats and pigs - have perished in such sessions. Now, however, the National Defense Authorization Act of 2013 compels American service chiefs to tell Congress how they plan to end the practice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21620521

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• Rafterman

• Still Waters

• RaisingCain

Men who stare at goats had this to say, and that's supposedly a true story:

"Goat Lab was originally created as a secret laboratory, ...to provide in-the-field surgical training for Special Forces soldiers. The goats would get shot in the leg with a bolt gun...and then a trainee would have to dress the wound successfully. Goat lab actually used to be called Dog Lab. But it turned out most soldiers didn't feel good shooting dogs in the leg. The army, though, had long felt fine about doing stuff to goats."

But whether the movie is legit or not, it does sort of make sense, though I do think that shooting animals like that is wrong. Nothing like learning to treat a bullet hole with an actual bullet hole. And it's not like they're going to shoot live people to dress the wound. That, that might be considered cruelty. It's not like the American government-or any government mind you-, would be cruel to anyone.. would they? :P

So the gun control mantra of "if it saves just one life" doesn't apply in this case I guess.

I wish someone would issue a pamphlet or something that explains when it can be used and when it can't.

I'd use death row inmates more realistic. Boo to that cruel and unusual punishment :P

• Like 1

So the gun control mantra of "if it saves just one life" doesn't apply in this case I guess.

I wish someone would issue a pamphlet or something that explains when it can be used and when it can't.

What does this have to do with gun control?

What does this have to do with gun control?

Perhaps you've been living in a cave since Sandy Hook, but apparently we're supposed to all be supportive of any action, practice, or law if it "saves just one life".

In this case, if only one soldier can be saved by actions learned treating injured goats, then we must do it.

You're assuming that every single person who wants gun control wants it for the same reason, and they also have the exact same set of beliefs. That is clearly an illogical and irrational approach to the situation and is useful for nothing more than to vilify an entire group of people based on one belief.