Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exorcism: Is demonic possession real?

Render

Is demonic possession real?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is demonic possession real?

• Yes
    • No

The belief that demons exist and can possess people is of course the stuff of fiction and horror films — but it is also one of the most widely-held religious beliefs in the world. Most religions claim that humans can be possessed by demonic spirits (the Bible, for example, recounts six instances of Jesus casting out demons), and offer exorcisms to remedy this threat.

The idea that invading spirits are inherently evil is largely a Judeo-Christian concept; many religions and belief systems accept possession by both beneficent and malevolent entities for short periods of time as uncommon — and not especially alarming — aspects of spiritual life. Spiritualism, a religion that flourished across America in the 1800s and is still practiced in a few places today, teaches that death is an illusion and that spirits can possess humans. New Agers have also long embraced a form of possession called channeling, in which spirits of the dead are said to inhabit a medium's body and communicate through them. Hundreds of books, and even some symphonies, have been allegedly composed by spirits.

Real exorcisms

While many Americans think of real exorcisms as relics of the Dark Ages, exorcisms continue to be performed, often on people who are emotionally and mentally disturbed. Whether those undergoing the exorcism are truly possessed by spirits or demons is another matter entirely. Exorcisms are done on people of strong religious faith. To the extent that exorcisms "work," it is due to the power of suggestion and psychology: If you believe you're possessed (and that an exorcism will cure you), then it just might.

http://www.livescience.com/27727-exorcism-facts-and-fiction.html

• Like 1

I do believe there are spirits, an afterlife but as far as possession I'm not sure about that. It could very well be possible but I be a vast majority of people that think they are possessed have mental illness.

Although like mentioned if a person has a strong faith an excorcism might be a powerful faith based psychotherapy.

• Like 1

Although like mentioned if a person has a strong faith an excorcism might be a powerful faith based psychotherapy.

Might being the key word. It was stated as fact above, which would make the thread question moot, if accurate.

Might being the key word. It was stated as fact above, which would make the thread question moot, if accurate.

In milder cases, usually in fundi churches it seems to act as a bit of a confessional. people get to feel forgiving or that their mistakes were not their fault and releif from guilt is the end result. Im Not sure if I agree with it, but psychologically it could have some benefits for the person. But it would have to be built on legitimate faith.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

I believe in it. Peoples behaviour can be affected by any number of outside influences. Temperature, low frequency sounds, magnetic fields, electricity, etc. So if demons exist, which I believe is likely, though many would name them extra dimensional beings, I don't think it would be far fetched that they used these and other tools to influence people.

~ Do I believe demon possession is possible? Yes, I do.

~ Do I believe people can be unwillingly possessed by demons? Leaning towards no, but I would not close the door on that answer

~ Do I believe the majority of exorcisms performed by religious fundamentalists are cases of demon possession? Not at all, they can and do have other causes.

Assuming the answer being asked is the first one, then I'd vote yes. If not, obviously not.

• Like 1

Define real?

• Like 1

That seems logical. The one person I know that went through an exorcism isn't a person of faith, but the exorcism worked. Actually it was a series of exorcisms over several months. I tend to think it was real, but will never know for sure.

I do belive theys real but it gets blown way out of proportions with faces turingg green and walking up side down on the ceiling thats Hollywood's version.

The exorist is based on real story from the 50's.the boy was useing the witch board

By him self talking to his aunt that died

No, no, no.......100% positive no......I tried, many times, sometimes still do when bored, like right now......

" Demons enter my home, enter my soul, enter my body...I know you are all to scared, if you are not show me your not "

( I would type in a bunch of seance stuff, and other things, but, been there, done that )

Anyway, there just did it again......

Edited by Sakari

I was possessed twice by a demon trying to sit on Gods throne, speaking through me, masquerading as God like a babbling fool. His glory (deceit) was short lived! Psychiatry used to call schizophrenia demons. Demon possession has been validated for thousands of years and the demons have not gone away.

Edited by notforgotten

No, no, no.......100% positive no......I tried, many times, sometimes still do when bored, like right now......

" Demons enter my home, enter my soul, enter my body...I know you are all to scared, if you are not show me your not "

( I would type in a bunch of seance stuff, and other things, but, been there, done that )

Anyway, there just did it again......

