Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teachers union strike

F3SS

UNION TACTICS: OHIO TOWN LITTERED WITH FLYERS CONTAINING PERSONAL INFO OF SO-CALLED ‘SCABS’

A teachers strike in Strongsville, Ohio, has entered day five — and things are starting to get ugly.

Parma, a town located near Strongsville, was littered with flyers outing a so-called “scab” (i.e. a person substituting in place of one of the union members).

“I got a letter about four in the afternoon Wednesday,” Parma resident Dan Dubecky told Fox 8 Cleveland.

“It starts off by saying, ‘Do you know a scab lives in your neighborhood?’ It gives the gentleman’s name, his address, his telephone number, personal information. And then it says, ‘Why is he a scab?’ And it talks about him crossing the picket line in Strongsville,” said Dubecky.

Approximately 400 teachers are currently on strike, according to the report.

“When I walked down my street, it looks like everybody has one,” Dubecky added, referring to the flyers.

He says he can understand the teachers’ frustration, but he also thinks outing the substitute is just plain dangerous.

“Who knows what this guy will go through? I don’t know him or his circumstances, but I’m sure he’s just a guy trying to work,” said Dubecky.

A union official told the Fox affiliate that they didn’t know anything about the “scab” flyers and that “things are getting ugly for both sides.”

“It’s not just one-sided. There are teachers and retirees who are coming back to be with us whose cars are getting egged,” said Tracy Linscott, SEA President.

No new talks between the union and the Board of Education have been announced.

“We found out this past week how strong we really are. That we can stand strong and make a statement,” said Linscott.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/08/union-tactics-ohio-town-littered-with-flyers-containing-personal-info-of-so-called-scabs/

Man I tell you, few things make me sicker than these teacher strikes. They say it's about the kids. Pa-lease.

If I were a wealthy man, like Bruce Wayne wealthy because I'd probably have to be, I would make an offer to all the parents of all the kids who currently attend this school district and offer to foot the bill for the kids to attend a private school of their choosing. Any reasonable parent would jump at the offer and hopefully that'd be the majority of them. That would do two things.

-Create an obviously better and merit based learning experience.

-Effectively shut down the public school for at least a year. Thereby giving all those selfish union pricks a lot of time to sit home on their asses and evaluate their priorities.

Remember I said the offer is only for the kids currently attending. The following year the public school would open back up in the public spotlight. My offer would make a historic impact and also would include lucrative job offers for the 'scab' teachers who obviously cared about the kids more. The private schools would definitely consider my recommendation of these teachers a worthy one since I just gave them perhaps two thousand new paying students.

Wether it's true or not is besides the point but this comment from the source page is what inspired my little dream above...

I actually live in Strongsville and have 2 children that go to the schools here!!

It’s a total mess and such a joke. These “teachers” make dropping my kids off a serious hassle (by walking back and forth across the school parking lot entrance, with help from the police and hired security), yell at me in my car to keep my kids home, and are just making a complete embarrassment of this city!

My daughter, who is in kindergarten now, is lucky because her teacher is one of the few (maybe only?) teachers who crossed the picket line and is continuing to teach her class. So at least my daughter’s day is mostly normal, however I know that the High School has over 70+ students in a clas right now, no staff to keep an eye on them, and before the strike there are many reports of the teachers telling students to disobey the subs (scabs), treat them like crap, and create as much trouble as they can!!! Then there are the high school students who have been skipping school to hang out with the teachers, and the police who are right there don’t say a thing!!!

My wife and I didn’t like this school system to begin with, (we both graduated from Strongsville in 1999), but now we are furious and disgusted and have no idea what to do besides private school, which we can’t afford. I just pray that the school board doesn’t give in to these greedy, selfish animals!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/08/union-tactics-ohio-town-littered-with-flyers-containing-personal-info-of-so-called-scabs/

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

Heh, they are lucky they aren't in Michigan... The state could just put in an EFM for the school system, fire them all, and make them start over again.

• Like 1

Teachers are very under paid. They are teaching our future, and they are " babysitting " your kids also. Your children spend more waking hours with the teachers then they do you, and are influenced in life more by school atmospheres.

Maybe everyone should join them, and take away funding from taxes to illegals ( all types of programs help illegals ), and put that towards teachers salaries.

