Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tories to consider leaving on Human Rights

Commander CMG

The Conservatives would consider leaving the European Convention on Human Rights if they won the 2015 election, the home secretary has said.

Theresa May told an event organised by the ConservativeHome site the party would also scrap the Human Rights Act.

Read More

What possible reason could they want to scrap the human rights act - unless they wanted to abuse someones human rights ?

Br Cornelius

Doesn't surprise me those overprivileged upper class toffs want to abolish human rights if they have their way it'll be back to Victorian values.

• Like 1

i think they hate the right poor people have the right to a family life instead of subservience to a master ,the right to religious freedom because of those damn muslims.the right to a life free from torture because the rich should be able to do what they want as long

as tarquin and charolot are safe .

britain is ****ed until as a nation we get a back bone and stop sucking upper class **** nothing will ever change.

how did we manage before the Human Rights act. pre 1998. -

• Like 2

People use to get beat up because their face didn't fit.

You could always ask these families. Or any number of 'criminals' who were treated the same, back in the day.

I understand that the 'Human Rights Brigade' can be a bit full on and even counter-productive at times, but this is not a valid reason to move backwards as a society. Police abuses are just one of the many vital reasons that human rights laws are a necessity.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

You could always ask these families. Or any number of 'criminals' who were treated the same, back in the day.

I understand that the 'Human Rights Brigade' can be a bit full on and even counter-productive at times, but this is not a valid reason to move backwards as a society. Police abuses are just one of the many vital reasons that human rights laws are a necessity.

its only a move backwards if you think we actually moved forward in the first place. i dont think we did, and i lived quite happily along with millions of others under common British Law, This EU imposed Human Rights act as done nothing, it hasn't enhanced anything. the case you point out and many others like it we could point to was all covered by British Law. - if the Tories win the next election and we was to hold a referendum to leave the EU. by default the Human Rights act would go as well. are we going to implode as a society. No. i'd rather we went back to pre-1998. - we have a situation today whereby we cannot even deport foreign prisoners. because once they leave jail they claim under the human rights act they have the right to remain. or the right to a family life, or in one case the right to remain because he had a pet cat. its an absurd law. lets just be done with it. lets return to pre-1998 and let the continentals live under such a system.

I think the point is Steve that the human rights act removed the discretion to extradite a criminal to a country where they are likely to be tortured or killed. Inconvient I know - but somewhat necessary don't you think ??

This is the main objection levelled by the Tories at the human rights act.

Br Cornelius

Just one reason why I despise the Huma rights: Here

Personally I couldn’t care less if the extradition of a criminal meant they are likely to be tortured or killed once returned back to their country. Human Rights is a loophole for rapists, foreign criminals, terrorists, etc.

• Like 1

Here's the relevant bit in that case;

But despite hearing details of St Angeli’s crimes, a judge last week said he couldn’t see ‘any benefit’ in St Angeli remaining on the register.

It was the magistrates personal decision under a rule allowing a person to request that they be taken off the register.

It wasn't the Human Rights act at fault - it was the magistrate. I suspect that the majestrate might need a careful looking into before been allowed to take such a court case again.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Most cases would not get another hearing in a court if it wasn’t for human rights rulings. People get banged up and then use the Human Rights as a another way out. People like Abu Qatada, sitting pretty with his family at the expense of the tax payer.

People use to get beat up because their face didn't fit.

And that doesnt happen today does it?

Most cases would not get another hearing in a court if it wasn’t for human rights rulings. People get banged up and then use the Human Rights as a another way out. People like Abu Qatada, sitting pretty with his family at the expense of the tax payer.

It all depends on the evidence. If the crime is proven by evidence then there are no loopholes. In this particular case the Judge bizarrely decided that the convicted paedophile was no longer a threat to anyone despite the evidence which showed he had been a chronic offender. Should we be looking at Judges with sympathies for paedophiles - search their computers, checking their web traffic.

The Law is necessary to protect yours and my rights, but if we give the administration of the law to dodgy judges and have no way of removing them from office, who have we got to blame but ourselves.

Br Cornelius

Abu Qatada is a classic example of someone who would be tortured if returned to Egypt. If he has committed a crime then he should be tried for that crime and put in jail - not sent to a dodgy jurisdiction in order to get an inconvenient individual out of the way.

However this is all rather academic since this could only come to pass if the Tory party got into power with a clear majority next time. Its more posturing to the right wing fringe of the party in a vain attempt to win back some of the support which has hemorrhaged to UKIP. More hollow words since the Tories haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning anything other than the town hall bingo next election day.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

What possible reason could they want to scrap the human rights act

1) The fact that the Human Rights (Of The Criminals) Act stands for the human rights of the criminals not the victims. It is, for example, the act which stops scum like Abu Qatada being kicked out of the country and allows him to stay in Britain in a large house and new car paid for by the British taxpayer, the same British taxpayer that Qatada hates and wants Muslims to kill. It's the act which stopped Britain kicking out an Iraqi ILLEGAL immigrant who knocked down a 12 year old girl whilst he was driving whilst disqualified and left her to "die like a dog" and who then went on to commit a string of further offences. Immigration judges ruled that sending him home would breach his right to a ‘private and family life’ as he has now fathered two children in the UK. They completely ignored, however, the right to a family life of the poor family who have lost their little girl.

2) The government knows only too well that three quarters of the British people want Britain to pull out of the ECHR and the Human Rights (Of The Criminals) Act, so they know there are votes in it for them.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 2

Why do we have to go to The Euro Courts of Human Rights everytime some scum foreign criminal shouts for help,then gets FREE Lawyer assistance to keep him in Britain all paid for by our taxes. Criminals should not have Human Rights,they didn't think their Victims had rights when they were committing the crime against them.

• Like 1

Why do we have to go to The Euro Courts of Human Rights everytime some scum foreign criminal shouts for help,then gets FREE Lawyer assistance to keep him in Britain all paid for by our taxes. Criminals should not have Human Rights,they didn't think their Victims had rights when they were committing the crime against them.

Think about that when you next break the speed limit. We are all selective in the laws we follow so one day it might be you who is looking for a defence of your human rights.

Victims receiving justice and criminals recieving punishment are not incompatible - the law punishes the crime nothing more or less.

Br Cornelius

how about the notion of people earning their 'Human Rights' its only when people earn something they truly appreciate it. - give it them without toil and they'll never understand the quality, significance, or magnitude of what it is to earn anything. - when you can have a murderer standing next to the victims family and both are considered equal in terms of their human rights something as gone horribly wrong. in my view the murderer as forfeited their human rights, but then in my view never even earned it in the first place. but then in the land of the green eyed monster were everyone is dragged not up to the highest but the lowest common denominator then society is in serious trouble. and shows just how dangerous the human rights act is.

• Like 1

The murder may be equal in human rights terms - but he will still do his time for the crime he committed.

Your arguments don't really have any baring on the real need for protection from authority abusing your rights.

It strikes me that the real motive for all this is that politicians are in the line of fire for sanctioning extraordinary renditions and could very well end up in prison for that particular crime.

Br Cornelius

Think about that when you next break the speed limit. We are all selective in the laws we follow so one day it might be you who is looking for a defence of your human rights.

Victims receiving justice and criminals recieving punishment are not incompatible - the law punishes the crime nothing more or less.

Br Cornelius

fubar
  • Like 1