Now try to make a billion dollars. If you can't, does it still exist? You can say 100% that you could not make a billion dollars, endlessly try as you might. You can't say 100% that that billion does not exist, simply because you couldn't find a way to bring it to you. Tell that to the billionaire with the demon on his back.

Think about it in terms of cognitive psychology. If a person truly believes that they are possessed, and that demons exist, then to them, that is in fact reality. Thus whether or not demons actually exist is really arbitrary, because each individual perceives everything in their own way, and has their own unique reality in every aspect of life.

• Like 1

Im Indian so ,ive met ppl who have claomed to be possessed ,after going through spiritual methods of remedy many recover,

many ppl who do not believe go for psychiatric assessments and treatments,

ppl taking antidepressents benefit becuse depression is common complaint for those possessed or claiming to be possessed

having company of friends and family members is useful becuse those possessed complain of fear and loneliness,

compassion ,support fath good food exercise sunlight visiting spiritual places,all benefit such individuals.

possessed ppl behave in ways that can cause isolation hence for the ppl who are friends family members and loved ones need to play

a crucial role in their care and might need to tolerate such erratic behaviour for long periods of time'

but sustained love and care can benefit every condition,

:)

Exorcism need s someone who is well versed in the process and is also willing to help without material gains such a priest or spiritual healer is able to provide varying degrees of relief it also depends upon kinds of possession no authoritative document or scripture can be quoted at the moment because anyone can become sceptical .

400 years back we said microbes dont exist we,believed that but we found they are just not visible to the naked eye but the whole world has more microscopic life than we can imagine ,how possession happens is not the point we must go to every possibility to cure such a person .

The energy of disembodied beings hinders the normal life activities,Im sure that science will have to be developed to

Give more conclusive remedies and also we must carefully observe the ppl who claim to be possessed or appear to be possessed,it might be useful to find out instances of those possessed whose case histories became famous in the past,Their is no organised religion in the world that doesent have claims of such beings and how to send them away.

If psycotherapy and spiritual healing and love and care of family is provided all becomes well.sorry if im going on and on ill keep it short

• Like 1

Think about it in terms of cognitive psychology. If a person truly believes that they are possessed, and that demons exist, then to them, that is in fact reality. Thus whether or not demons actually exist is really arbitrary, because each individual perceives everything in their own way, and has their own unique reality in every aspect of life.

This is what I try to get at, but then feel dirty for telling someone who doesn't agree. Because in their reality, they're right.

I don´t think that demons can possess people. Psychic problems like possess I think do elemental astral beings, ( larvae ), see you Stanislas de Guaita, The Serpent of Genesis and The Key of Black Magic. Not a high beings like demons.

as much as demonic possession cases may be a case of mental illness

but i don't doubt there is real demonic possession beyond doubt in my opinion

people talk of languages they never learned before

or knowing things they couldn't possibly know such as secrets

these things where the term of mental illness fail

and all they do is just " assume " that they learned the languages or knew the secrets

my vote goes to yes

as much as demonic possession cases may be a case of mental illness

but i don't doubt there is real demonic possession beyond doubt in my opinion

people talk of languages they never learned before

or knowing things they couldn't possibly know such as secrets

these things where the term of mental illness fail

and all they do is just " assume " that they learned the languages or knew the secrets

my vote goes to yes

There is the possibility that they knew things they thought they didn't, because all knowledge sits somewhere in the mind, just not readily accessed. It doesn't necessarily have to be an outside entity feeding information in. As odd as my possibility sounds, I think it is more realistic than a separate entity that is evil invading your mind to implant thoughts and things you say.

There is the possibility that they knew things they thought they didn't, because all knowledge sits somewhere in the mind, just not readily accessed. It doesn't necessarily have to be an outside entity feeding information in. As odd as my possibility sounds, I think it is more realistic than a separate entity that is evil invading your mind to implant thoughts and things you say.

For some invoking can, in the least, clear and focus ones mind and help them see something they might of not seen before. Now how far does this go into demon possesion, I say deppens on the person.

I'm reminded of my teenage days when one of the party members would hide an object/belonging in a box and the rest of us would invoke spirits/demons for guessing what was in the said box.