Well crap. Did we give them all CWP's before they went on strike ?

• Like 1

Teachers are very under paid. They are teaching our future, and they are " babysitting " your kids also. Your children spend more waking hours with the teachers then they do you, and are influenced in life more by school atmospheres.

Maybe everyone should join them, and take away funding from taxes to illegals ( all types of programs help illegals ), and put that towards teachers salaries.

Well of you read the quoted comment I put in the op and you want your kids influenced by that rotten behavior than you could opt out of my awesome offer. Seriously though, teachers signed up for the job. It's no secret what they're getting into. They get several months of per year. Plus, like all jobs, you gotta put in your time if you want paid. If the district can't afford them then they should move to greener pastures. Anyways, I'd guess that most of them are content until the union starts mouthing off and riling them up. I'd also guess a good portion of them would go and scab if it weren't for the manufactured stigma attached to it not to mention the intimidation tactics placed upon them. I say good for the scabs. They're the ones who have their priorities straight.

What are CWP's and EFM's?

• Like 3

CWP's

Concealed Weapon Permit

EFM

Emergency Financial Manager ala Detroit recently

Well of you read the quoted comment I put in the op and you want your kids influenced by that rotten behavior than you could opt out of my awesome offer. Seriously though, teachers signed up for the job. It's no secret what they're getting into. They get several months of per year. Plus, like all jobs, you gotta put in your time if you want paid. If the district can't afford them then they should move to greener pastures. Anyways, I'd guess that most of them are content until the union starts mouthing off and riling them up. I'd also guess a good portion of them would go and scab if it weren't for the manufactured stigma attached to it not to mention the intimidation tactics placed upon them. I say good for the scabs. They're the ones who have their priorities straight.

What are CWP's and EFM's?

What?........Ever heard of " year around school '?.....To help with the over crowding?

Are you ok with Truck drivers and Garbage men getting paid more then your childs future? ( and I have a CDL )

Teachers and our Military are under paid, period.

As for " scabs ", a lot of people need work / money. I am not saying that part is right, I am saying I do not blame them for striking, not one bit.

If your teacher had been paid more ( and mine ) your spelling on that bold would have been correct........( that is a joke, I am king of typos and spelling errors on here )

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

nobody blames them for striking, they are blamed for giving away personal info, hope UTF gets sued for every penny they got.

• Like 1

nobody blames them for striking, they are blamed for giving away personal info, hope UTF gets sued for every penny they got.

Don't blame the teachers, blame the Union.

• Like 1

EFM- Emergency Financial Manager.

Basically, the governor can appoint a person to take over a school district or city that is considered in fiscal crisis. The EFM can then go in and do things like dissolve contracts among other things. Detroit is likely getting one for the city, but it already had one for it's school district. A year or two ago the Detroit school EFM fired all the teachers and made them re-apply for their jobs. There are other towns and school districts that have EFM's too.

• Like 1

What?........Ever heard of " year around school '?.....To help with the over crowding?

Are you ok with Truck drivers and Garbage men getting paid more then your childs future? ( and I have a CDL )

Teachers and our Military are under paid, period.

As for " scabs ", a lot of people need work / money. I am not saying that part is right, I am saying I do not blame them for striking, not one bit.

If your teacher had been paid more ( and mine ) your spelling on that bold would have been correct........( that is a joke, I am king of typos and spelling errors on here )

Truck drivers, garbage men... Yea why not? Those jobs are without question essential to our society. So are teachers. So are cops. So are home builders. So are maintenance men. So are plumbers. So are farmers. So are food stores. So asphalt pavers. So are bus drivers. So are lumberjacks. So are doctors. So are, well many other jobs I'm sure. Thing is nobody in any of these professions, which are all important in some aspect, were forced into their respective positions. As for public school teachers, they throw a union manufactured fit just because. They deserve all the money they can get just like any other profession. It's just that they should be paid individually based on merit and student performance. Not for tenure and just because[/].

As for my spelling... I'd like to blame autocorrect for as many misspells as I do for corrections. I spell better in handwriting than I do when typing. I think it's the hands on aspect of writing that enables me to concentrate a bit more. But kudos for pointing it out.

actually teachers are city workers, and salaries of city workers, at least in nyc, are public info, if you know a name of a teacher you can go to a web site, ad see how much they got paid, iirc it goes 5 years back.

