Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum pages slow loading

OverSword

I'm communicating with you on a Dell Dimension 4100, I.E. 6, on dial-up.

You guys make me laugh! :)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

I'm communicating with you on a Dell Dimension 4100, I.E. 6, on dial-up.

You guys make me laugh! :)

LMAO :rofl:

I don't know whether it is my browser or some problem with the server. I suppose that as the broweser is Internet Exploiter, it might well be. At any rate, it's still doing it, and it does seem to be just this site. Sometimes it won't load at all, and sometimes it defaults to that "My First Web Site" format with all the font in Times New Roman, like they used to have back in the 90s.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh

No, I've tried it with fire Fox, it's still the same. There's definitely some error or problem.

• Like 1

No, I've tried it with fire Fox, it's still the same. There's definitely some error or problem.

I second that, there is definitely some error or problem

Thirded. Definitely. I have to give up for today, it’s so slow, often gives “this page is not available” message.

The rest of the Internet, well, the pages I visit, work normally for me.

And it won't post this... I'll try for the third time, I apologize if all three attempts show up after a while :D

As I say I don't believe the issue is with our server so I don't think there's anything that can be done, however I've contacted our host again about it in case there is something they can tell me to explain why people are experiencing this.

The last time this issue cropped up it just fixed itself after a few days without us doing anything.

As I say I don't believe the issue is with our server so I don't think there's anything that can be done, however I've contacted our host again about it in case there is something they can tell me to explain why people are experiencing this.

The last time this issue cropped up it just fixed itself after a few days without us doing anything.

It's probably those routers in N. Korea acting up again. :D

I think we are being watched by aliens who have managed to hack into the system to study our posts and discussions on the world we live in.

Surprised they have stayed around for so long! whistle.gif

I think we are being watched by aliens who have managed to hack into the system to study our posts and discussions on the world we live in.

Surprised they have stayed around for so long! whistle.gif

It wouldn't be the first time discussion forums have been hacked. I think the Boston thread might have something to do with it.

• Like 1

Now that the database problem has been fixed I can get back to this again.

I've had a technician from our hosting provider look at the server again to see if there's a problem and like the last time he wasn't able to find anything. There's clearly an issue somewhere because too many people are reporting slow loading times and I'm also seeing similar issues at my end.

The facts as it stands:

1. There is no performance issue with the server hardware.

2. The same slow loading/timeouts were reported about six weeks ago and then vanished within a couple of days without any intervention from us. A technician had also told us at the time that there was nothing wrong with the server that could explain it.

3. The problem doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

4. Some people are affected worse than others - some get timeouts, for others the site just loads slow.

5. The prevailing theory is there's an network/node outside of our hosting provider that keeps experiencing problems resulting in packet loss for some users and that there's nothing we can do aside from waiting for them to fix it.

I'm open at this point to any suggestions from anyone who has any other ideas/theories to explain what might be causing this or what action we can take to resolve it. I imagine we may have some technical minds on the forums who can offer their thoughts on it.

• Like 3

maybe get a time zone charted to isolate the peak periods of complaints then isolate the node mirrors ?

I noticed for the past week or so the some spam bots kinda show up on schedule , around 11pm to 1am and 9am to 11am my time GMT+8

I'm on wireless BB and the slow loads kinda happens on the 'communicating' with the server sending / receiving cycles, the page just pops right up after an initial pause.

~edit : oversight

Edited by third_eye

Google Chrome really speeded things up for me. Having said that tonight I couldn't even load UM at all. Hope it sorts out for you Saru and thanks for your efforts.

Edited by Star of the Sea

3. The problem doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

I find this to be the strange thing about it TBH

I would of thought that some error etc would affect everyone, not just some member's

4. Some people are affected worse than others - some get timeouts, for others the site just loads slow.

Most of the time the site just loads slow, sometimes it load's reeeeal slow and at other times I just close it down due to waiting so long or because it wont load up, no matter how much I try

Just a thought,

Is it possible that somebody is doing this on purpose ? (not trying to start a CT here but it does seem weird)

• Like 1

I find this to be the strange thing about it TBH

I would of thought that some error etc would affect everyone, not just some member's

Most of the time the site just loads slow, sometimes it load's reeeeal slow and at other times I just close it down due to waiting so long or because it wont load up, no matter how much I try

Just a thought,

Is it possible that somebody is doing this on purpose ? (not trying to start a CT here but it does seem weird)

I second this motion. It has happend to quite a few sites that allow conspiracies to be debated recently. Is there any way to find out?

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

Is it possible that somebody is doing this on purpose ?

It's possible, however if it is then it isn't a typical denial of service attack, our incoming traffic is normal.

I noticed for the past week or so the some spam bots kinda show up on schedule , around 11pm to 1am and 9am to 11am my time GMT+8

In order for spam bots to be the cause then they would need to be creating a problem either by there being so many of them that the bandwidth is clogged up (denial of service) or by creating a heavy load on the server. Neither appears to be happening, plus we've been dealing with spam for years without seeing this type of problem.

Having said that tonight I couldn't even load UM at all.

The site was down this evening for a couple of hours due to a problem with the database, however this wasn't related to the speed issue.

• Like 1

I second this motion. It has happend to quite a few sites that allow conspiracies to be debated recently. Is there any way to find out?

Those few sites and what has happened to them is the reason why I was asking plus the fact that IF it was our own PC's or connection's (which at first I was starting to think it might be) it would happen on ALL sites NOT just UM

• Like 1

I was getting this error earlier when accessing the Forum Pages.

post-59968-0-12157700-1366934532_thumb.j

Edited by BiffSplitkins

The site was down for a while earlier due to a problem with the database from what Saru said in post #66

Ah ha! I swear, immediately after the site came back online this afternoon my time, it was 10x faster and it seems to be operating flawlessly now.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Ah ha! I swear, immediately after the site came back online this afternoon my time, it was 10x faster and it seems to be operating flawlessly now.

Wish I could say the same :cry:

• Like 1

Well, I'm pleased to see that a conspiracy theory seems to be being generated.

Does the reply box look different? No icons or anything.

:-?

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh

Well, they seem to be back now. They weren't there a moment ago. This is proof of something, I'm sure.

:cry:

Well, they seem to be back now. They weren't there a moment ago. This is proof of something, I'm sure.

:cry:

OMG!! Colonel !!

They're coming for you !!!

• Like 2

I knew they would follow me back here?

Joking aside.. All is good at this end, I have experienced no problems at all, apart from last night when the server told me I wasn't wanted anymore. I actually thought someone had hacked the site.