Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Can't A Woman Be Pope?

Still Waters

While any Catholic male could theoretically become the next pope, there's one group who's not even in the running: women.

That means as the cardinals enter the Sistine Chapel for conclave, scheduled for Tuesday (March 12), to elect the next pope after the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, women don't have a chance.

http://www.livescien...nt-be-pope.html

Well, since they can't even be priests, it might be a bit ambitious to wonder if one might be Pope any time soon, perhaps.

And why is it taking so long to decide on a new one? It wasn't as if they didn't have plenty of time to get this arranged ready to take over the moment the old one stepped down, was it.

Yeah, no women in the priesthood kind of makes it hard for one to get to Pope status...

I may be wrong but... I thought it went that after the pope passes, or in this case steps down, they are supposed to wait a certain amount of days before getting together for the closed chamber and voting stuff.

I've also come across the hopes that the new Pope will be in place to lead the Easter celebrations, which is at the end of the month. Again, I may be wrong but, I thought after a Pope was chosen there was a couple days worth of tinkering around getting him properly sworn in or whatever they do to make it official.

Sorry if I offended any of the faith with my statement. I'm not sure what any of the proper terms are for the whole process.

While any Catholic male could theoretically become the next pope, there's one group who's not even in the running: women.

That means as the cardinals enter the Sistine Chapel for conclave, scheduled for Tuesday (March 12), to elect the next pope after the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, women don't have a chance.

http://www.livescien...nt-be-pope.html

Most people don't know about this but there was once a woman who was Pope...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan

The story is mostly disbelieved today as folklore but there is one thing that allows me to believe its veracity. That thing is the ritual of testiculos habet et bene pendentes.

The Roman Church, according to legend, stipulated that anyone elected Pope should prove that his genitalia were intact. To this end a special chair was fashioned that had a horseshoe-shaped seat. The Pope to be would sit on the seat and the cardinals would pass by, checking the papal procession and proclaiming: ‘testiculos habet et bene pendentes’. A loose translation being: ‘testicles he has and well-hung ones’.

There is only one reason for this ritual to have started, someone got away with something a long time ago. This ritual was insurance that it would never happen again.

Edited by Jor-el
  • Like 1

You have to be a cardinal first.

I agree the priesthood should be opened up to allow women but my opinion should be less valued compared to someone who is an actual Catholic. It is up to them to change their own religion, not outsiders, but I do support those within that Church that favor greater gender equality.

Simple she's not a man.

You have to be a cardinal first.

I agree the priesthood should be opened up to allow women but my opinion should be less valued compared to someone who is an actual Catholic. It is up to them to change their own religion, not outsiders, but I do support those within that Church that favor greater gender equality.

Wrong. By Catholic law, any male Catholic is eligible and can be elected to "Pope"

What happens is that the intermediary steps you allude to are granted(by council agreement) to that person if they do not previously have them.

Don't know about the woman thing though.

Edited by pallidin

It might be wise to note what gender was beneath the cross on Good Friday, apart from John the Beloved, it was mostly women, where were the rest of the crew?

The whole thing about discrimination of females in any church sucks!

• Like 1

Wrong. By Catholic law, any male Catholic is eligible and can be elected to "Pope"

What happens is that the intermediary steps you allude to are granted(by council agreement) to that person if they do not previously have them.

Don't know about the woman thing though.

The last time a pope was elected who was not a cardinal first was in 1379.

You have to be a cardinal first, you can speak rules, I will speak custom, in the middle a truth will reveal itself. Laity have no chance in hell to be elected is the bottom line.

• Like 1

Think of it philosophically: a woman can be a popess, but the men won't let her. In their world, they never have to complete with women, just with a bunch of cranky old men just like them. Ick, centuries of venality, crime, power-grabbing and greed to clean up. what woman would want the job?

Most people don't know about this but there was once a woman who was Pope...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan

‘testiculos habet et bene pendentes’. A loose translation being: ‘testicles he has and well-hung ones’.

So i guess no lance armstrong for pope then.....Sorry i know that was wrong couldnt help myself :lol:

Women can't become pope because the catholic church says they can't.

Only if you are a Catholic do you believe this is God's will.

Perhaps be radical and actually make a Christian Pope, as apposed to this two millenia long succesion of semi-pagan anti-Christs. However, there will not be a woman Pope for all the reasons made in previous posts, and perhaps mostly because even though the religion of Rome is a corrupt version of paganism, having a priestess is definately pagan. Anyway, strange that in UK they do not seem to understand their own language and have no idea that the feminine of priest is priestess. Still, at least they gradually make their way back to paganism 65a71097ba2c.gif

e2ef129c862b.gife2ef129c862b.gife2ef129c862b.gife2ef129c862b.gif

Perhaps be radical and actually make a Christian Pope, as apposed to this two millenia long succesion of semi-pagan anti-Christs. However, there will not be a woman Pope for all the reasons made in previous posts, and perhaps mostly because even though the religion of Rome is a corrupt version of paganism, having a priestess is definately pagan. Anyway, strange that in UK they do not seem to understand their own language and have no idea that the feminine of priest is priestess. Still, at least they gradually make their way back to paganism 65a71097ba2c.gif

Having priestess' is one of the things I've always liked about paganism. That one fact alone has influence my spiritual beliefs, as it is empowers women when most religions do the opposite.

• Like 3

Having priestess' is one of the things I've always liked about paganism. That one fact alone has influence my spiritual beliefs, as it is empowers women when most religions do the opposite.

Perhaps it is overdue to bring back the worship and High Priestesses of Isis. Was massively popular back in the days..... And perhaps it would mean there would not need to be scandalous video about Cardinal Bertone on youtube. So scandalous that I would never link to here for legal reasons. Surprising youtube have not removed yet.....

Bah! You love us (Catholics) reallly! Paganism? That's a new one on me! How so?

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

Why would they want to be?

Why, in God's name, would any sane women want to!!!?!

• Like 2

Bingo!

• Like 2

That's what I meant, except for the part of gods name.

I don't see how any sane person would want to, man or woman.

Edited by HavocWing

Bah! You love us (Catholics) reallly! Paganism? That's a new one on me! How so?

As a Catholic you are essentially a pagan already. Christ would not recognise what he began in your bells and smells and saints and statues and ikons. And as British you are from a country whose established church engages in the verbal contortion of "women priests". This seems insulting to women, unlike with paganism were it is normal and honourable to be a priestess, and honest.....

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri

As a Catholic you are essentially a pagan already. Christ would not recognise what he began in your bells and smells and saints and statues and icons. And as British you are from a country whose established church engages in the verbal contortion of "women priests". Besides, you are atheists who have wrapped yourselves in the cloak of religion, yet your "god" is simply a man and your trinity is stolen from us to provide yourselves with a fig leaf of decency. 2,000 years you have lied and cheated and killed, yet you have never destroyed the old gods. They sleep in the folk memory of all, and in some they have began to waken these years past. Your time begins to fade atheists, your world collapses around you. We sit to one side and watch and wait.

Who is us? :w00t: Oh my! This is one heck of a post... :P

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

Who is us? :w00t: Oh my! This is one heck of a post... :P

Clearly, and as ridiculous as your "religion". You are quoting a phantom by the way.... 75662a019fe7.gif

Clearly, and as ridiculous as your "religion". You are quoting a phantom by the way.... 75662a019fe7.gif

LOL! That explains it all then B)

• Like 1