Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

E.U. Bans Animal-Tested Cosmetics

Still Waters

European Union regulators announced a ban Monday on the import and sale of cosmetics containing ingredients tested on animals and to pledge more efforts to push other parts of the world, like China, to accept alternatives.

The ban, which will take effect immediately, “gives an important signal on the value that Europe attaches to animal welfare,” Tonio Borg, the E.U. commissioner for health and consumer policy, said in a statement.

http://www.nytimes.c...ients.html?_r=0

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Coffey

• ali smack

• skookum

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, it's about time. :tu:

It is morally the right thing to do no questions asked really.

Unfortunately I started my work life in the cosmetics industry just when the animal testing thing first came out. The right right thing to do is ban animal testing, however it is the expensive thing to do as a cosmetic company. I will not name the one I worked for but they simply moved their labs to Asia to avoid the bad press at the time.

This company also sent all its non-biodegradable (cosmetics and all) waste to a land fill on the Isle of Sheppey fully aware it was illegal. The quantity was at least 4 x 40 foot containers a week with stuff being shipped into England because they had found somebody who would turn a blind eye.

The worry is there is probably no animal welfare restrictions in the countries they will use, the only issue will be cost like above.

Edited by skookum

Well this is one thing I certainly agree with europe about