Fess you raise good points but one way to win this Govmnt quickly is by work stoppages. So I support mass strikes at this point. And tbh dont think they are widespread enough.

Unless theres a better suggestion to solve the bigger problems going on. This would only be considered a symptom of the greater problem.

I kind of like that EFM thing. Also, in my state I believe it's a CCP instead of a CWP. Concealed carry permit.

As for my spelling... I'd like to blame autocorrect for as many misspells as I do for corrections. I spell better in handwriting than I do when typing. I think it's the hands on aspect of writing that enables me to concentrate a bit more. But kudos for pointing it out.

I was joking, as I said my typos and such are horrid here.

I have not looked at this States pay, I am only going off of States I know, so my reply may have been wrong in this situation.

As for people having a choice in their " profession ", that is another topic all together.

Fess you raise good points but one way to win this Govmnt quickly is by work stoppages. So I support mass strikes at this point. And tbh dont think they are widespread enough.

Unless theres a better suggestion to solve the bigger problems going on. This would only be considered a symptom of the greater problem.

What do you mean 'win this government'?

I was joking, as I said my typos and such are horrid here.

I have not looked at this States pay, I am only going off of States I know, so my reply may have been wrong in this situation.

As for people having a choice in their " profession ", that is another topic all together.

Yea I know. I just feel a need to defend my intelligence when pointed out.

As for the choices, yes probably another topic. I think my frustration is just with union tactics.

What do you mean 'win this government'?

I mean get them to change their petty non helpful legislating ways and erosion of our Constitution or replace them.

Like I asked do you have a better suggestion to keeping our Constitutional Rights ? I dont think mine is an easy solution. Would love to find something better. But there moving real fast to erase the 1st,2nd,4th,and 10th amendments from the Constitution.

Work stoppages get the Govmnts attention and can bring about change or riots. Teachers do not make a living wage they have a right to say so.

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 1

Yea I know. I just feel a need to defend my intelligence when pointed out.

As for the choices, yes probably another topic. I think my frustration is just with union tactics.

I am on a new job, it is Union. I have to pay $60.00 a month, and pay $285.00 a month also for me and the wife through work. Being new, I can not push anything, but I have asked what does this union do for anyone, and where does the money go?...Honestly, I see nothing good with it. ( at least where I am )

And again, sorry about that reply, no insulting was intended.

• Like 1

Are people really trotting out "they only work a few months a year" as a reason for teachers to suck it up and take the money they're given because of the fringe benefits?

Lovely.

Try being a teacher. Seriously. America is one of those "anyone can be a relief teacher" countries isn't it? You don't need teaching qualifications to be be a substitute teacher. Give it a whack if you think we're overpaid or get too many holidays.

Are people really trotting out "they only work a few months a year" as a reason for teachers to suck it up and take the money they're given because of the fringe benefits?

Lovely.

Try being a teacher. Seriously. America is one of those "anyone can be a relief teacher" countries isn't it? You don't need teaching qualifications to be be a substitute teacher. Give it a whack if you think we're overpaid or get too many holidays.

i agree with you, my 2 friends are theachers, they get paid less than half of what i do, and had to deal with these missbehaving, spoiled, little f,,ers. they definatly are underpaid, screw those 3 paid month off, i would not want to be a teacher, even with the pay i get. let alone theirs,

Edited by aztek

you want your kids influenced by that rotten behavior

being part of a union is not rotten behavior. Going on strike is not rotten behavior. Where are these mythical jobs that you can just go get somewhere else? The idea of tenure goes back over a hundred years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenure_%28academic%29 a senior academics contract to not be fired without just cause.

If I remember correctly in past discussions past words and actions mean nothing to the Leftwing Porpaganda Machine ND....just saying.

Lovely.

I just meant that's a benefit few jobs grant. I wouldn't give it a whack. I remember how kids behave in class. Apparently many teachers don't. When they re-realize it they want more. Should've paid more attention when they were young and listened to tales such as this before they applied for the job.

Seriously, I'm diggin' the EFM thing. Don't like it? Start over, reapply or go find a nicer place to teach. That's how every other private job in the entire country works.

• Like 1